Redone H.gigas water enclosure (video tutorial)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well I had to redo my H.Gigas water enclosure, my female Gigas had bitten thru the liner in 2 spots and the pond leaked into the enclosure and had to be redone. I think it turned out great!!!

[youtube]88tYH36LZok[/youtube]

[youtube]WA4xAapX2-U[/youtube]

[youtube]ax7TEBC7KBo[/youtube]

[youtube]NB2BaGz85xs[/youtube]

[youtube]gdHjp5E5kbc[/youtube]

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Much better job Rob and it actualy looks way better than the last imo. The gravel on the pool bottom is an excellent addition too. Fair play man.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Much better job Rob and it actualy looks way better than the last imo. The gravel on the pool bottom is an excellent addition too. Fair play man.
Thank-you, I am realy happy with it....the water is much clearer and you can see the T swim much better.....rob

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
another gr8 job. =) i love ur enclosures, as always :D
And i'm still w8ing for a hunting fish vid :( Did u already see anything ? Did she eat a fish on the other enclosure ?

//Tiago

mcliff1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks great rob! I agree - the white pond looks even better than the darker black one. Diddo on the fish hunting question! Did you catch her "catching" any fish yet?

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looks great, the plastic showing doesnt even look that bad because the rest of the enclosure makes up for it, way to go on a sweet ass enclosure.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks great rob! I agree - the white pond looks even better than the darker black one. Diddo on the fish hunting question! Did you catch her "catching" any fish yet?
I've caught her fishing but not on video yet! I'm still trying...it's awesome to see. She lightly taps the top of the water and when the fish comes to see what it is, she nails it. Very cool! She jumped off the stump by the pond last night into the water...and again, I didn't have the camera ready. :mad:

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just watching some of your videos last night. :]
They were cool; A thumbs up for you!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just a little note on this: I wouldn't use goldfish...I'm going to switch to use only captive bred minnows. I just worry about disease from the goldfish...

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm really glad you posted this. I decided after your first set of videos that I'm definitely getting one of these guys next, but I haven't got around to it... I didn't even think about her biting through the liner though, so I think you just saved me and whoever else was gonna try this a lot of headache. Awesome set up man.

-Nick

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm really glad you posted this. I decided after your first set of videos that I'm definitely getting one of these guys next, but I haven't got around to it... I didn't even think about her biting through the liner though, so I think you just saved me and whoever else was gonna try this a lot of headache. Awesome set up man.

-Nick
I think they like to dig in the water???

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
as u said they can hold good their breath right? Would make sense to "burrow" under the water to have like a hunting spot ??????

//Tiago

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
as u said they can hold good their breath right? Would make sense to "burrow" under the water to have like a hunting spot ??????

//Tiago
That's a good point...maybe that's what she was trying to do...from my research, they can hold stay under water for 24 hours as long as at least one leg is out of the water - their hairs can carry oxygen down to them...

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just a little note on this: I wouldn't use goldfish...I'm going to switch to use only captive bred minnows. I just worry about disease from the goldfish...
Don't know if your an aquarium guy or not Rob but goldfish contain thiaminase aswell, which is an enzyme that breaks down thiamine. I don't know if T's would be affected by it or not but captive bred minnows would likely contain the thiaminase aswell. Goldfish and "rosie reds" or the similar minnows are in the same family. Your best bet would be to throw guppies in the pond. They're basically like the rabbits of the fish world and reproduce in anything. Any livebearing fish is basically your best bet though like guppies, platies or mollies.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't know if your an aquarium guy or not Rob but goldfish contain thiaminase aswell, which is an enzyme that breaks down thiamine. I don't know if T's would be affected by it or not but captive bred minnows would likely contain the thiaminase aswell. Goldfish and "rosie reds" or the similar minnows are in the same family. Your best bet would be to throw guppies in the pond. They're basically like the rabbits of the fish world and reproduce in anything. Any livebearing fish is basically your best bet though like guppies, platies or mollies.
Grea info, thanks!!!