Roach Food Questions

zm378205

Arachnopeon
I am looking into getting some B. Dubias to start my own colony of feeders. I have been doing some searching and found that a lot of people use cheap cat food/ dog food. I was wondering if anyone could give me a name or brand that they commonly use. Also, how much this food costs. I want to know what I am getting my self into before I start this new project.

Thanks for all the help

jmiller

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Purina® Cat Chow® You can get a twenty pound bag for $12 at Walmart. This should last you many months.

I dont use this but you could use Ol Roy dog food and get 50 lbs for $15 or so if you want cheaper cost.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally just get whatever's cheaper among they dry cat food brands. You can further discriminate by checking the "Guaranteed Analysis" portion behind the bags if you want to check what the food contains. In the end, I believe it just comes down to personal preference.

zm378205

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I also had another quick question. I have heard that the roaches thrive 85-92 degrees. I was wondering how most people achevied these temps. Do you use human heating pads, reptile heating pads, or another source and if other please explain. If there are other links that I should check out please let me know

Thanks

NinjaPirate

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have my colony in an aquarium so I just use a stick-on pad that I got from the pet store.