Scientific Name Changes

J Dave

Arachnopeon
Taxonomic key for Tarantulas????

Is there such a thing for Ts? I have seen them for plant identification and other creatures of the earth. If there is a Key to Taxonomy of spiders and Ts on the web, I would appreciate a site ID to check out.
Thanks to all on this site; the wealth of knowledge I recieve through experienced keepers is GREAT!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hey J Dave,

If you want taxonomic keys for tarantulas, this publication is a good place to start:

• Raven, Robert J. 1985. The spider infraorder Mygalomorphae (Araneae) : cladistics and systematics. Bulletin of the AMNH ; v. 182, article 1

This includes other Mygalomorphae besides tarantulas. It contains keys with which you can ID tarantulas to genus level. (Might be out-of-date at some parts.)

As for ID-ing to species level, you should look for publications dealing with the genus in particular you are interested in.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree with you on that BUT what is the difference between Grammostola aureostriata, which means golden stripes in latin, and Grammostola pulchripes? Does any one know what pulchripes means in latin?
What is the matter with you? I never said that BUT aureostriata is latin for golden leg.
Aureostriata means golden leg...which describes it more accurate even though I agree it is a beautiful tarantula OVERALL! Well my female is.
Wait, I missed it the first three times...what does aureostriata mean?

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wait, I missed it the first three times...what does aureostriata mean?
I noticed when I try to get a laugh on here you are quick to post to say it's to "draw attention to myself" BUT when you do it...it's okay?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was actually doing it to point out two things:

1) You repeat yourself quite a bit
2) You are inconsistent. You gave two different meanings.

I just can't help posting replies to you. You're too easy to pick apart.

And, just to be sure, here are the smileys for this post and for my earlier one, since I forgot to put them in there:

:) ;) :} :rolleyes: :} ;) :)

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was actually doing it to point out two things:

1) You repeat yourself quite a bit
2) You are inconsistent. You gave two different meanings.

I just can't help posting replies to you. You're too easy to pick apart.

And, just to be sure, here are the smileys for this post and for my earlier one, since I forgot to put them in there:

;P YOU ARE WHO I THOUGHT YOU WERE!;P You get on here and say stick to the topics which you aren't doing. You say one is trying to bring attention to oneself which you are doing. And I knew you were going to come back with a lame excuse to justify. :clap: So thank you for proving that you are who I thought you were! Now I repeated myself. You are a cool guy...now I am inconsistent and gave two different meaning. How ya like dat?:D am You're too easy to pick apart? What? We are talking about tarantulas. You are grinning ear to ear as though you are picking me apart, if you want to call it that, a politicial scandal. If you are happy I am glad I made you day!

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Should I post on my sticky how to properly quote someone, too?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
@ everyone - stop provoking him, please. It's terribly easy and impresses no one.. find a more challenging target or find something else to do. Infractions will be dealt if not heeded.

@ Lennie Collins - Chill yourself out or I can chill you out, your pick. You know where the "Report Bad Post" button is, yet you consistently respond instead of report, don't you? We all know you love the attention, but it's not helpful. Thank you in advance.

Please continue.

-MrI

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
*checks the calendar* Will I get an infraction if I laugh right now?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Was this a set up?
No, you're just a victim of your own inability to not make threads revolve around you. I have a curse myself... it's "the inability to tolerate repeated foolishness". We all have our burdens.

-MrI

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lennie,

aureostriata is the junior synonym of pulchripes.

i'm sure reading through the other thread concerning the switch from aureostriata to pulchripes will shed much light on this situation, if you haven't already done so :)

-dan

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sometimes name changes are really needed, but IMO, sometimes it is really just to publish an article. I don't know if I can translate it directly, but often it is just some enculage de mouches (fly f*cking, or f*king flies...), unuseful changes just to prevent people from learning taxonomy once and for all, like a big recent taxonomic change, birds are now into the class reptilia, and other reptiles are now non-avian reptiles... Too simple to say birds and reptiles I guess ...Does it makes taxonomy clearer to anyone? I don't think so though there are some arguments that it does, since we seem to have accepted the change...