Rescued A. avic last night

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So yesterday I call up all of the pet shops in the area I could find (new to the area) and find many roseas, a blondi, an avic, and 1 shop that had an OBT and some others, I can't recall. I'm still very new to the hobby but I liked the idea of an easy arboreal, so I went to pick up the avic. I'm glad I did. They kept it in a small herp haven, which wouldn't be bad because he's only 2.5 in. or so but they had a heat light hanging directly above it, which I'm sure it didn't like. I've got it temporarily in a 10 gal. tank, I plan to put it in something smaller because it seems way too small for that tank. Now I have 2 Ts, a rosea and an avic. :D

P.S. I have a picture in the E fusillae section if anyone would like to try and sex it for me.

Last edited:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, hope you can "rescue" some more because now the pet shop will just order a new Avic to stuff in the little cage you mentioned. The little cage by the way was probably better (without the light) than the 10 gallon you now have it in which is way too big for a 2.5" spider.

Congrats and good luck with the new spider.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The choice of the word "Rescued" may make you feel better about your purchase, but you bought a tarantula; nothing more, nothing less. As you can tell I don't care for the term "rescue" when talking about buying a T at a LPS because one would have to forget what comes after the purchase, not such an altruistic behavior from a rescuer.

Not meaning to insult but the choice is pretty basic:

You could have purchased from a reputable dealer that takes care of all their tarantulas and you don't have to spend any time thinking about the mis-treatment of the one that comes after yours.

-or

You could buy from a LPS, forget the conditions your little guy was living in and the next little guy will be condemned to live in, and call it a rescue.

Nice spider. I hope you enjoy it!

Snuggles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now I have 2 Ts, a rosea and an avic. :D
Congratulations on your new tarantula! Those are two great choices to have because they are so different. You will enjoy them for many years to come.

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, hope you can "rescue" some more because now the pet shop will just order a new Avic to stuff in the little cage you mentioned. The little cage by the way was probably better (without the light) than the 10 gallon you now have it in which is way too big for a 2.5" spider.

Congrats and good luck with the new spider.
Yeah It was quite obvious as soon as I put it in the 10 gal. that it was way too big for him/her. Once I get home from work today I'll set up something smaller.

The choice of the word "Rescued" may make you feel better about your purchase, but you bought a tarantula; nothing more, nothing less. As you can tell I don't care for the term "rescue" when talking about buying a T at a LPS because one would have to forget what comes after the purchase, not such an altruistic behavior from a rescuer.

Not meaning to insult but the choice is pretty basic:

You could have purchased from a reputable dealer that takes care of all their tarantulas and you don't have to spend any time thinking about the mis-treatment of the one that comes after yours.

-or

You could buy from a LPS, forget the conditions your little guy was living in and the next little guy will be condemned to live in, and call it a rescue.

Nice spider. I hope you enjoy it!
Well actually I made it very clear to the store owner(s) that the conditions that spider was in would probably eventually lead to its death (dessication). I also tried to give them as much info on keeping them as I could so that hopefully they would take better care of the Ts they get in the future. They, like all LPS owners I've encountered, knew next to nothing about Ts. So I share as much information as I can in the hopes of them providing better living conditions.

Thanks!

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ouch. You guys are unforgiving and harsh.

DFox....unless the pet store owner was a close, personal friend of yours, he/she will probably not take any advice you gave. They are in it to make a buck, not care beans about the animals they sell. I once gave advice to a pet store. ONCE. I told the employee that the conditions they kept the Ts in were not good, and she looked genuinely concerned. She went to get the owner right away so he could hear what I had to say. He all but chased me out of the store and said if I didn't like it, I didn't have to come in and look at them. Of course, I've never been back.

I really do hope you have fun with the avic. They are sweet little critters. I love them too.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congratulations on your new baby!!!! Yes, you are right a 10 gallon is a bit big for now, but it will be fine until you can move it.

nasty bugger

Arachnopeon
Don't know where you live,
but they may turn the heat off in the store at night, and that light is how he keeps the spider warm, or he may have a lizard in there usually.

Enjoy.

I hope to find something nice at the mesa show tommorrow.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep mine in 10 gallon tanks set on end and they do great. I have kept smaller spiders in 10 gallon tanks and they seem to enjoy the space to roam. I have an A.Avic and a A. Metalica. I like the temperment.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a pic of my A. Avic's cage.

Last edited:

DFox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I got "Alpi" my new A. avic out of the 10 gal. and into a herp haven on it's end, he/she seems to enjoy that setup more, and I don't have to have a heart attack every time he/she climbs across the roof of glass.

Snuggles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I got "Alpi" my new A. avic out of the 10 gal. and into a herp haven on it's end, he/she seems to enjoy that setup more, and I don't have to have a heart attack every time he/she climbs across the roof of glass.
Yay! Avics are fun!

I have one of mine in a giant pretzel jug and another one in a Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium. I have an avic sling in a little KK.