Rosies do the darndest things

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So let's hear about the class clowns of the arachnid world...the G. Rosea

What's the strangest thing your rosie has ever done?

Streetfighterz

Arachnopeon
Not Really Strange

Hey hows it going? Its not really strange, but it was pretty funny. My G. Rosea is about 3" long, and it was the first time i saw it walking up the glass in its tank. And my g/f walks in and sees it...her reaction and the noise out of her mouth was something like this: "da-da-da-da-dan wha-wha-wha-wha-what is it doing; meanwhile she was backing out of the room"
It was funny, but i guess you would have had to be there.

Good day
Dan

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I tried adding some moss to its tank, it picked all of it out and dumped it into the water bowl!

JonPaul

Arachnopeon
One of mine flips his water bowl over, causing a loud, glass on plastic clang.
Another will go from docile and nice to *screeeeee!!!!* and on four legs, "salivating" at the thought of getting his fangs in my hand.... hehe.

Gotta love those wacky roseas.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
Both mine do a 3 stooges act so I guess I will need another so the act is complete.

Ok they don't really but it would be nice if they did cause I'm fed up with the Charlie Chaplin impressions they both do. :rolleyes:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Tescos said:
Ok they don't really but it would be nice if they did cause I'm fed up with the Charlie Chaplin impressions they both do. :rolleyes:
Your lucky then all the one's iv seen do an impression of a pile of crap :rolleyes:.

8 legged freak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the strangest thing mine has ever done is walk under the lid of the tank to the other side then re-arrange all the decoration in it's tank.. not really funny, except from when it flicked hairs on my brothers hand muahahahahaha ;P {D :evil:

ilovebugs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oohh boy...

well, the most recent thing was more of a shock.
I have my Ts on a dresser with a mirror mounted to the back.
About a week ago, I took the top off to water and feed my biggest female, then I started doing something, and had my back turned for a minute, then I looked over and got a shock seeing her clinging nearly two feet up the mirror, she made it to the top, and I think she got scared when she realized how thin the top was.

I had one survive a two foot fall, and then find it's way to my sisters room.

and once I tested for a reaction using a mirror to show the spider what it looked like. AHHH I thought it went mentally insane it looked for the "other spider" for at least an hour. I thought OH NO I warped it's little brain.

Pathogenic

Arachnopeon
My Rose has managed to squeeze his 4.5" fat butt through a space the size of a pencil to get to the other side of a divided aquarium.

He has also apparently webbed his hide to the sides of the enclosure, kind of like an anchor, or perhaps so he doesn't inadvertently fall down behind it.

He also climbs like a champ.. all the time... always getting stuck at the top.. I guess Tarantulas don't have very good memory.

I have managed to touch this tarantula in just about every way imagineable and it has never once even made close to an effort to bite me. It's the sweetest T alive, seriously. All he wants to do is eat crickets, drink water, and lay around and be lazy. But don't get the wrong idea... this isn't just another Pet Rock Rosea... he goes on daily expeditions every day around his cage. Feeling the glass, webbing the ground, climbing up and down, cleaning himself, chilling in the water dish.. he's always doing something neat. It's funny... everybody told me a Rose Hair was going to be boring, but my Aphonopelma Sp (Carlsbad Green) female is the boring one. You're lucky if she moves once a day, if at all. She will also bite the hell out of you even if mildly provoked.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yikes well where do I begind. I got my first ever tarantula (a Chile Rose named Buffy) this time last year and what a great introducation she was. Some strange things she has done include the following...

Once I noticed she removed all the substrate from her hide and dumped it on one side of the tank. I flattened it all out again but she attempted the same again. I turned the light on in the middle of the night to see her with a ball of compost in her palps. We both looked at each other for a minute and then she dropped the compost and bolted back into her hide as though she knew she'd been caught bonny. {D

Anothr time I went to change her water and she scuttled out her hide, grabbed the water dish with her two front legs while I was lifting it and refused to let go. Eventually I got her off and changed the water and put it back in. She dipped one foot in the water, turned on her heels and ran back into her hide. A while later she emerged again from her hide, lifted the water dish, tipped it upside down, and then went back into her hide. As good a way of saying "that's what I think of that" as I can think of! {D

Lloth9

Arachnopeon
Lol, mine tries to attack the water when I fill up it's dish. It always lightly webs the ENTIRE ten gallon aquarium it is in as well. No matter what substrate I change to it will do this for weeks after a house cleaning.

I had a friend in high school who had a rosie too. He could put his finger under her fangs so they were all curved around his finger and she would just sit there. Absolutley the most docile spider I have ever seen.

Maybe not too strange, but it amuses me none the less.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine webbed the entire surface of the substrate. one time when i tried feeding it with a cricket using a tweezer it immediately jumped on the cricket while im holding it with the tweezer in midair. my g rosea was hanging in midair for around 5 seconds, then i immediately dropped the cricket. good thing that i didnt freaked out or else i might have harmed the t. :)

Pathogenic

Arachnopeon
cloud711 said:
mine webbed the entire surface of the substrate. one time when i tried feeding it with a cricket using a tweezer it immediately jumped on the cricket while im holding it with the tweezer in midair. my g rosea was hanging in midair for around 5 seconds, then i immediately dropped the cricket. good thing that i didnt freaked out or else i might have harmed the t. :)
That's awesome, lol. My Rose is so amazingly slow that when I'm cleaning out the tank he will climb all over, usually out over the top, up over my arm, down my hand... back onto the glass, then onto my computer desk. It's kind of like his exercise for the week :D He is seriously the most docile tarantula ever. i am consistently surprised by his lack of aggression, and he has never once made any kind of threatening gesture towards me, and I wouldn't be so surprised at that, except he aggressively rips crickets apart, and even goes as far as to chase them down most of the time, whereas alot of T's will just sit and wait.

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its very active during feeding time. it moves very fast once the prey lands on the substrate. most of the time the prey never gets a chance to run or hide. i dont handle my g rosea anymore because it has become more nervous. maybe its because i havent handled it for around 2 months. :)

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Since we have waaay more members now, I thought this might be a good one to bump:)

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
9 times out of ten one of mine stalk's locust's around the tank but doesn't actually eat them :?

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my old one was by far the meanest 8 legged thing i have ever owned. she would first hiss when even aprouching her tank then strike at everything that was withing 3 inches after opening her tank.

my current rosie loves to just expore her tank over and over and over again.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine will be fine untill i look in her tank than she wiggs. She will run in circles than run into her hide away. She has not flicked hairs or anything at me yet, but she will run like the wind as crazy as ray finkle!