rescued this dog i found on the street i saw laying on the ground

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the guy was telling us about something good he did, we don't need to lecture him.

if you don't feel comfortable with going up to a stray dog/animal there is an easy solution.. animal control, they know what they're doing and they'll take the dog away.
I'm just pretty open minded, I look at both sides to everything as much as I can. If you see something good, it shouldn't mean that you should turn a blind eye on the bad part of it. Thats how we learn, we go through the steps that we do and learn from the good and the bad sides to everything.

Its really irresponsible of you to say "oh if you don't like something you don't have to say it, just let the guy be happy"

Thats the kind of irresponsible behavior and attitude that leads to a lot of misunderstands and problems, which leads to further ignorance. I tutor kids daily and if they're not doing their work because they were lazy, I'm not going to just reward him/her and say "hey at least you did something right?!" and try not to hurt their feelings. You have to get into the problem, understand it, learn from it, and go from there.

What I'm saying is not wrong and I'm not going to shut up about it just to make the guy feel good about it. I can rescue a stray any time I want and post it on here too, I've done it actually when I was little, I rescued a lot of strays, but I was risking not only my health but the health of my parents and the people around us.

If you want to get me to shut up then give me proof that what I said in the posts above are indeed wrong. Otherwise, the only person that needs to shut up is none other than yourself.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not telling you that you're wrong or to shut up, I hope you didn't take it that way.. I know that accidents do happen, but a stray dog is no more dangerous than a person walking down the street with bad intentions. People get hurt and contract diseased everyday from tons of things, you just have to be careful about everything now a days.

All I'm saying is.. if you are concerned about a stray, call animal control.. they pick up animals for a living, so i'm sure they're more qualified than any of us to deal with a dangerous/diseased animal.. they do it everyday! I think (HOPE) that a lot of people know to do that already though.

I never pick up stray dogs, mostly because I never see them around here, and because I don't really like them. The only time I've ever picked up strays are if I actually know the dogs owners personally, so I know where the dogs live and where they came from.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want to get me to shut up then give me proof that what I said in the posts above are indeed wrong. Otherwise, the only person that needs to shut up is none other than yourself.
I didn't even read this part until right now, I never told you to shut up, so I don't think you should tell me to, I wasn't being mean..

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not telling you that you're wrong or to shut up, I hope you didn't take it that way.. I know that accidents do happen, but a stray dog is no more dangerous than a person walking down the street with bad intentions. People get hurt and contract diseased everyday from tons of things, you just have to be careful about everything now a days.
Sorry but telling me not to say something or to stop lecturing is almost as good as saying shut up or be quiet. You don't have to say it exactly as that but it still means it. If you threw someone out of your house, its as if you're saying get the heck out. You don't have to say get the heck out for them to get the point. (I make lame examples btw...haha)

Sorry for geting all nutty on you but I had my point to present and it wasn't a bad point either.

This comment is in response to the comment i quoted from you above:

---True that, thats why we avoid people we don't know. You shouldn't touch strangers you don't know and bring them home nor should you pick up strays and bring them home. People do contract tons of things everyday from all sorts of things, however, the first precaution to take is to try to avoid those things that you can avoid in the first place. If you really want to help out strays there are many other more helpful ways if you research. That is also why we have pet control, because the negative sides probably far exceeds the positive sides when it comes to your typical population and strays. Otherwise, they'll be encouraging everyone to do their job for them.

He did something good, but he should UNDERSTAND and ACCEPT that there was also something bad as well. Simple as that.

I'm also sorry for my bad attitude to you too Edie, I just hope next time you'll understand my point as well.

And to the original poster. Whatever I said still stands and I still think what you did was good but also irresponsible. You probably accepted the situation, but what about the people you come in contact with everyday? What if they got sick because of you and something serious happened to them? Don't be a typical human being and wait until something really bad happen until you learn your lesson.

Well I'm off to work. I welcome anyone on here to prove me wrong on the things I said in the posts above.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats your major? Have you studied intensively/thoroughly enough to call yourself a "professional" in diagnosing all possible illnesses and/or diseases that this animal can or may carry?

Sorry but even the people that really know about this (mind you, also from experience and not simply from opening up a book or searching/reading it through the internet) and are known as the "best" in their fields make tons of mistakes.

