Rehousing & Hairs

bee67

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been thinking about rehousing my rosea lately, since he/she looks like she wants to burrow (found a clump of substrate thrown out of her hide this morning) but does not have deep enough substrate to do so.

Just wondering what actions y'all take to avoid getting irritated by the urticating hairs in the used substrate? Do you wear gloves, etc?

Also, is coco fiber a suitable substrate for burrowing? (Keep in mind it'll be bone dry)

How deep should I have the substrate be for a 4.5" or larger (never properly measured) g. rosea to burrow?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my rosea rearranges her enclosure all the time, which could be mistaken for attempting to burrow, i'd wait a bit and see if she get to the bottom of the enclosure, otherwise she might just be moving earth around to suit her

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
- Definitely wear gloves. Any kind of gloves should be fine. I prefer rubber cleaning gloves because work gloves can make things a bit messier than you'd want for an indoor project, and the cleaning gloves go way past your wrist.

- Coco fiber alone is what I use for my burrower. If you can have at least 6"-8" that would be good.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can mist the substrate before removing it. Rubber gloves will definitely help.

My roseas don't burrow, but they have hides. My substrate is only a couple of inches deep, if that.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
I like to use the standard coco fiber brick mixed with 1-2 cups of zoo med excavator burrowing soil:)worship:).That way they can burrow or you can make one for them.The burrow won't collapse as easily either.This is also a great way to prevent mites and mold as both do bad in soil with clay in it.:razz:

Last edited:

bee67

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I will be moving back to my summer home (ie my parents' house haha) in 3 or 4 weeks, so I will have until then to monitor my spider and decide whether or not to rehouse him.

He has been acting strangely- but really, what's strange for a rosie? Since I last fed him, he has been more active(He's technically unsexed, but the "he" pronoun is because of his name, Steve, before you suggest that he is mature. I've checked for hooks), and just today has rolled up the substrate in his hide like a carpet. I also saw him flick hairs for the first time while I checked on him this afternoon.

I guess he's just having mood swings {D

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if he goes walkies up the glass get a good ventral photo and we can try confirm it's a he :D

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I will be moving back to my summer home (ie my parents' house haha) in 3 or 4 weeks, so I will have until then to monitor my spider and decide whether or not to rehouse him.

He has been acting strangely- but really, what's strange for a rosie? Since I last fed him, he has been more active(He's technically unsexed, but the "he" pronoun is because of his name, Steve, before you suggest that he is mature. I've checked for hooks), and just today has rolled up the substrate in his hide like a carpet. I also saw him flick hairs for the first time while I checked on him this afternoon.

I guess he's just having mood swings {D

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Coco fiber it self can be very ichy so better be safe than sorry.

ogershok

Arachnopeon
All this is good advice and here's one more thing to try. My doctor gave me a prescription for Triamcinolone Acetonide cream USP, 0.1% and it has really been a godsend. I told him about my reaction to urticating hairs and he said to try this stuff. If I itch I wash the area in really hot soapy water, dry well, then apply the cream. So far it's the best thing I've found for stopping the itch.

Dave (occasional lurker)