Remove hide? Or don't worry

Fullyauto12

Arachnopeon
Hello all, my T spends most of its time during the day (and night) in his hide, whenever I feed him he usually waits till its near and pulls it in and eats there. Should I take his hide off and check under it to make sure there isn't any cricket remains or anything else? Or just leave it be?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello all, my T spends most of its time during the day (and night) in his hide, whenever I feed him he usually waits till its near and pulls it in and eats there. Should I take his hide off and check under it to make sure there isn't any cricket remains or anything else? Or just leave it be?
Hello there. Just for asking, which Theraphosidae are you talking, first? But btw, i wouldn't worry and i wouldn't disturb the T in his/her home. Not to mention that they are very clean and take prey carcass out, in water dish etc

Fullyauto12

Arachnopeon
Sorry my bad I should of my L Parahybana. I've never seen him come all the way out in a while. But then again. I'm not there all the time. Ha

Fullyauto12

Arachnopeon
Right on. Thanks! I read a while ago to make sure they eat it all. But I've looked and can't see anything. And that's what I keep hearing that they are pretty resilient and hardy. Which is good cause it's my first one. :)

cold blood

Staff member
From time to time they will clean house and eject bolus's and old exos and such...no worries, what you are experiencing is a completely normal tarantula.

Stranger

Arachnopeon
The tarantula would push out any remains, they know what they're doing. Very rarely in this hobby will you have to interact and help your tarantula, once they are settled just let them be. Don't take them out unnecessarily, or pick up their hides, or essentially do anything to disturb them that's not necessary.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A good place for check prey remains is near, and inside sometimes, the water dish. That's where 80% of my T's leave crickets/dubia boluse.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
I made a hide for my adult stirmi, hot glued substrate, moss, and leaves to it. It has a removable top so I can lift it off, and remove any bolus or anything else I find. It doesn't bother her in the least

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They typically clean house themselves. Though I tend to remove cricket remains that I see out in the open, and esp if they are near water/moist areas. The same is true for T poop re: removal.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thanks for asking this question...its actually something that I was wondering regarding my B. smithi. She generally does the same thing; she prefers to eat in the peace and quiet of her hide. But I was a little worried that there might be something left over in there that could attract mold or mites, etc. But of course I didn't want to disturb her or mess with her hide (which she has heavily customized...apparently she didn't think much of my landscaping skills) if I didn't have to.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Most tarantulas are stressed by being out in the open. With fast species that can lead to them running out of the cage. Watch your spiders at night; they'll be out if they're hungry.