You say that you just don't go and save every stray you see, that you do notice the body language before you try to save them, but I'm saying that that is NOT enough to know what kind of diseases an animal carries.

If diseases are easily diagnosed by simply LOOKING, we wouldn't have nearly as much problem as we have and had before.

You have not a clue about the animals background or the things its been in contact with before so how do you know for sure what you're looking for in terms of diagnosing?

You say you're not picking up any strays without thinking, but by saying that it was okay because you checked the ANIMALS BODY LANGUAGE before you picked it up, shows me that you are indeed picking up strays without thinking.

I have never heard of anybody telling their kids to pick up a stray animal after they check the animal's body language....

If you are so confident about your methods, I hope you are confident enough to encourage the ppl that you know to do the same. My family knows a few doctors/physicians/and a vet or two (personally as we have cook outs and stuff with them and I bought a car from them and one's married to my mom's cousin) and I wouldn't even dare to bring up this kind of idea to them.

Sorry but if its something I definately don't want to share with anyone else, thats when I know its a bad idea lol.

I pray to God (I'm Christian btw hence the God part) that I'm not the only one seeing this. I'm very confident in what I'm saying here and I wouldn't be standing so strongly if I wasn't.

wow ok now when did i become a professional?i am sure i have said anything about being a professional on here so i dont know where you got that from.
and when did i say that i tell kids go pick up dogs from there body language??
who is perfect in this world? im sure nobody is everyone make mistakes all the time. I do know the possibilitys of diseases and everything and i have thought about that before i even pick him up. So i wouldnt go telling me i did not think before i picked him up. You can only say that i picked him up with out thinking if you were in my head at the time. Ok so if you dont want to share with anyone else thats you, not me everyone is different. just let me be and deal with it i dont really need you to assume anything about me or what i have done.

Like i said i knew the possabilitys before i picked him up

and for 1 thing im not a kid so get things straight before you start saying stuff that you dont know about and what happened

Last edited:

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for saying sorry, I'm sorry too for the "lecture" comment, but I want you to understand that I DO understand your point, I never said it was wrong! It is completely logical, and true. I'm not a stupid girl, I know about the bad things that happen when people try to do something nice. You hear plenty of stories on the news about people getting mauled by dogs, it happens, and its no secret. I just wanted to put the animal control thing out there because that is away you can get involved, but not be DIRECTLY involved with picking up a stray.. that way its safer for everyone.

And I don't think anyones going to try to prove you wrong, your points make sense.. but some other people had good, positive points as well. I think all the good/bad sides to this event were put out there, and thats that.

I just want Vietnamese510 to know that I'm glad he took this animal in, he did a good thing, and I'm glad he didn't suffer any of the negative consequences of rescuing a stray. It looks like a very nice dog.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow ok now when did i become a professional?i am sure i have said anything about being a professional on here so i dont know where you got that from.
and when did i say that i tell kids go pick up dogs from there body language??
who is perfect in this world? im sure nobody is everyone make mistakes all the time. I do know the possibilitys of diseases and everything and i have thought about that before i even pick him up. So i wouldnt go telling me i did not think before i picked him up. You can only say that i picked him up with out thinking if you were in my head at the time. Ok so if you dont want to share with anyone else thats you, not me everyone is different. just let me be and deal with it i dont really need you to assume anything about me or what i have done.

Like i said i knew the possabilitys before i picked him up
I think you did a great thing, and no one can make judgement about anything you did over the internet because you're right.. they don't know what went through your head at the time. I think internet forums are just a place where drama happens, theres no way to get around it. You just have to brush it off, I think a lot of people are on your side about this one.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think you did a great thing, and no one can make judgement about anything you did over the internet because you're right.. they don't know what went through your head at the time. I think internet forums are just a place where drama happens, theres no way to get around it. You just have to brush it off, I think a lot of people are on your side about this one.
Counting ME. I'm a dog breeder, and I DO have a Biology degree. I'm no idiot when it comes to knowing dogs, zoonotic diseases and the risks involved with both. The fact is, in the US, diseases in ADULT humans that are transmitted by dogs are very rare. You've got a better chance of being hit by a garbage truck driven by a British rock star-not impossible, but very IMPROBABLE. As for dog bites, again, a person who knows dog, whether or not they possess a degree in anything, can tell if a dog is a likely candidate for biting. Dogs give definite signals, in spite of what the sensationalistic media reports of dogs "just turning" would have you to believe. My experience with dogs(and part of my degree involved comparative behavior studies between wild, feral and domestic canines) is quite extensive, and has shown otherwise.

