S. h. castaneiceps natural environment

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Someone asked a long time ago for a pic of the environment I've seen a few of these in. Sometimes it takes me a while but I usually pull through. My challenge is going to be finding the "mystery pede" I've mentioned. I know it could be something common that I am just ignorant of but...it's worth trying to find another one. Can't figure out what it is. Anyway, I threw in one arachno pic in case these pictures are boring to some. I big part of their diet around here may be the cave crickets. I think these centipedes are pretty numerous around here but hard to find for me. They have the honey combed rock to walk around in. I've seen big ones in caves in this hill country. I've heard reports of them surfacing when the jackhammers start up at construction sites. This is Georgetown Tx by the way. Just north of Austin Texas.

Last edited:

Anthony

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With the hiding places in that enviroment no wonder they are a mystery.The jackhammer vibrations must disturb them.

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the pictures. Great to see the natural environment for these guys. Is the terrain similiar for the S.h. arizonensis?
Mike

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That looks nearly exactly like one of the campsites I stayed at this summer in Guadalupe Mountains, at about 7500 ft. The prickly pear usually didn't grow up that high though. I will post a comparable pic shortly.

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is that west Texas? Sorry if that's a goofy question. I have no idea what the range of S. h. castaneiceps is, and it looks like familar terrain.

Tim

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pine Top, Guadalupe Mountains (West Texas)

We saw several smaller Castaneiceps, but more of the pale kind with black ends and yellow legs (some of these were monstrous!)

Bush Mountain summit, just for interest

Western Diamondback, the only critter picture that I could find (I was not the photographer)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool. The area in the other pictures are of the Georgetown Tx area. I really like the centipedes you are talking about. Scolopendra heros heros. I have found them going across the road in West Tx. How big do think the biggest one you saw was? Nice view.

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While we were in McKittrick Canyon (I think thats how its spelled) we spotted one that could easily have been a foot long.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Goliath said:
Thanks for the pictures. Great to see the natural environment for these guys. Is the terrain similiar for the S.h. arizonensis?
Mike
S.h. arizinosensis I have observed live in rockier and drier habitat than this, and only appear during the monsoon season. I have found your typical S. heros in very moist wet foret before.

324r350

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found most of the heros (which I have been made aware is the kind with nearly identical head and, uh, tail (is that what it is?)) in the lower, and as a result drier and rockier terrain. The forestry which was significantly above the desert was where all of the red headed castaneiceps were.