Rosie dead or molting?

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Rosie, who hasn't eaten in a month or so and has been REALY CRABBY lately, is laying on her back, half in her burrow, half out on her web carpet thing, with her legs splayed out at all different angles. I'd take a pic but my camera is out of batteries.

Is she likely to be dead or molting? I'm afraid to touch her and find out, if she's molting I don't want to bug her...

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the fast replies guys.

My tiny B Smithis have molted before, but I didn't get a chance to see them do it, they did it over one night each. I've not had my spiders that long, this is the first adult I've seen molt.

Thanks again!

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't flip onto their backs when they die, although for some reason a lot of people seem to think they do. :)

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't flip onto their backs when they die, although for some reason a lot of people seem to think they do. :)
I think people think they do because they bother the spider when it's trying to molt, and so they kill it. :rolleyes:

Good luck on the molt! Let us know how it goes. :D

357wheelgunner

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You and ANY starter should do a DEEP search on T's before starting the hobby. I'm not trying to be rude, but owing a T and not knowing how a molt happens...
I read those articles before, and guess what....not much about molting, certainly not enough for positive I.D. of what she was doing. At least I knew enough to ask before trying to move her or something.

There's a first time for everything guys. I'm guessing that many keepers, including people who read stuff on the internet aren't quite sure what's going on the first time their spider is lying still on its back. There are things to get all uptight about (giving spiders water sponges, keeping a T on gravel, etc.), a first timer asking a question isn't one of them. It's not like my post was titled "I picked up my molting spider and I think it died" or anything like that.

Rosy now has a shiny black carapace, the molt went well last night (we got to see the finale, it was amazing, like watching a birth!) and now she's splayed across her enclosure relaxing after a hard night's work.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats gr8. Can u manage to take some pics ?

Dont worry. Everyone is right on this topic. 357wheelgunner,Radamanthys etc...We do have to start somewhere, and when u start, u wont know everythin by spending hours here (just like i did/do) and sometimes we need to do some stupid questions ofc... just relax, lets enjoy this amazing hobby ;D

//Tiago