Sad about my versi sling

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
It's been over a month since my versicolor sling had a bad molt and came out all twisted. In that month the sling has not eaten anything I've offered, even pre-killed prey. I give it plenty of water. I'm just sad because I think it's going to die. If it was gonna molt again to fix itself, wouldn't it have done so already?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's been over a month since my versicolor sling had a bad molt and came out all twisted. In that month the sling has not eaten anything I've offered, even pre-killed prey. I give it plenty of water. I'm just sad because I think it's going to die. If it was gonna molt again to fix itself, wouldn't it have done so already?
Maybe try feeding a slurry of feeders(mashed up crickets/ mealworms)and place it right in front of the spiders mouthparts.

It's unlikely that your sling will have the strength to molt if it hasn't had a meal since the previous molt.

Once it's eaten it's odds of survival will drastically increase. Good luck.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
And offer water close to it's mouth as well. Internal hydration is very important for molting as well.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not necessarily. The interval between molts depends on a lot of factors, including the age/size of the sling (the older/bigger they get, the farther apart the molts are), how much the sling has been eating, and even the temperature. A sling that is kept in a warmer environment and power-fed will molt sooner than one that is fed less frequently and kept cooler. In this case, if the sling is not eating or eating very little, it may take quite a while to molt - if it is able to do so at all. It does require energy to regrow the damaged legs or other body parts and the new exoskeleton, so if it really isn't eating anything, the prognosis is not good. Is it just the legs that are twisted, or is there anything wrong with the fangs? If there is a problem with the fangs or with the sucking stomach, then I'm afraid your little guy probably isn't going to make it.

Have you observed the sling drinking? If it is able to drink, you might try offering "cricket soup" or other mashed/liquified prey. You can place a drop of the liquid food right in front of the spider's mouthparts with an eyedropper - or even touching the mouthparts - to try to entice him/her to eat.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Maybe try feeding a slurry of feeders(mashed up crickets/ mealworms)and place it right in front of the spiders mouthparts.

It's unlikely that your sling will have the strength to molt if it hasn't had a meal since the previous molt.

Once it's eaten it's odds of survival will drastically increase. Good luck.
And offer water close to it's mouth as well. Internal hydration is very important for molting as well.
Not necessarily. The interval between molts depends on a lot of factors, including the age/size of the sling (the older/bigger they get, the farther apart the molts are), how much the sling has been eating, and even the temperature. A sling that is kept in a warmer environment and power-fed will molt sooner than one that is fed less frequently and kept cooler. In this case, if the sling is not eating or eating very little, it may take quite a while to molt - if it is able to do so at all. It does require energy to regrow the damaged legs or other body parts and the new exoskeleton, so if it really isn't eating anything, the prognosis is not good. Is it just the legs that are twisted, or is there anything wrong with the fangs? If there is a problem with the fangs or with the sucking stomach, then I'm afraid your little guy probably isn't going to make it.

Have you observed the sling drinking? If it is able to drink, you might try offering "cricket soup" or other mashed/liquified prey. You can place a drop of the liquid food right in front of the spider's mouthparts with an eyedropper - or even touching the mouthparts - to try to entice him/her to eat.
The issue is the little bugger is totally mobile so just putting food on its mouthparts is likely impossible. It runs (albeit shakily) away every time I open the tank or put anything near it. I'm not sure if anything is wrong with the fangs the sling is only 3/4" and the mouthparts are very small.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The issue is the little bugger is totally mobile so just putting food on its mouthparts is likely impossible. It runs (albeit shakily) away every time I open the tank or put anything near it. I'm not sure if anything is wrong with the fangs the sling is only 3/4" and the mouthparts are very small.
If it is mobile, just put a few drops of the liquified prey somewhere in the cage - maybe on a small bottle cap or other tiny "dish" so the liquids don't soak into the substrate before your sling finds them.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Sad News

I found my little sling dead this morning. I had made a little dish of mealworm soup the night before but it is likely I was far too late.