Risk of B. Lateralis Infestation in Delaware

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
I just received my new colony of Red Runners, somewhere between 100-200. While I was transporting them to their bin, I made the mistake of tipping it over and five roaches ran out. I killed them all before they could get too far, now I'm wondering how easily they could take over my house?
As the title states, I'm in Delaware and winter is oncoming. That aside, they are in a smooth sided plastic bin with three or so inches of Vaseline around the whole container. All of their hides are very low to the ground since I don't use egg crates. I'll pick up some packing tape tomorrow as an extra measure, maybe some roach traps for the room. I researched them quite a while before getting them but of course I'm worried a few escaped that I didn't notice. I have read that they can be left out all winter in freezing temperatures then regain activity and continue breeding when it gets warmer. How true is that? Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
They tend not to, but certainly are capable...where you live isn't really relevant unless you live in a tent or camper....homes have central heating, this eliminates the cold outside weather from effecting their potential reproduction.

With the proper precautions, like you seem to be taking, the likelihood is probably very low.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My cat tipped a bin with 200 adults in it this summer (my fault, I left it uncovered on a small table). About half escaped, the others were still in the bin. I put out a bunch of glue traps , caught a lot of them, and still step on one now and then. But I've never seen or caught any little ones. I live in Ohio by the way, so I'm only a little farther north than the OP.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
Glad to hear they didn't cause as much trouble as your cat did! My kitty only comes in when he wants the occasional stare at my mice, luckily. Every time I woke up last night, I checked on the roaches and haven't seen any more climbing. Seems good for now.

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Lats desiccate so easily in my experience. Unless your home is a humid paradise and has left over food out and about, spilling 1000 lats isn’t going to do anything. You’ll just find dried individuals over a period of a few weeks. Like any roaches, it is possible, but they’re not “infesty” imo.

Edit: yes, I’ve done the above in the house before.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Glad to hear they didn't cause as much trouble as your cat did! My kitty only comes in when he wants the occasional stare at my mice, luckily. Every time I woke up last night, I checked on the roaches and haven't seen any more climbing. Seems good for now.
I couldn't really blame the cat though. It was dumb to leave a open bin on small table that I knew the cat likes to sit on. I left room for a second to grab something, heard a loud crash and ran back in to see the cat watching roaches scatter in every direction.

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
MWAInverts, I can't imagine! Horrifying.

I can't blame my cat for anything either! At least it wasn't tarantulas that you left on the table. 0.0