Roaches are yuck lol

JDS123

Arachnosquire
so after many years of keeping reptiles, tarantulas and other such creatures.......am I the only one that wouldn't care if a tarantula egg sack opened in your ear, but the roaches still gross me out lmao??

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Besides mealies and supers, they're probably some of the cleanest feeders out there, I kept locusts once and they are truly disgusting creatures.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
Besides mealies and supers, they're probably some of the cleanest feeders out there, I kept locusts once and they are truly disgusting creatures.
oh i know they are clean for sure, its just roaches are one of the only things that give me the creeps anymore still. Im fine with hissers and other slow pokes, its somethin about once they get wings that just throws me off. Yeah I finally overcame my hatred for giant grasshoppers, i bet locusts I would just love lol! I live in CA and the roaches that bug me the most are the long winged glistening brown yucky jerks here lol.

I dripped a little wine on the counter once and a 3 incher got in my house somehow, was on the counter, sipping the wine spill, and i swear it turned to me and asked for a glass. I shoot you not it had a pentagram looking satan mark on its head lol. My cat caught it and ate it in front of me, I almost barfed lmao.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
what was disgusting about the locusts by the way?
They would defecate over everything and, unlike most feeders, the faecal matter is still sopping wet a good while after being passed so it's like a magnet for mould and pests, they're also extremely prone to cannibalism so cleaning out wet faeces and half-eaten corpses was a frequent and rather unpleasant business.

JDS123

Arachnosquire
They would defecate over everything and, unlike most feeders, the faecal matter is still sopping wet a good while after being passed so it's like a magnet for mould and pests, they're also extremely prone to cannibalism so cleaning out wet faeces and half-eaten corpses was a frequent and rather unpleasant business.
vomit lol

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
oh i know they are clean for sure, its just roaches are one of the only things that give me the creeps anymore still. Im fine with hissers and other slow pokes, its somethin about once they get wings that just throws me off. Yeah I finally overcame my hatred for giant grasshoppers, i bet locusts I would just love lol! I live in CA and the roaches that bug me the most are the long winged glistening brown yucky jerks here lol.

I dripped a little wine on the counter once and a 3 incher got in my house somehow, was on the counter, sipping the wine spill, and i swear it turned to me and asked for a glass. I shoot you not it had a pentagram looking satan mark on its head lol. My cat caught it and ate it in front of me, I almost barfed lmao.
Omg I thought I was the only one! I had a really bad experience with roaches in the past that pretty much traumatized me.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I found that after keeping a dubia colony, I actually appreciated roaches more. Just think of them as a flat-er beetle and maybe they won't creep you out as much? :)

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I found that after keeping a dubia colony, I actually appreciated roaches more. Just think of them as a flat-er beetle and maybe they won't creep you out as much? :)
Lol nice try nice try lol. Like i say, im fine till they get the big ugly wings lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Lol nice try nice try lol. Like i say, im fine till they get the big ugly wings lol
Then you'd really hate B lats (which I raise). The males have wings and these dudes are super duper fast roaches. Often called 'red runners' due to their speed.
It really makes Ts learn to either hunt faster or hunt smarter (i.e. lie in wait for one to run past and then nab 'em.

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Come on tell your story!
When I 1st moved in with my bf (now fiance) we stayed in this little house that had a few of them. His brothers came to stay with us and eventually a few turned into like a huge infestation. At 1st it didn't bother me 'cause i like things that creep, crawl, and slither - plus, they stayed in the kitchen and living room. But one morning I woke up and a few were on the bed and me :dead: let me tell you, I noped the eff out of there. I threw a lot of stuff away just because I was super paranoid with bringing them with me. And I got pretty pesticide crazy, but this was back when I only had my dog (who i still have of course).
It didn't help that earlier this year I tried to concur my fear when I got a bunch of free lobster roaches from an expo that I was going to use as feeders for my Ts - BUT, long-story-short, my fiance accidentally let a bunch of them loose in our apartment.... we were able to get rid of all of them (after a couple weeks). But it definitely didn't do my phobia any favors having large, fast, hard to kill roaches surprise me randomly throughout the day o_O

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
But only the adult males have wings, and they cannot even use them to fly. :/

Then you'd really hate B lats (which I raise). The males have wings and these dudes are super duper fast roaches. Often called 'red runners' due to their speed.
It really makes Ts learn to either hunt faster or hunt smarter (i.e. lie in wait for one to run past and then nab 'em.
I COMPLETELY agree. Red Runners are fast little buggers. They are usually too fast for me. *sigh* Plus, since they are so fast, they are prone to escaping, and unlike dubias, they WILL breed.

Dubias are incapable of breeding in temperatures under ~90* mixed with high humidity.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My wife loves the tarantulas, but is really upset we now have dubias around

JDS123

Arachnosquire
When I 1st moved in with my bf (now fiance) we stayed in this little house that had a few of them. His brothers came to stay with us and eventually a few turned into like a huge infestation. At 1st it didn't bother me 'cause i like things that creep, crawl, and slither - plus, they stayed in the kitchen and living room. But one morning I woke up and a few were on the bed and me :dead: let me tell you, I noped the eff out of there. I threw a lot of stuff away just because I was super paranoid with bringing them with me. And I got pretty pesticide crazy, but this was back when I only had my dog (who i still have of course).
It didn't help that earlier this year I tried to concur my fear when I got a bunch of free lobster roaches from an expo that I was going to use as feeders for my Ts - BUT, long-story-short, my fiance accidentally let a bunch of them loose in our apartment.... we were able to get rid of all of them (after a couple weeks). But it definitely didn't do my phobia any favors having large, fast, hard to kill roaches surprise me randomly throughout the day o_O
Good grief yeeesh lol

JDS123

Arachnosquire
But only the adult males have wings, and they cannot even use them to fly. :/

I COMPLETELY agree. Red Runners are fast little buggers. They are usually too fast for me. *sigh* Plus, since they are so fast, they are prone to escaping, and unlike dubias, they WILL breed.

Dubias are incapable of breeding in temperatures under ~90* mixed with high humidity.
Yeah idk, I think I'd be scared of a kitten if it had those overlapping clear shiny icky wings lol.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I on the other think dubia nymphs look rather cute and I feel sad feeding them away :(

Edit: It's very hard to get a dubia infestation. First you need to have carrots, melons, fruits, etc lying on the floor. I experimented on their feeding habits and they ignored the less delicious fruits and vegetables (they love carrots). Them eating cabbage or lettuce is just desperation. They dont eat meat either.

Second you would have to permanently turn on your home heater. lol. Third, you would have to be so reckless to keep them dropping them lol.

Last edited:

JDS123

Arachnosquire
I on the other think dubia nymphs look rather cute and I feel sad feeding them away :(

Edit: It's very hard to get a dubia infestation. First you need to have carrots, melons, fruits, etc lying on the floor. I experimented on their feeding habits and they ignored the less delicious fruits and vegetables (they love carrots). Them eating cabbage or lettuce is just desperation. They dont eat meat either.

Second you would have to permanently turn on your home heater. lol. Third, you would have to be so reckless to keep them dropping them lol.
"cute" lol..............pill bugs are cute, not roaches lol