Rose Hair questions

RoseHair

Arachnopeon
Hello, im rather new here and new to owning a spider. My local pet store gave me a whole entire turantula starters kit. It came with a fairly large teranium, tree bark chip reptile substrate, a water dish and sponge, a half tree log thing for it to hide in, and a zoo meds under cage heater. I already found out some stuff i am doing wrong. Is there anything else i need to know?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. You need to get rid of the heater, the tree bark chip substrate, the sponge and the half log. The half log might be O.K. if you keep the contianer dry, like you should, But I have read that there is a potential mold problem with them that could affect your T adversely. Get some peat moss or untreated potting soil , the water dish and a hide such as a small flower pot on its side, keep at room temps. Read the stickie at the top of the threads on rosies. And your set.

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah. what David said. Ditch the sponge and put a piece of cork bark in the water dish. Crickets aren't exactly the brightest creatures on the planet and WILL drown if they fall in the water dish.

A little tidbit: G. roseas like things dry. Keep the substrate dry and don't mist the enclosure, either. The water dish will provide enough moisture. Unless you like crispy-fried tarantula, don't use the heating pad, either.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, the heating pad is a bad idea. Keep things dry, use a water dish. No need to mist a rosea at all. Feed her at least two crickets a week. They can and will eat a lot more with no ill effects. We have no problems awnsering any questions you may have at all so keep posting!

RoseHair

Arachnopeon
i have learned alot so far, i was told to use the heating pad in the winter, should i not even do that? Its just a small one and it almost doesnt even move the temperature guage up at all.

Mikey_G.Rosea

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the temp. guage in the dirt? I wouldn't use the heat pad unless your house gets super duper cold, like below 60F...

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
If planning on putting the heating pad underneath the enclosure, no don't use it at all. Using it in this way keeps the T from finding a cooler area to retreat from the heat. It can be used relatively safely if it is only used to heat one side of the enclosure. This doesn't trap the T where is would have to stay even close to the wall if it doesn't want. Might require some inventive duct taping to put it up on the side you want it

But in truth, if your home is heated to 68-70F, you can be much better off forgetting the heating pad. Though maybe your toes will enjoy it those dark, cold January days... :eek:

Tarantula's do have seasons in the wild and many might get much cooler safely for short periods of times in their burrows. Sure, they don't eat nearly as much in this cooler temperatures, but they will feel the changing seasons. This is often the needed clues for them to start actively looking for food, mating, and molting. I know that my home is warmer in the summer, though rarely getting over 74-75F, but there is at least some variation. And it is picked up by the Ts

So, I've kept slings and adults, in temperature ranges that are comfortable for humans, for several years with no ill effects. Getting to 68F is rare, but there is that occassional time here in TN that works the heat pump some. Never lost any that were due to being too cold or warm for them...

RoseHair

Arachnopeon
The heating pad is under the left back corner, under the T's carved out half log thing, the thermometer is in the upper left back corner on the glass. Its always reading like lower than 70 F almost all the time, it doesnt get any lower than that so i dont know exactly what its at. Should the thermometer move closer to the bottom of the cage where the heat source is?

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heh...

i made that same mistake when i got my first t , a rosie also. Ditch the heat pad, buy a snake or sumthin and use it for that, but the rosie doesnt need a heat pad. Peat moss is great for t's, along with normal potting soil. A mix is a good idea too, try 50/50.

The sponge isnt a good idea, unless the rosie is tiny, it wont drown in its water dish, and it can most likely walk right over it. As for crickets drowning, just throw in a cricket, if the t doesnt eat it in a couple of hours, it most likely isnt very hungry, so try again in a day or two.

Dont forget to take the cricket out of the tank, as it can stress out yor rosie and also may bite it when it is asleep.

good luck and welcome!

-mikey