Scolopendra cingulata variations

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A thread to post your Scolopendra cingulata variations. Please include as specific locality information as you can. If you can include sizes too that would be great (in cm, this is a European species, it doesn't know what inches are).

Here is one from Andalucia in Southern Spain. It's about 9 cm.

IMG_20190130_113432_006.jpg

Here is a S.cingulata from Croatia (although I was also told it could be a S.dalmatica) it grew to around 7cm.
IMG_20180909_225357.jpg

And here is one from near Madrid in Spain, around 13cm, in an enclosure which at first glance seems damp, but if you look closer you can see its just a sprinkle of water on the surface and the substrate is actually pretty dry. In my experience S.cingulata are best kept bone dry. I have lost a few to mycosis, and I have found them in absolute dust bowls in the wild (and most photos of them in the wild show completely dry soil).

20180427_145829.jpg

Last edited:

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Great pedes bro!
My biggest cingulata is 17cm (body length!). If anybody wants proof I’ll get my ruler out ;)

There are giants in France, as I’ve already stated before. It would be interesting to know this species’ real maximum size..

Anyway, I’ll repost pics I’ve already put on the other thread haha
Those three are from a locality I’m keeping secret, I can only tell you it’s on the shoreline near Marseille ;)

7E091FF5-ACB6-46D9-A906-BF42D265C911.jpeg 92D49A3B-9433-4309-90D0-3FDF178DC316.jpeg 5F8E6ACE-EF81-4E14-850F-9F95773CB803.jpeg

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I always seem to miss acquiring some the few times they ever get offered for sale.

Odium

Arachnopeon

Another olive-yellow color version of S. cingulata (Southern coast of Crimea).
This particular specimen was approximately 14 cm BL.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another olive-yellow color version of S. cingulata (Southern coast of Crimea).
This particular specimen was approximately 14 cm BL.
Cool looking specimen! Is there a big centipede keeping community in Russia?

Odium

Arachnopeon
Cool looking specimen! Is there a big centipede keeping community in Russia?
Unfortunately, not. Plenty of people keep tarantulas (including myself) and we definitely have big arachno-community, but centipedes are far less popular in captivity.)

On the territory of the former Soviet Union, S. cingulata can be found in Crimea, Caucasus and some other southern areas of Russia and Ukraine. Several of color morphs exists - i own one juvenile female (8 cm, Crimea) specimen similar to photo above, and one subadult/adult male (10 cm, Northern Caucasus) with darker body and orange legs. Both are burrowed at the moment, so i'l post photos later.) Several times i saw black morphs with red legs in Ukraine.

Perhaps, I should visit France to catch several brown specimen.))

Attachments

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps, I should visit France to catch several brown specimen.))
Just double check they are found in the specific area you visit. I grew up near Nice, and that's one of the parts of Southern France where you don't find them. In fact I could not believe when I found out a few years ago that these animals exist in France and at such large sizes, as I spent my whole childhood flipping rocks everywhere we went!

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey, sorry for such a late reply..
You won’t find them in Nice for sure, you have to go further West to find them.
You can search around Marseille, and in the region around Aix-En-Provence as well!
The red-legged specimens that seem common in Ukraine are extremely rare in France, I only know of one locality..
We don’t have any blue-legged localities as far as I know, which is a shame, and I do hope to eventually find one, but those are only found in Italy as far as I know.

There’s also a green-legged (green as in subcrustalis, it’s quite incredible) and black-bodied morph in Israel, which is really quite something !

ovrdrvprotocol

Arachnopeon
Beautiful looking pedes!

Might anyone know where I could find/source an s. cingulata for sale here in Europe.
My searches end up with barely anything ((or there just are none for sale atm) OR I'm not looking hard enough.), and a scolopendra cingulata would be perfect for me to start the hobby with!

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
They’re not currently being offered as far as I’m aware. But keep an eye out, I have had one of my females mated. :)

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey, would you mind giving me some contact info for this guy? I’ve been wanting to source those green legged ones for a while.. ;)

ovrdrvprotocol

Arachnopeon
I gotta inquire for the contact info as well, if you don't mind. :)
This would be a great opportunity to get closer to getting my first scolopendra.

Odium

Arachnopeon
Hey, would you mind giving me some contact info for this guy? I’ve been wanting to source those green legged ones for a while.. ;)
This is Russian analogue of Facebook, I don't have any other contacts with him, as i don't use any social nets. Met him during "Reptilium" - trade event that happens twice a year in Moscow. I could buy green legged morph from him (he had several specimen for sale), but I didn't know they are rear - the above-mentioned 1.1 S. cingulata are my first pedes in collection.) Maybe, I should get some next time, when i see him.