Roaches!!! Die Die Die

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok.. its safe to say that I hate roaches, all kinds... except babies for some reason, but other than that.. I hate them ALL!!!

IN MY OPINION, They have no purpose, even thow I know they ecologicly do.

Im so glad that when i got into the Tarantula hobby, I finally found a use for them... FOOD!

what do you all think? anyone share my opinion?

No offense to those who like them.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, I'll bite.

What's the big deal with roaches? And, how can you like one bug and really hate another? Third, have you ever heard of anything to do with biology or ecology? Most prominant in your post is the ignorant and contradictory phrase: "They have no purpose, even thow I know they ecologicly do."

Are you just bored and wasting time or do you have a reason or point to make with this topic?

There, that should get you started.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You hate roaches? Sounds like you haven't cuddled with any B dubia to me. They're real nice little critters.

Roach is a very large family. Some members are great, some are the nastiest little critters ever (Blatta lateralis...I'm looking in your direction, and don't get me started on Batella germanica). The big slow tropical roaches are nice pets. The little nasty ones are sometimes good feeders. The rest...well at least they don't keep you up at night chirping. :)

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I find cockroaches much more interesting, useful, and important than people who arbitrarily hate them.

Out of curiosity, do you have any kind of fact-based backing for that opinion, or are you just as senselessly socially conditioned as the people who hate all arachnids, bees, snakes, etc. because someone told them they were scary/gross as a child? You already somewhat schizophrenically acknowledged that they fill an important ecological niche. They're also pretty biologically and behaviorally complex and fascinating. Shall we guess your hatred stems to some irrational feeling of "icky" or a distaste for their tendency to "invade" human homes?

Ritzman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love my hissers. The Dubia I have are used for feeders, but I hate to have to feed my hisser nymphs off. Aren't they kinda like a clean-up crew for the wild? Eating decaying vegetation/fruit/animals and whatnot.
They are awesome creatures that will thrive and thrive and thrive.

JBoer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there's a simple answer, they have been here 350-400 million years i don't know, we have for a tiny fraction of that number and we haven't faced our first mass extinction yet. you hate them because they are better you, all of us.

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's the big deal with roaches? And, how can you like one bug and really hate another?

Seconded! A bug's a bug. They all go splat when you step on them, they all look like aliens under a magnifying glass and they all have a place. Having said that the bugs that bite you, sting you or fly up your nose without provocation do not need to be shown any mercy. Especially the ones that fly into airways. Man that drives me nuts. Plus side: Protein!

dairy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At the risk of feeding a potential troll...

What purpose do you, or any living being for that matter, have/has?
Sounds like you're asking for the meaning of life, which is totally subjective. But for my money all life, including you, me and the roaches, serves one purpose...more life!

texascowboy1979

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
actuallly, the reason I hate them so much is because of my father... when I was a little boy, umm around 5 or so... I had a tramatic experience... I was scared of them for some reason and my father caught one in his hand and he FORCED me to hold it in my hand and then he crushed it in my hands... I will never forget that feeling... it still sends chills down my spine.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you would have suggested mosquitoes or chiggers as nuisance serve-no-purpose critters i may have sympathized, but roaches, no way-- roaches rock!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like you actually hate your father. Or at least you should and not the roaches. If someone sends you a bad message in the mail, should you hate the postman or the letter sender?

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What did this guy think was going to happen, its like he wanted people to flame him. Roaches are extremely advanced biologically but they have not done nearly as much as humans have or created the things we have. They are completely ignorant in reality, but they have had over 300 million years of evolution on us. You cant judge a roach vs a person, in the long run the person is better, not our decisions, but the human being itself. Roaches cannot change the world the way a single person can.

P.S. sorry to hear your parent would make you do something like that, it kinda disturbs me.

AgentJared

Arachnopeon
Geez guys he put in the boldest letters you can that it was his opinion. And you cant generalize so much and say how can you like one bug and really hate another. Because whatever your favorite band may be, I doubt you like every single song. Same thing.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IN MY OPINION, They have no purpose, even thow I know they ecologicly do..
Your opinion is unfair, outlandish and disturbing.

actuallly, the reason I hate them so much is because of my father... when I was a little boy, umm around 5 or so... I had a tramatic experience... I was scared of them for some reason and my father caught one in his hand and he FORCED me to hold it in my hand and then he crushed it in my hands... I will never forget that feeling... it still sends chills down my spine.
I think it's preposterous when people fall back on "bad childhood experience" as a flimsy excuse to hate and fear completely harmless, beautiful natural organisms. It's the lamest excuse in the book and I firmly believe that anyone who WANTS to be over such mediocre "childhood trauma" already would be. I refuse to accept it as anything other than willful ignorance.

I was physically harmed or startled by every sort of animal there is at some point during early childhood, and have no phobias whatsoever.

And what if your father did the same thing with a tarantula? Would you still be a hobbyist? All arthropods squish just as messily. How does the feelng of killing one make you hate roaches? They sure as hell can't help the fact that their splattered guts feel - perish the thought - unpleasant. So would yours.

Last edited:

Scolopendra777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find cockroaches much more interesting, useful, and important than people who arbitrarily hate them.

Out of curiosity, do you have any kind of fact-based backing for that opinion, or are you just as senselessly socially conditioned as the people who hate all arachnids, bees, snakes, etc. because someone told them they were scary/gross as a child? You already somewhat schizophrenically acknowledged that they fill an important ecological niche. They're also pretty biologically and behaviorally complex and fascinating. Shall we guess your hatred stems to some irrational feeling of "icky" or a distaste for their tendency to "invade" human homes?
Hey Im schizophrenic AnY Way Let People who like roachs like roachs and people hate them hate them !

bhoeschcod

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What did this guy think was going to happen, its like he wanted people to flame him. Roaches are extremely advanced biologically but they have not done nearly as much as humans have or created the things we have. They are completely ignorant in reality, but they have had over 300 million years of evolution on us. You cant judge a roach vs a person, in the long run the person is better, not our decisions, but the human being itself. Roaches cannot change the world the way a single person can.

P.S. sorry to hear your parent would make you do something like that, it kinda disturbs me.
I agree with you.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
all I'm gonna say; Cockroaches are AMAZING creatures, and they don't get enough respect from people.

"ewwwwww those hissing cockroaches are gonna escape and infest your house"

:mad:

people just won't listen, I hate it when people are so ignorant.. less than 1% of roach species are pests, yet all you get is "I don't care they are still gonna infest the house"

it makes me so goddamn angry. plus, cockroaches are an incredibly important insect; ecologically.