Regalis?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What is the Largest Ornamental Tarantula that one can get?
I've seen 2 MONSTER P. rufilata that blew my mind! Easily pushing 8"! I'm not sure if this is the norm or if these were just exceptionally large specimens as most of my other girls are still young. I've had a few fairly large P. regalis as well and they're probably the species that gets the largest leg span wise in most cases.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
rufilata and ornata are the biggest in legspan, regalis is pretty large overall and I have heard subfusca can get quite big too!

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have seen regalis and ornates reach 10'' easy.
I haven't raised most of the Poecilotheria, but I used to raise a lot of Regalis and a big female would be 8 inches. I don't think they get bigger than that.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only own pederseni, fasciata, and regalis but from my reading, I would guess that rufilata is the biggest Poecilotheria.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We know that the blue whale officialy can reach 33m but most of those seen today are in the 20m range. 10" Pokies or 14" apophysises surely exist, but what are the odds that we see or (keep dreaming) own such animals? Specimens reaching such dimensions are a tiny portion of their population, they took years of almost perfect conditions (food, heat etc) and the luck of surviving the last molts (more risky as the animal grows larger) , predators (bigger=easier to find, and a monkey or else is still able to kill it) and diseases.

Captive environment clearly lacks one or many factors that inhibit growth since I've seen old and well nourished tarantulas still well under their species maximum size.

This doesn't imply that it's impossible to have those giants in the hobby, but me wanna see!!!:D