pitbulllady

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You guys sure do give me a good laugh sometimes. I'm so glad this is just the internet and I have everything else waiting for me after this. This is going to be the last time :D that i'm explaining this whether or not you guys get it or not. Certain people won't ever get it until something happens, I don't know you guys so I just realize that I shouldn't try so hard.

------------To Vietnamese510--------

First off man....I didn't say you were a professional hence the question mark at the end...that gave me a good little chuckle, thank you I was having a rough day and it was nice.

And further down...many of it is the same thing. I think you should read it a few times because you're confusing yourself.

I do know the possibilitys of diseases and everything and i have thought about that before i even pick him up. So i wouldnt go telling me i did not think before i picked him u
Response to the top quote. My answer: No you don't sir. Its that comment that makes me think that you're trying to go off as a "professional". You say you "know the possibilities of diseases and everything" but since you said you're not a "professional" and admit to it, you can't say that right after and make it a fact.

And what you said after that, I suggest proof reading before posting or at least attempt to edit. All I'm saying is watch out for yourself, you might think you know whats what until something happens....stuff happens all the time. Better safe than sorry.

and for 1 thing im not a kid so get things straight before you start saying stuff that you dont know about and what happened
Response to top quote: Being a kid or not doesn't have nothing to do with this, adults have accidents all the time as well. Just because you're not a kid doesn't mean you know everything and you can't make a mistake.

------------------edie----------------

Thank you for saying sorry, I'm sorry too for the "lecture" comment, but I want you to understand that I DO understand your point, I never said it was wrong! It is completely logical, and true. I'm not a stupid girl, I know about the bad things that happen when people try to do something nice. You hear plenty of stories on the news about people getting mauled by dogs, it happens, and its no secret. I just wanted to put the animal control thing out there because that is away you can get involved, but not be DIRECTLY involved with picking up a stray.. that way its safer for everyone.

And I don't think anyones going to try to prove you wrong, your points make sense.. but some other people had good, positive points as well. I think all the good/bad sides to this event were put out there, and thats that.

I just want Vietnamese510 to know that I'm glad he took this animal in, he did a good thing, and I'm glad he didn't suffer any of the negative consequences of rescuing a stray. It looks like a very nice dog.
See this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I'm going to have to take away my apology because you go around my point again. You tried to put on your compromising act and pretend like you understand but in the end you still congratulate him for rescuing the animal and THEN, this part makes me confused but it gave me another good chuckle, you said

I'm glad he didn't suffer any of the negative consequences of rescuing a stray
LMAO!! Its like your saying, thanks for helping me cheat on my test, I'm glad you didn't get expelled though. Completely irresponsible. Dude, Vietnamese510, these are the people that are going to lecture you if you ever do get messed up from rescuing a stray. They're going to be like "I never told him to rescue a stray I don't know what he's talking about".

------------Pitbulllady--------------

Whats funny is that you start off flashing that "oh I have a degree" kind of attitude.

The fact is, in the US, diseases in ADULT humans that are transmitted by dogs are very rare. You've got a better chance of being hit by a garbage truck driven by a British rock star-not impossible, but very IMPROBABLE. As for dog bites, again, a person who knows dog, whether or not they possess a degree in anything, can tell if a dog is a likely candidate for biting. Dogs give definite signals, in spite of what the sensationalistic media reports of dogs "just turning" would have you to believe. My experience with dogs(and part of my degree involved comparative behavior studies between wild, feral and domestic canines) is quite extensive, and has shown otherwise.

I think the dog loving side to you got the best of you. First off you say that diseases transmittable from dog to human are very rare. I can counter that and say, its rare but not impossible. Just because something is rare is not the same as something that can never happen. Again, you're not putting what other animals have come in contact with the dog into this equation. That really cracked me up because you really were on a roll there acting like you know all the possibilities.

