S. mesaensis won't eat or burrow much

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I got an S. mesaensis in July and I've only been able to get him to eat twice. Not that that's unusual for a scorpion or anything, but along with always running away from food, he won't eat prekilled mealworms either. Today I got some small crickets for him, but he won't eat live or prekilled crickets either. He's also not burrowing, he seems to just use his hide as a cover. I've included a picture down below. The substrate is vita-sand ad jungle mix. I suspect it's not stable enough to sustain a burrow - anything I can do to improve that? Just want him to be happy.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I use a mix of excavator clay, sand, and peat/coco fiber for arid burrowing scorpions. It holds well and I haven’t had any burrows collapse. Pack it down well.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Agreed, this species would appreciate a clay mixture. Firm enough to support burrows, but not a too high clay percentage that it becomes impossible to burrow in.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Agreed, this species would appreciate a clay mixture. Firm enough to support burrows, but not a too high clay percentage that it becomes impossible to burrow in.
How do I test its quality for burrowing before I put the scorpion in?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
70 / 30 mix of sand & excavator clay, respectively.

Also, while those trex skull things look cool they're not good hides.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Mix the clay with sand and water. Let it dry out for the most part before introducing the scorpion.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I use 100% play sand and mine digs like a madman. Like for such a small scorpion it puts my fossorial tarantulas to shame. Packed it down really well. PXL_20210325_051625723.jpg PXL_20210331_050246153.jpg
Has several chambers all the way on the bottom now. Comes up to hunt at night like normal.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I use 100% play sand and mine digs like a madman. Like for such a small scorpion it puts my fossorial tarantulas to shame. Packed it down really well. View attachment 398750 View attachment 398751
Has several chambers all the way on the bottom now. Comes up to hunt at night like normal.
Ive got mine in his new substrate now for a few days but he still isn’t digging at all. Maybe he just doesnt like to.
Also, he doesn’t come out at night, or ever.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
The substrate is like 60/40 excavator clay and sand
60% is excavator clay? If you use more clay than sand, I think the scorpion will have trouble burrowing.
Sometimes they don’t start immediately, but in this case, I don’t think he will even be able to. Not 100% sure.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
60% is excavator clay? If you use more clay than sand, I think the scorpion will have trouble burrowing.
Sometimes they don’t start immediately, but in this case, I don’t think he will even be able to. Not 100% sure.
I just did what the comments in here recommended. Someone said 70/30, other threads say 50/50. I went with a middle ground. What I did was use the included shovel and do one scoop of clay, then a scoop of sand, until the enclosure looked full enough, then an extra scoop of clay. I mixed it with my hands, put water in it, then dried it out in the sun. And it doesn’t feel super hard. It’s firm, but I can easily scratch it with my fingernail.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I just did what the comments in here recommended. Someone said 70/30, other threads say 50/50. I went with a middle ground. What I did was use the included shovel and do one scoop of clay, then a scoop of sand, until the enclosure looked full enough, then an extra scoop of clay. I mixed it with my hands, put water in it, then dried it out in the sun. And it doesn’t feel super hard. It’s firm, but I can easily scratch it with my fingernail.
Try giving it a starter burrow.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
They said 70% sand, 30% clay. Not the other way around.
But if it’s not too hard like you say, this shouldn’t be an issue. A starter burrow might help indeed, and patience, maybe the scorp just needs some time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They said 70% sand, 30% clay. Not the other way around.
But if it’s not too hard like you say, this shouldn’t be an issue. A starter burrow might help indeed, and patience, maybe the scorp just needs some time.
This