Reptiles that eat insects all their lives?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Or why not a few Coleonyx spp. geckos
Wow, sweet! But I guess they don't have any large fat reserves? Daily feeding nessessary? :eek:

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Snakes

Aren't those snakes pretty small in general? I doubt they'd be able to gobble up a fully grown dubia roach... or am I wrong?

I've also been looking into legless lizards. That would be my top priority because they absolutely rock, but I don't seem to be able to get my hands on one

Check out this link on Green Snakes. Care sheet says they eat roaches (as well as many other bugs.) Sheet says they are voracious eaters.

http://members.aol.com/TheWyvernsLair/snakes/green.html

BTW - I have an Eastern Glass Lizard I found on the beach in South Carolina last November. They are very interesting looking, but spend almost all their time buried. This guy's a juvenile and medium crickets are his staple. I would offer him for trade, but have promised him to the curator at the local state science museum as a donation as their current specimen is getting old.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Wow, sweet! But I guess they don't have any large fat reserves? Daily feeding nessessary? :eek:
No not every day, every three days or so

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Crotalus said:
No not every day, every three days or so
Could they go a week w/o feeding in case of an emergency (so to speak) if properly fed for a time before that?

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Ok... what have you done to me?
I saw these:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=61232
and it seems I'm slowly warming up to the idea...

I WANNA HUG IT! :D
But is a pacman a frog an animal that will graceously accept a hug from me or will it try and eat my head? Does it secrete any poison or stuff like that and how about sounds? Does it call for mates half the night?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Instead of a Ceratophrys I´d go for a Bufo ssp.
They are more active (atleast the smaller species) and eat like crazy (which we all like)
Why not a Bufo marinus, cane toad.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Instead of a Ceratophrys I´d go for a Bufo ssp.
They are more active (atleast the smaller species) and eat like crazy (which we all like)
Why not a Bufo marinus, cane toad.
I'll check it out! Thanks for the suggestion... everything is more than welcome :)

Arach-attack

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How about a Frilled Dragon?
They are strictley carnivores and have a pretty healthy appetite.
Also very entertaining.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Arach-attack said:
How about a Frilled Dragon?
They are strictley carnivores and have a pretty healthy appetite.
Also very entertaining.
A very tempting suggestion. But I doubt I could give it an adequate tank size. The space I have to offer covers 1½X4½ ft :(

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
My pacman frog, when disturbed would puff up and smell like a skunk. But that was only when it was being disturbed by the cat. (who by the way, ended up with a cut paw and a bad flavor in her mouth)
He made several attempts on my life as well. Wanted to eat my hand and anyother body part I introduced into his cage... dont ask...

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They seem to spend their day planning their menus. Flies, crickets, dogs, cats, people, airplanes, dump trucks...nothing's off limits.

As for a B. Murinus...they seem to be difficult to find.

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As for a B. Murinus...they seem to be difficult to find.
Cane toads (Bufo marinus) are illegal in some states (for good reason in warmer climates) so depending where you live you may not be able to find them. Glades usually has them: http://www.gherp.com/gherp/pages/amphibstock.htm

Don't know about overseas availability...

Pixie frogs aka African bullfrogs (Pyxicephalus adspersus) are supposed to be great...huge and hardy.
There are some really great photos of them around the net...here is one:)
http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/pics05/bullfrog220.JPG

Lindsey

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about Ophisaurus apodus?
Have you looked into those?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LHP said:
Cane toads (Bufo marinus) are illegal in some states (for good reason in warmer climates) so depending where you live you may not be able to find them. Glades usually has them: http://www.gherp.com/gherp/pages/amphibstock.htm

Don't know about overseas availability...

Pixie frogs aka African bullfrogs (Pyxicephalus adspersus) are supposed to be great...huge and hardy.
There are some really great photos of them around the net...here is one:)
http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/pics05/bullfrog220.JPG

Lindsey
LHP...I love you. Seriously. I have been searching for almost two years for one.

Anyone got a caresheet?

Last edited:

LHP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem!

Also keep an eye out in pet stores... a lot of times they get in shipments with a few unsolicited marinus but they know they are not supposed to have them or they are nervous about customers wanting to take home the infamous cane toad so they give them a silly common name- "Giant SA Toad" or just "Toad." Sometimes they even have the name B. marinus printed under the made-up common name.

I have never had one (at this point even the easiest amphibian is too high maintenance for me!) but from what I understand they are really hardy and you care for them as you would an American or Fowler's Toad...just bigger. I hear they LOVE to spawn in koi ponds in Key West. (Looked around when I was down there but I couldn't find any) This is probably why Glades always has them...WC from Florida.

Have you looked at the Rococo Toad? I've seen those at quite a few herp shows.

Good luck!
Lindsey

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
RVS said:
What about Ophisaurus apodus?
Have you looked into those?
They are one of my absolute wanna haves! But they're very hard to come by :(

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
They are one of my absolute wanna haves! But they're very hard to come by :(
Hmm, I see them from time to time for sale here in the US.
If you're in you're in Europe I'd imagine they'd be even easier to find. I guess that's not the case.