Salamanders?

Gr8Reptile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey I was thinking about getting a salamander and was wondering if anyone could suggest a specific species. I also have a few questions about these critters:
1. Are they REALLY hard to keep?
2. How much does a salamander usually cost? (Depending on which species you suggest.)

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tiger Salamanders are easy, and interesteing amphibians to keep. They will run you about 40 bucks although they are protected in many states so you might want to look into this before getting one.

If you do some internet research there are plenty of sites with info...

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Salamanders are neat pets and most of them are easy to keep. If you want an aquatic salamander, axolotls are great. Really easy to care for and you can get them from most science supply stores for around $30. I have a greater siren that is cool too. They're native to Florida and I had him shipped to me from there so it cost around $80 total but he was well worth it.
I also have two eastern spotted newts. Super cute and you can find them for less than 10 bucks usually. They're native to the east coast also.

The next salamander I want to get is a fire salamander. I've been reading up on their care, it's hard to find a shop that sells them but they're really beautiful. They're around $50 and you can buy CB ones. They're not too hard to breed I hear.
I would get a caecilian but how to care for them hasn't been well established yet. I still might give one a try someday. :D

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second tiger salamander And if bass fishing is big near you and you dont mind morphing them you can prolly get larvae at a bait store for around $3

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Salamanders are neat pets and most of them are easy to keep. If you want an aquatic salamander, axolotls are great. Really easy to care for and you can get them from most science supply stores for around $30.

where did you get the axolotl?

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Micheal Shrom in Ephrata PA sells TONS of Axolotls...he might not be too far from you and he always has alot of them on hand all year long.

Good luck.
Danny

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go with Tiger salamander, I got the local variety we have here so it's not as colorful as the other subspecies but still love it.

Cjacques

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tiger sallies are a blast. Low maintance and get to impressive size. Not to mention hardy little buggers. I have monster of a Tiger I use for educational shows and he is always a big hit.

On a side note Caecilians are also relatively easy to keep; you will just never see the terrestrial ones. And my aquatic (T. Natans) are amongst the pride of my animal collection. I have 12 of them and can spend hours watching their antics.