As for dog bites, again, a person who knows dog, whether or not they possess a degree in anything, can tell if a dog is a likely candidate for biting. Dogs give definite signals, in spite of what the sensationalistic media reports of dogs "just turning" would have you to believe
If you learned that from getting a degree, maybe degrees are not a very good thing to get. You can't go out in the street and find a stray and just by looking at it, know exactly what it will and will not do. It can be accidental or not for all you know. What makes it laughable is that you all try to come off as some sort of psychics with phenomenal, out-of-this world powers that are able to tell exactly what a dog has, what disease they have and how they are simply by looking at them and their "BODY LANGUAGE"

Here's some statistics that I just yahoo-ed really fast because I'm going out to eat in a resturant with a few friends in a bit.

http://www.dogbitelegalcenter.com/resources/dogbite-statistics.html

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Why don't you all educate the public about a dog's BODY LANGUAGE and prevent ALL of those incidents?

Many of those incidents happen because people didn't expect the unexpected and ASSUME, like you guys did, that they knew what they were dealing with simply by looking.

---------------------TO THE PUBLIC (EVERYONE ELSE)-----------

All I simply tried to say was:

Watch out for yourself when trying to pick up a stray dog out in the street. Just because you think you know how the dog is or what it has, even if you know this by 99%...its that 1% that gets you in the end.

All I'm saying is that it is unsafe to just pick up a stray dog by looking at its body language and this is what happens. Irresponsible comments such as those that I hear in this post that makes me really fear for the future that is to come.

I just think that if you want to help a stray, there are many other more helpful ways that are safer for you, the animal, and the people around you.

No one has YET to give hard evidence that I'm wrong and they're still congratulating him {D

Sorry pitbulllady, flashing a degree around and saying you have lots of experience....is not PROOF and hard evidence.

I'm sorry if that surprises you but its not. If you guys still don't understand my point even till now, I'm going to leave you to your squabbling. I'm not saying this to feel good, just trying to speak my mind in hopes of you at least opening yourself to understanding this...and not be like edie who says she does but in the end shows that she doesn't...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Real

forreals tho you dont know and you dont know what i know so dont even tell me that i dont know the possabilitys of the diseases.
im tired of your stuff already. This is all i am going to say because unless you know the future then i would listen to you..
you cant read minds so dont act liek you know beacuse you dont know nothing about me.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
This thread is getting a bit off track, don't you think? Nobody here has clearly stepped over the line, but some of you are starting to toe it. Remember that debate can be good, but making it personal is not. I will be watching this thread as an administrator and will lock it if it gets out of hand.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
And now for my personal input:

Dealing with stray dogs has its risks. Dealing with non-stray dogs has its risks. We just adopted a dog who was not immunized against parvo so we had to keep her well away from anywhere dogs had been for over a month while she went through a series of vaccinations. All of a sudden, those pure-bred labs who can balance balls on their noses start to look like walking biological time-bombs since they could be assymptomatic carriers.

There are basically two things that have been engraned into all of us at a young age through television and school etc.

1. strays may very well be diseased
2. strays may very well bite

Nothing wrong with this -- both statements are true. That is why children are discouraged from picking up strays. This is the right thing to do. Children are also told only to cross the road at traffic signals, not to handle firearms and not to drink alcohol. Rightly so -- these are all the safest ways to deal with dangerous situations.

As we get older, however, we gain experience and learn more about how the world works. We learn to look both ways and judge traffic so we can jaywalk in safety. We learn which end of the gun the bullet comes from and that the trigger makes it work. Some of us also learn how to properly make a gun safe and how to fire it. Most adults chose to consume alcohol and the majority of them do so in a responsible fashion. All of these behaviours have risks associated with them, but as an adult you are expected to make an educated decision and balance the danger to the benefit.

In this particular case, viet has made a decision. He noted the dog's body language and made the decision that it likely wouldn't bite. He examined the dog's general health and decided there was nothing wrong with it besides an obvious injury. He then took it to the vet for treatment, inspection and vaccination. Let's do a cost/benefit analysis.

