Scarlet Millipeds

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

These are Trigoniulus corallinus right?

Bought ten of them for $20 :) at the Taylor michigan reptile show. Set them up a little container and hopefully will get some babies and a colony started.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet deal. Anybody know how easy it is to breed these? I have been thinking about buying 10.

satchellwk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The pedes look great and you got a really good deal on them (I suppose that can make up for your container issue).

Crackerpants, they're fairly simple to breed. I got about 6 last year from Peter, and, even though they've all died by now, they left me a bunch of babies without any real effort on my part. I guess they were all wild-caught adults that probably didn't have much left in them anyway.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Nice looking Scarlets. They breed readily in captivity. I purchased 5 adults in May. I observed them mating in July, and in October, I spotted my first pling pictured below.

---------- Post added 03-10-2013 at 11:06 AM ----------

jreidsma, you don't need a water dish for your millipedes. Proper moisture in the substrate and regular misting is all they require.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ahh alright, I guess I will be taking the water dishes out then. It's just a habit to put water dishes in with everything by now lol.

I did get pretty good deals on most of the stuff, I think everything was wild caught though. But if I get babies from them it doesn't matter ;)

Here is their tank now

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ooh they have a nice color. How big are they?

You might wanna add a couple more inches of leaf litter. I've heard deeper substrate can encourage breeding.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am new to millipedes, so I cannot answer you question from experience. But my friend (Roach Crossing/Kyle) breeds them and I have heard that they breed rather readily.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am new to millipedes, so I cannot answer you question from experience. But my friend (Roach Crossing/Kyle) breeds them and I have heard that they breed rather readily.
Thanks! Kyle is a great guy and I buy a lot of roaches from him. I do not have any scarlets, bumblebees or Narceus americanus but it is good to know they are all easy breeders.