Scolopendra hardwicki help

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i was wondering if anyone knew where this(Scolopendra hardwicki) species is being sold? id really like to own one!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In short, no, it's not available. It seems there have been one or two that made it to Europe in the past. Since there are no invert exports from India it doesn't seem likely there will be any in the near future.

Cheers,

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
danread said:
Since there are no invert exports from India it doesn't seem likely there will be any in the near future.
according to some old literature on scolopendromorphs Sc.hardwickei should also occur in Singapore, Sri Lanka and even towards Java

but i don't know if that data is up-to-date or correct,... maybe there's still some hope ;)

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've sen a laaaaaarge one in the bus from Hamm(large show for tropical animals in germany) . Really impressive. i think a friend took a picture of it. I'll see if I can find the pic.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
so what is the largest centi readly available in the trade? cause id really like to own a big one..

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, if you're new into pedes I think you should consider a smaller species to start with(still aggresive) and learn the basics about pedes and then go on with the hardcore species like S gigantea, S subspinipes, S viridicornis(if they are available??) later on.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i know, but im not a big fan of pedes id really just like to own a big one, i already own a couple Ts and scorps, id just like a large pede, ill read all about it before i buy it. something around 10"(+) would be awesome.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have a 9 1/2 inch scolopendra subspinipes and theyre fun to have but real aggresive. i just got a scolopendra heros yesterday and he seems much easier to care for as well as much less aggresive and not as quick as the subspinipes, he was $20 and my subspinipes was $50, if you want a good place to get em at heres some good spots good luck:clap:

www.swiftsinverts.com (swifts inverts)
www.chameleoncounters.com (got my scolopendra sub. there)
www.gladesherp.com (glades herp)

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
btw im from california as well and they all my inverts get here alive (exept for my vinegaroon)....

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
aftershock said:
I've sen a laaaaaarge one in the bus from Hamm(large show for tropical animals in germany) . Really impressive. i think a friend took a picture of it. I'll see if I can find the pic.
Just replying to let yet know that I am very interested in that picture if you can find it! I bet many other people would really like to see that too! :drool: It's the closest that most of us will get to having one.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would totally go for S.subspinipes if I were you. I go one as my first giant scolopendrid and I have no regrets. They are large (mine's about 10-10.5in), aggressive,good eaters and fairly active. They are also quite easy to keep as long as the basic set-up needs are met and can live fairly long lives. I would not however spend more than 35$ for one as they are a common species (I got mine for free through a trade) so do some shopping before you buy.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what about $40 dollars for a 6" one and whats the basic care, ive never owned a pede, and would like to read as much as i can before i go and buy! thanks!