Sc.S sexing attempt

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
I thought I'd give it a go to see if I have a female and male for future breeding. The species is Sc.S De Hanni, notoriously tough to captive breed.
Anyway here are some pics of my pairing attempt.
This is not a breeding enclosure just a pairing box.

Attachments

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
I wish I would've had put something in the box to compare size with, but slipped my mind.

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
I have very little knowledge on breeding pedes, what I have gathered is from this site and a couple others.
Why when I submit a pic or post the page tells me "database error"? and kicks me off the site? I'll come back on and it is posted.

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
Anyway, to make a long story short everything looked good until about 5 minutes in. They both started showing signs of aggression by lifting their hind legs and the one pede was walking around with his upper half off the ground.
I guess at the time I didn't take it as a bad sign as neither of them attemped to attack.
But when the attack happened, it happened really fast. I could do almost nothing to seperate them.
I guess I'll be leaving the breeding to the big boys, I just lost one of my favorite pedes over this attempt.:mad:
Here's a couple more pics. The first pic is when I decided they had enough of each other, and is precisely when then attacked each other.

Attachments

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

I'm really sorry about your loss, but i take my hat off for your courage!

Greets
Turgut

ahas

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Better luck next time. Sorry about your loss.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good attempt. Maybe you should have added more cover, more spaces to hide and get away.

Strange, I don't see no OBVIOUS signs of aggression in the pics before the attack. Too bad it happened though. I'm about to try the same thing once my other S.s.s surfaces again. They have slightly different colormorphs, but are the same size roughly.

How big were yours? It's belived that age calms their behavior and hot headedness.

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
I had 2 cork bark in the box originally, it was there just to let the pedes get comfortble. Once they settled down a bit I removed the bark, and the screen.
I borrowed that ideal from my mentor here on this site. The ideal is to just get the reaction from both pedes then seperate them. In case of an attack they can easily be seperated without all kinds of hides in the way. But when they attack, hides or no hides it happens soo fast that it's to late anyway.
The box they were in is 3'by3' lots of room for them to run if they wanted. At no point did they run away from each other.
The pedes are roughly 7 1/2"-8' BL. Sorry bout the poor picture quality seems I spend all my money on insects, one day I'll upgrade my camera lol.

Attachments

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Outch... losing a pede always sucks... But you know what? It really makes me glad to see that you're putting some nice efforts into captive breeding :). Let's hope you get better luck with the sc.alternans in the near future :).

phil.

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
Thanks Phil,
I always think positive brother, on the bright side I have a couple more adult De Hannis to try out.;)
Has anyone tried to sex pedes using screen enclosures with any success?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that sucks dude...it really is hard not knowing what sex they are...or even if they are compatible they may just not want to at that point...but way to go for trying!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that is why i only keep wimpy species... i can reach in and pull them apart with my hands if need be

as far as i can tell you did everything perfectly and just had bad luck. did the pedes seem to keep running away from each other when they met? it seems like they were being pretty chill with each other

TheForSaken

Arachnopeon
At no time did they run away from each other, for the first couple minutes I was certain I had a pair, they seemed pretty comfortable.
Maybe thats were I went wrong. The first couple minutes was golden then perhaps then the environment wasn't right so they just kindda snapped out of confusion? Maybe I should'ved seperated them a little earlier, and set them in a proper breeding enclosure? They even spent a minute under the same bark.
What do you guys think?
Later
TFS