Replacing G. rosea in pet stores.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Knowing that Chile has been closed for exportation and G. rosea is a really slow growing species what species of T do you guys think will end up being the new "standard" species for pet stores to keep in stock instead? Or do you guys think G. rosea will still be the pretty typical tarantula species to find at stores and will just be a little more expensive.

cold blood

Staff member
Pink toes are still brought in regularly and could easily be the LPS replacement.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
i'd guess a b smithi, but that's pretty much the standard one now (at least around here)

cold blood

Staff member
With CITES there's no low cost option for them, and slow growth will keep them out of the price range I think most LPS's would be willing to pay...Most LPS want something they can buy cheaply. Most LPS don't want to deal with CB slings, especially when they are slow growing.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Maybe rocks? ;)

I believe I read somewhere that G. rosea is found outside of Chile, in areas that have not been closed. So if that is the case, the market may not evaporate altogether. But that aside, they are captive bred to some extent. The thing is (imo) is that as you mentioned, they are a slow growing species and thus they will be more expensive if offered at "normal" per stores because your casual stores don't offer tiny slings, in my experience. So in the end, somebody will be paying for the extra time and effort exerted to bring them to store shelves in a form that will catch the eye of a customer.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
There's still reptile wholesalers bringing these in, in large numbers. One importer that I've been watching is still selling them in 25 lots for like 6 or 7 bucks a piece. That doesn't sound like a spider that's been shut off from export to me. These rumors have been floating around for years, I've yet to see it actually happen.

Later, Tom

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wonder how they are not endangered with the amount they export into pet stores /:|

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's still reptile wholesalers bringing these in, in large numbers. One importer that I've been watching is still selling them in 25 lots for like 6 or 7 bucks a piece. That doesn't sound like a spider that's been shut off from export to me. These rumors have been floating around for years, I've yet to see it actually happen.

Later, Tom
I haven't read any official Chilean documentation indicating they are banned from exportation. All of I've heard is people from the forum who know exotic pet dealers have been told by their sources in S. America that they can't be exported. I sure would like to read some official Chilean documents on this.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I mean it is possible someone just started a rumor to make more money off the rose hairs they were selling.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
But I really do wish they would get banned from export the population down there must be suffering a lot and I'm surprised they still have so many to import.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'm seeing mostly A.metallica, A.seemani (or more likely, actually sp. Guatemala) as well as an uptick in stocking of scorpions, mostly unspecified Heterometrus sp. But there's also been a lot of reports about crazy things like Haplopelma and A.versicolor.

cold blood

Staff member
It could be seemani, it certainly does seem like there is a serious uptick in availability within pet stores.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
huh, tried to add quotes but got nuthin':wacky:
It notified me though. Which fills me with glee.
On topic: The uptick in availability is nice; I like being able to go to a run of the mill pet stores and see something other than a defensive pinkish gray spider. But at the same time, it's terribly ironic that in trying to protect a few species, the solution is to put others in the firing line. I wonder how long before A.seemani (/sp.Guatemala) will be import banned for their protection because of this. :vulcan:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Ah! Use reply instead of quote.
(Can't figure out how to delete this extra post; I'm so used to any new quotes just being added onto the last post instead of double texting. :/ )

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'd guess A. seemani might replace G. rosea? Perhaps A. Avicularia? My local Petco hasn't had any t's for a while, I get the feeling they might not carry t's anymore, which is good news.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'm seeing a lot of A. seemanni (tcf), some small juvinile G.porteri/rosea, B. albopilosum, and a few scraggly Avics in the LPS here.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
@cold blood @Beary Strange

Just a heads up, "reply" is to quote that individual post. "Quote" is for quoting multiple posts. You select them by hitting the "quote" button in each post that you want to quote and then click the "insert quotes" button that appears to insert them.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I work for a family owned pet store and our distributor has not had G.Rosea or A.Avicularia available in a few months.