Rehousing new slings

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
So I brought home 3 new babies a Nhandu chromatus, T. vagans , and another T. albo. They are in dram vials I bought 2 small 3x3x2.5 for the tinier slings both between 1/2-3/4 inches and a 4x4x3 for my curly hair that’s a little bigger then a quarter. I hear smaller is better for slings but they like to come up to the top. If I put enough substrate and some cork bark or some leaves in there can I rehouse them or leave them as is? I just want them to thrive they looked so skinny when I brought them home😢. Thx guys!! Oh and my curly hair sling is bigger than my G. pulchra sling that’s in an enclosure. That’s why I thought I should rehouse them but just barely bigger

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
They look to be getting large enough for deli cups . I used to have larger food storage containers then deli cups but they must had got tossed I should’ve kept them in my room not the garage. I need to find were to get more.

cold blood

Staff member
hear smaller is better for slings but they like to come up to the top.
I cant figure out what you mean by "they like to come to the top"....but smaller is generally better, especially for terrestrial NWs. The whole idea is to use a smaller enclosure that they can adopt as their burrow, eliminating the need or desire to burrow away, as when they are allowed to do this, they do so excessively and to the detriment of growth rate.
If I put enough substrate and some cork bark or some leaves in there can I rehouse them or leave them as is?
I would personaly move them to a condiment cup...IME its proven to be a better option.

I just want them to thrive they looked so skinny when I brought them home
Don't be worried about a sling being skinny, its perfectly normal. It simply means it molted recently, that's all.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
They look to be getting large enough for deli cups . I used to have larger food storage containers then deli cups but they must had got tossed I should’ve kept them in my room not the garage. I need to find were to get more.
Luckily I’m a grocery store manager I get them for free but Amazon has a ton of options!! I got better pics my Nhandu got scared and hid so not one of her but she’s bigger than the T. vagans k maybe I will rehouse them tomorrow or Wednesday. Thank you!!! lol they r just so tiny and fragile I would feel horrible if I hurt them more then I helped.

Attachments

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
I cant figure out what you mean by "they like to come to the top"....but smaller is generally better, especially for terrestrial NWs. The whole idea is to use a smaller enclosure that they can adopt as their burrow, eliminating the need or desire to burrow away, as when they are allowed to do this, they do so excessively and to the detriment of growth rate.

I would personaly move them to a condiment cup...IME its proven to be a better option.

Don't be worried about a sling being skinny, its perfectly normal. It simply means it molted recently, that's all.
Really? K yeah they come to the top of their substrate and only burrow to hide. K I just got done condiment cups!! lol and that makes sense I fed them and their abdomens stayed same size. But I think they are close to molting the 2 smaller ones both have a black patch on their bootys🥰 thanks so much for the advice!

I highlighted their black spots. Does this look close to premolt? My other sling was so obvious but these 2 I can’t tell.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
I fed them and their abdomens stayed same size.
it takes time and multiple feedings, especially if the prey is smaller.
But I think they are close to molting the 2 smaller ones both have a black patch on their bootys
The black spot is the urticating hair patch.....when they are actually ready to molt that black spot will take over the entire abdomen and it will eventually look all stretched out and shiny.

The first pic you just posted looks like its getting close, the others are not close....none look particularly skinny either.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
it takes time and multiple feedings, especially if the prey is smaller.

The black spot is the urticating hair patch.....when they are actually ready to molt that black spot will take over the entire abdomen and it will eventually look all stretched out and shiny.

The first pic you just posted looks like its getting close, the others are not close....none look particularly skinny either.
Ok thanks more than u know!! And omg that is too cute they have tiny urticating hairs!!! Do all slings abdomens get big before they molt too? My first sling was big!! So he was easy to notice.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
K perfect!! You are a lifesaver!! I can’t find much about slings online but I have just been reading all the threads I can find on here!! Appreciate your help💕
yeah unfortunately there’s a lot of misinformation out there that only experienced keepers can sort through. Here a great guide