scolopendra eating raw meat

angel of death

Arachnopeon
does any one know if its safe to feed scolopendra sp. raw meat? because my scolopendra subspinipes ate raw meat the last time i fed it thank you

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As Centipedes are opporitunistic feeders by nature it's probably not going to cause much harm. I wouldn't make it a habit though.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, they will defintiely scavenge if given the opportunity. The downside to feeding meat is that it isn't a 'whole' organism, and therefore lacks the full range of nutrients. By feeding whole roaches/crickets etc, you include all the organs, and i think supplies a more balanced diet.

Cheers,

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
good way to feed him

I read some threads on feeding raw hamburger meat to pedes and i thought up a good idea.I got a piece of raw burger and rolled it into a ball, then i crushed two crickets and a meal worm and rolled it into the burger ball.this is easy to do and not very expensive,this way, your pede will be getting the food they need to grow along with the nutrients he needs to b healthy.My pede will arrive tommorow morning and im gonna feed him one i made first thing.If this is succsesful,i will post it immediatly.meanwhile, you should try this with your pede, tell me how it goes:}

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My S. subspinipes (Malay Cherry-Red) ate a bite-size (human-size that is!) piece of a Subway roast beef sandwich. I just recieved it in the mail so I had it in an empty 10 gal while I prepped it's tank. My buddy shows up and puts the last of his sandwich in the tank. I didn't even know what he was doing but when I looked down, the pede had it wrapped and was munching away!
It ateeverything! Bread, pepperoncinis, meat, tomatoes, and whatever else might be in a Subway roast beef sandwich. It didn't seem to have any ill affects afterwards either.