Roommate refuses to interpret at exotics store

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
So, a tiny bit of background...I’m profoundly deaf from birth and nonverbal. I use ASL and typing exclusively to communicate.

Anyway, today I asked my roommate (an interpreting student) if she wanted to ride down and grab feeders with me. I mentioned on the way that I was thinking about talking to the owner (a pretty cool chill dude) about his (abhorrent) tarantula husbandry Wood chips....sponges...screen tops...etc.

She was telling me that he’d probably take it as rude and it would be awkward for her so I probably shouldn’t say anything. We were chatting a bit about T’s while I was checking out (my roommate, interpreting and voicing for me) when the owner pulled out a g. rosea juvie to show me.

It had basically no sub and a big nasty sponge. I started signing some suggestions. Nothing over the top, just bottle cap water dish etc. and my roommate stopped voicing and walked away which was basically a “F U” “shut up”. I carry a tablet with a chat app for nonverbal folks but didn’t bring it as I figured I’d have a terp.

I don’t know where else to go with this and this is probably an odd place to rant about it but I’m still pretty upset with my roommate. I don’t think I was being rude at all. Just trying to be helpful. She disagreed with my decision so she took my voice. (She’s not gonna get many jobs if she does that with her deaf clients but I guess I’m not paying her lol)

basin79

ArachnoGod
So, a tiny bit of background...I’m profoundly deaf from birth and nonverbal. I use ASL and typing exclusively to communicate.

Anyway, today I asked my roommate (an interpreting student) if she wanted to ride down and grab feeders with me. I mentioned on the way that I was thinking about talking to the owner (a pretty cool chill dude) about his (abhorrent) tarantula husbandry Wood chips....sponges...screen tops...etc.

She was telling me that he’d probably take it as rude and it would be awkward for her so I probably shouldn’t say anything. We were chatting a bit about T’s while I was checking out (my roommate, interpreting and voicing for me) when the owner pulled out a g. rosea juvie to show me.

It had basically no sub and a big nasty sponge. I started signing some suggestions. Nothing over the top, just bottle cap water dish etc. and my roommate stopped voicing and walked away which was basically a “F U” “shut up”. I carry a tablet with a chat app for nonverbal folks but didn’t bring it as I figured I’d have a terp.

I don’t know where else to go with this and this is probably an odd place to rant about it but I’m still pretty upset with my roommate. I don’t think I was being rude at all. Just trying to be helpful. She disagreed with my decision so she took my voice. (She’s not gonna get many jobs if she does that with her deaf clients but I guess I’m not paying her lol)
To be honest I can understand her reasoning. Plus she did make it clear she didn't want to be the messenger yet you still tried to make her.

I'd send an short initial email to the owner explaining you'd like to type about the tarantulas he keeps. If you get a positive reply then you can either choose to write out a detailed email or organise to go in and sit down with your tablet.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
To be honest I can understand her reasoning. Plus she did make it clear she didn't want to be the messenger yet you still tried to make her.

I'd send an short initial email to the owner explaining you'd like to type about the tarantulas he keeps. If you get a positive reply then you can either choose to write out a detailed email or organise to go in and sit down with your tablet.
Yeah, I guess I put her in an awkward situation but I kind of consider my terp an extension of myself in the moment. Which is somewhat selfish.

I’ll try emailing him. I’d never make an attempt at a big box store but he seems to care...is just uninformed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I guess I put her in an awkward situation but I kind of consider my terp an extension of myself in the moment. Which is somewhat selfish.

I’ll try emailing him. I’d never make an attempt at a big box store but he seems to care...is just uninformed.
Well fingers crossed he'll take on board your suggestions. Keep this thread updated if possible on how you get on.

krequiem

Arachnopeon

Sure, you weren't paying her, but she did agree to interpret for you and as such it does seem fairly obnoxious to agree to do so, but bail just because she might've been uncomfortable. They were your words, not hers. Even if you had been rude to the guy and she was interpreting she Still wouldn't have been being rude because they weren't her words. She's going to have to get used to interpreting things that make her uncomfortable at some point. This seems like a fairly low stakes situation to have started learning how to do that.

At least now you know to bring the iPad with you in those circumstances. :-/

Email sounds like the way to go here for now.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Sure, you weren't paying her, but she did agree to interpret for you and as such it does seem fairly obnoxious to agree to do so, but bail just because she might've been uncomfortable. They were your words, not hers. Even if you had been rude to the guy and she was interpreting she Still wouldn't have been being rude because they weren't her words. She's going to have to get used to interpreting things that make her uncomfortable at some point. This seems like a fairly low stakes situation to have started learning how to do that.

At least now you know to bring the iPad with you in those circumstances. :-/

Email sounds like the way to go here for now.
Yeah, the being uncomfortable thing is something she’s going to have to get used to a bit. For ex, the woman I hired as my academic terp now goes to doctors appointments with me so umm while she’s singing about film history at school she also has my bowel routine in the back of her head lmao

But seriously....ya know...

Well fingers crossed he'll take on board your suggestions. Keep this thread updated if possible on how you get on.
Yeah, I think he’ll be receptive. The first time we discussed T’s he said he was new to inverts and open to advice but we didn’t have much time to get into it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I see why she walked away.. But I also think it wasn't fair of her to do that to you.
I hope emailing goes well and the Ts get some better conditions!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Jeez, just type it up and print it out so you don't have to deal w/this. This is a non-issue in terms of communicating to the store owner, btw, waste of time.

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, just write a letter...even direct him here for more education on housing.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I dunno. Maybe give her a bit of a break on this instance if she is just a student. I don't know anything about the skill, but I figure that there are some nuances and finesse that have to come with it, and that might take a little more time to learn than the technical aspects. If she fails to improve, it might not be the vocation for her. And really, there is no shame in that, lotsa people realize after a while that they made a wrong choice. Some soldier on and become adept, though.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I wouldn't do this for you or any other deaf person either. In fact I am getting anxious just thinking about it.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
yeah, just write a letter...even direct him here for more education on housing.
I was actually thinking about doing that

I wouldn't do this for you or any other deaf person either. In fact I am getting anxious just thinking about it.
I just don’t think what I was trying to say was that big of a deal. I was making a couple of suggestions not grilling him. I see why you’d find it uncomfortable but you’re not a sign language interpreter :)

I dunno. Maybe give her a bit of a break on this instance if she is just a student. I don't know anything about the skill, but I figure that there are some nuances and finesse that have to come with it, and that might take a little more time to learn than the technical aspects. If she fails to improve, it might not be the vocation for her. And really, there is no shame in that, lotsa people realize after a while that they made a wrong choice. Some soldier on and become adept, though.
A lot of nuances and finesse! Signed languages have their own grammar, structure and syntax and just as “complicated” as any spoken language.

She’s about a year and half into studying ASL so she isn’t fluent but I think she’s doing well and could make a good terp...just maybe needs to work a little bit on the interpersonal part.

Things are fine between us now...she was annoyed and I was upset when I posted this but, we both get where the other is coming from at this point.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Ya know, this site is (sans the multiple daily questions about pre-molt, not eating, bald patches, and hiding) tremendously interesting and educational. I’m on here more than I should be. However, another reason I devote so much time on AB are some of the ancillary sub-plots. This thread for example, if you are not or don’t know someone who is deaf, such an issue may have never entered one’s mind. Plus, you can take what is posted here and apply it to other contexts in life. Thanks @Asgiliath!

Arterion86

Arachnopeon

This. Hope it goes ok.