Rehousing Methods

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
So, another thread on here and the response i gave made me realize that some people, myself included, may not know all of the methods there are to rehouse tarantulas.
I know of the cupping method (ive used this only so far in my short experience), the "prod-and-guide" method (not sure if theres a name for it), and the bag method (no idea how its done).
I figured a thread that lists all of or as many of the different methods as possible in one place would be useful. Along with how its done, obviously. I suppose i can start with the one i know.

Cupping method: Carefully catch the spider in a catch cup big enough to fit the spider. The cup should ideally have holes in the bottom so you can (gently) prod the spider off the sides/bottom of the cup into the new enclosure. Once it is in the catch cup... well. I already said this part. Gently coax the spider out of the catch cup into the new enclosure.

Hope this thread turns out well. If its been done already, let me know and provide a link so i can study up! Or maybe use this as an update to post any new information. People would probably trust a newer thread over one thats a year or more old.

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I use the "cup and cuss" method. Very similar to the cupping method described, with the only exception being once the spider is in its new enclosure sometimes they run up and out requiring several repeated attempts at cupping and releasing. As the spider runs out of its new enclosure, let out some cuss words, recapture, release again, spider runs out, cuss, and repeat until the spider calms down or you're quicker putting the lid on the new enclosure than the spider is at running out. Some tarantulas have a tendency to touch the new substrate run back into the capture cup then reach over the catch cup and run up your hand, or at least towards your hand. Speak some cuss words, attempt to direct the spider off of your hand back into the new enclosure and repeat until it stays put.

A variation I use for the giants (anything with a 7 inch legspan or above) is the two-handed cup and cuss. Just like above, but you have to use two hands to hold a clear plastic bowl about 8 inches in diameter to place over your giant spider. When I do this to my Theraphosa apophysis (male and female) and Theraphosa stirmi (male and female) which all have 8 inch legspans, they have a tendency to kick those urticating hairs all over the place instead of running. So, capture the giant spiders in a bowl with two hands, direct it over the lid of the bowl which you have to place inside the enclosure with it, transfer to the new enclosure, lift the bowl, and let out a bunch of cuss words as the large cloud of urticating hairs makes contact with your hands, arms, and neck. Once the task is complete go sit or lie down and cuss as your limbs become incredibly irritated.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
If the smaller enclosure fits into the lager enclosure. You can just put the smaller enclosure inside the larger one and just leave it for awhile. The T might come out on its own. I've done that a couple time. Its less stress for the T and myself. Its kind of lazy, but we can call it the "Sweet Mary Brown" method. "Ain't nobody got time for spiders running all over the place!"

keks

Arachnobaron
If the smaller enclosure fits into the lager enclosure. You can just put the smaller enclosure inside the larger one and just leave it for awhile. The T might come out on its own. I've done that a couple time. Its less stress for the T and myself. Its kind of lazy, but we can call it the "Sweet Mary Brown" method. "Ain't nobody got time for spiders running all over the place!"
This was the way I made it with my two P. irminia slings. They used the old enclosures as bedroom since months, I had not the heart to take the tubs away. Now they start to built webs in the new enclosures :D.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
I use the cup method half of the time. Otherwise I use a pair of long forceps/paintbrush to guide the T into its new enclosure. Cup/bag method is advisable for some Ts...anyone who has seen an adult pokie skittering across the room and up the walls would probably agree.

boina

Lady of the mites
For most terrestrials I use the prod-and-guide-and-talk (to the spider, talking is very important so the spider knows what you want it to do :troll:) method, only for the larger ones I may use the cup method.

For arboreals I have my own method. Most/all arboreals make web structures attached to the cork bark provided, so I take the cork bark including web including spider with tongs and transfer the whole thing into the new enclosure. Works astonishingly well most of the time, though you need to do it on the floor with a catch cup ready for the rare cases the spider does decide to run. It also has the disadvantage that you won't get pics of the T since it stays hidden in the web during the whole process.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Variation on the cup method for larger specimens.

Cut the top off a large coke bottle, add the lid to your collection of random lids that might get used as a water dish someday.

DSC00001.JPG

Make a hole in the bottom that you can fit a straw through (so you can coax the spider out again).

DSC00002.JPG

Coax the spider into the bottle and place the top of the bottle into the bottom section (as shown in the picture below) then store somewhere safe so it won't roll away when your spider inevitibly wanders around the inside.

DSC00003.JPG

When you're ready, remove the top section and poke a straw through the hole to coax the spider out into its new enclosure.

DSC00004.JPG

Mila

Arachnoknight
Boop the spiders booty until it goes into the cup then get clean underwear after you just poo'd yourself because it ran up your arm

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bag method for various smaller sizes.

OP- Google it up, it's not hard to find instructions. That's how I did it. In short you place a bag directly over the container, and get your T into the bag. Then transfer bag opening around the opening of other container.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Variation on the cup method for larger specimens.

Cut the top off a large coke bottle, add the lid to your collection of random lids that might get used as a water dish someday.

View attachment 249428

Make a hole in the bottom that you can fit a straw through (so you can coax the spider out again).

View attachment 249429

Coax the spider into the bottle and place the top of the bottle into the bottom section (as shown in the picture below) then store somewhere safe so it won't roll away when your spider inevitibly wanders around the inside.

View attachment 249430

When you're ready, remove the top section and poke a straw through the hole to coax the spider out into its new enclosure.

View attachment 249431
I love that you used pictures here. It helps for the folks out there who are visual learners. :)

OP, I think this is a great thread idea. It helps to know many different methods, well, because different spiders might call for different rehousing methods, right? (I'm not always going to use the same method for a chill terrestrial as I am a skittish arboreal, ya know?) :cat:

I use all of the techniques listed above, depending on the species of T.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
I prefer to cup when possible, but for juvies in smaller enclosures where i can't fit a catch cup i opt for the prod-n-pray method.

Put the old enclosure next to the new one (inside if possible) and put that in a sterilite tub, and put that all in the bathtub.

Get on your knees, prod pray repeat, and if the spider doesn't end up on the ceiling or worse up my arm i thank god and move on to the next one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tom Moran's rehouse method is by far the fastest, most effective I've ever seen.
Edit: perhaps not safest, but up there.;)

I just use a 16 or 32oz deli and a straw. Large arboreals , I like to place the cup over their burrow, and prod them through the substrate (usually the other end of the burrow) out into the cup.

Last edited:

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
My first rehousing was easy as my l.parahybana just stayed in its hide which was a small pill bottle. I picked it up with her in it and put the lid on. Put the hide into its new home let it crawl out and removed the old hide. However now I am faced with rehousing the other l.p I got with that one and she is burrowed so am following....