Rehousing tarantula, would like some pointers

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Well, the OP was talking about a white film on the water - that's always bacteria, I never heard of any film being minerals. I'm not a geologist, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect minerals to form crusts on surfaces - crystals in some form or other. Of course, I hereby assume the OPs interpretation that the 'white' still visible in the pic is the dried rest of it, to be wrong. Bacteria wipe off. The white stuff still left would be minerals, I agree.
Agree... we have very mineral rich water where I am and it looks more like precipitate/crystals/white grainy substance. If there is a white "film"or slimy looking substance, then that is probably not minerals, probably bacteria...
Also the mineral deposits are not easy to wipe off usually, if that helps. IME a bacterial film would be relatively easy to remove

aurusantula

Arachnopeon
Well, the OP was talking about a white film on the water - that's always bacteria, I never heard of any film being minerals. I'm not a geologist, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect minerals to form crusts on surfaces - crystals in some form or other. Of course, I hereby assume the OPs interpretation that the 'white' still visible in the pic is the dried rest of it, to be wrong. Bacteria wipe off. The white stuff still left would be minerals, I agree.
As a geology student with biology background, you're right. Films are almost always biological, and mineralization requires a grounding surface usually.

aurusantula

Arachnopeon
I heard containers work really well for keeping Ts in a physical location, but maybe that's a crazy idea.:rolleyes:
I did end up using a tupperware for a temporary house. She's still sitting on the lid in her refurbished enclosure, lol.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I did end up using a tupperware for a temporary house. She's still sitting on the lid in her refurbished enclosure, lol.
So you managed to rehouse the A. chalcodes, in future just be sure to keep the enclosure and the furnishings clean. Spot clean regularly - boluses, water dish, and that's it - a piece of cake, no need to worry over a little bit of mould, if you see any mould in the newly dressed enclosure, just pick it out - simple.;)[EDIT] Post some pictures of the newly setup enclosure - just so we can see what a great job you've done.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I heard containers work really well for keeping Ts in a physical location, but maybe that's a crazy idea.:rolleyes:
Why not a nice hotel room?

Agreed, spot clean and take out the water dish to clean it twice a month. Don't use soap or anything, just use your fingers and some hot water. My Ts are always getting substrate in their dish, and if they web onto it/into it the webbing can wick away water faster. Or that's what I've read and I did notice my GBB's water dish ran out of water faster when she decided to web onto it. Same with my A. ezendami spiderlings.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My Ts are always getting substrate in their dish, and if they web onto it/into it the webbing can wick away water faster.
The same wicking effect can occur with substrate on the rim of the dish.