He could have been wrong. He could have been bitten. Those like Real scoff at being able to read a dog. I understand why -- most people I've met haven't a clue what cues a dog is giving off. If you want proof, just look at the small dog owners who excuse dogs showing agression as being "playful." It is, however, possible to read a dog. Most of them are actually blatantly obvious about their intentions if you pay attention. I will be the first to aknowledge that you can make mistakes -- but that isn't going to stop me from interacting with dogs. It is also possible to read people -- and sometimes you will be wrong -- but you can't spend your entire life not interacting with people because you can't read their intentions 100%. In the end, if he had been bitten it most likely would not have been serious. Even a small dog can do serious damage, but the majority of dog bites require nothing more serious than a few stitches and some antibiotics. So there is a slim chance of being bitten and a progressively slimmer chance of it being a more severe bite.

The other cost was that he could have been infected with something -- hell, he still could. It has been pointed out that the chances of this are relatively slim. The chances now that it has been inspected by a vet are even slimmer, as the most common of zoonotic diseases would have been screened for to some degree. You could also go to a reputable breeder and buy a purebred puppy and then find out it has some bizarre undiagnosed disease that came in on a rat or someone's clothing and that you are now infected. Slim chances, but that is the nature of life. You can get struck by lighting too -- doesn't mean you shouldn't go outside.

The benefit? Well, the dog gets a good home and viet gets what seems to be a good dog. On a grander scheme, it reinforces the default position that humans have that is to be compassionate and careing for others. A default position, I'm afraid, that is in danger of being reversed in our society.

Cheers,
Dave

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To SKINHEADDAVE

Response to your last 3 paragraphs

Its true that many things are rare, almost to the point of being impossible. However, like you said, just because there are dangerous things out there doesn't mean you have to shut yourself out from it, such as interacting with people.

However, picking up a random stray animal is not something you HAVE to do.

You also dealt a lot with percentage, but in my book, it either happens or not. Just because its listed as rare, does not mean its going to be rare with you. For all you know, it could just be luck of the draw and all of those "rare" things could just start happening and become not so rare.

And Dave, I wasn't really talking about AFTER he brought it to the Vet to get the check up, which by the way doesn't completely ensure anything unless it was very thorough (dna and the works, which cost $$$). I was more about thinking of what he could have gotten or what could have happened BEFORE that.

There are many probabilities. Like you said, even a purebred can have some unknown diseases as well. But that probability is higher in a stray dog that you know nothing of. Its just better to avoid things that can be avoided in the first place.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
d

well i took my risk of keeping the dog and taking it in so thats all there is to it.
And if something happens to i will sure to let you know real.

REAL

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i took my risk of keeping the dog and taking it in so thats all there is to it.
And if something happens to i will sure to let you know real.

To Viet, I'm glad nothing bad happened, I'm just saying something could/may have happened that you weren't prepared for. Good luck with your new dog. I rescued a lot of animals when I was little. I think my favorite were pigeons. I actually taught 3 of them to fly back to their cages. I let them free after they grew up and started getting restless. They still came back to my house even after a year!

I got most of my pets from picking up strays lol! Don't get me wrong, there were lots of problems from it...I got fleas, got sick a few times (not sure if it was because of that or not), and got bitten/scratched.

Later than I'm gonna go watch something :D

craig84

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That was a nice thing to do. Also, how are your little trapdoors doing? Iam sure Lucky is happy to have a owner like you. Good luck! Craig.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vietnamese510: You did a wonderful thing! I am so happy for the little guy. And for you! I have saved numerous dogs off the street and it always feels soo good. And they have turned out to be the BEST dogs. Just use common sense when approaching them...

I am glad that there are a FEW people out there willing to help out someone in need. Whether the one in need is human or animal. Makes the world a little nicer.

It was your own choice to make and it looks like you made a great choice! Good luck to the two of you, I hope you have a happy life together!

Jen

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you know what i think it is funny?

assuming viet isn't a complete idiot (which i think is a pretty safe assumption): he was more likely to catch something from the vet than the dog... and he was more likely to get in a traffic accident on the way to the vet than get bit by the dog. that last one isn't exactly statistically substantiatable... just a feeling i have =P

p.s. i think you did a good thing. i like animals more than most ppl =P