Red Tail Boa reproduction question!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Funny, everything I ask lately is about the birds and the bees!:rolleyes:

Long story short, my red tails mated, the female gave birth, the babies didn't make it due to massive antibiotic injections I was giving her. She's recovered, put on a little weight and all is well now. Everyone told me that she should do great next year as they only complete this whole cycle once a year.

Well, they are at it again!:eek: The male is a manly man, and they've been hooked up continuously for a week now.

Is this just wanton sex, or am I going to go through the whole pregnancy anxiety again? And, more importantly, why? Is it the weather? Global warming? Atmospheric pressure? Horny snakes? What????:confused:

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't suggest allowing a female to mate more than once a year, and I have read of several breeders that don't put a pair together any more often than once every other year. It's very demanding on the female, and breeding her too often can lead to a shortened lifespan.

As for the male, he'll breed whenever possible. Boas in captivity aren't as picky about atmospheric conditions as are egg laying species, so I'm not surprised that he grasps the opertunity. It sounds like you keep them in the same enclosure year round. I would suggest keeping them seperated except for when you want to breed them and produce a clutch from the female. Good Luck with your boas.:)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea i would suggest the same thing, i think its possible but rough on her.

Man what a demanding male you have lol.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hah! He is a typicalmale then!!:cool:

Well, as nice as it would be, they will be living together until late 2006-early 2007, when we move. They were rescues, and the cage is about 5'x5'x5', so I don't have room for another! After the move, I'm planning on a full room for the creatures, so they will each have an enclosure about the size of a shower stall.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you mean length of one i hope, not height, that would be a waste for a boa lol.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Nope, it's 5 feet square. And not wasteful at all, as red tails boas are semi-arboreal.;)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as adults redtail boas are not arboreal. At least all the breeders i talked to said this.

Most said a tank of 5' - 6' in length, 3-4' deep and 2' tall is more than enough for a 6-7' boa.

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Red tail boas are most certainly semi-arboreal, and provided that MizM has that vertical space filled with climbing material, that cage is probably big enough for two adults. Even if there wasn't much volume, that's still 25 feet of floor space. It could be argued, though, that a rectangular enclosure is superior to a square one in that there's more of a straight-away for the animal to really stetch out. As for breeders, all I've known, commercial or hobbyist, are always pressed for space and opt for utilitarian type enclosures. That is to say, rack systems, which offer plenty of length and width while giving up as little height as possible. If MizM is pressed for space, the 5' sq. could certainly be a waste, but not if they're for viewing pleasure and she has no other enclosures or equipment that merits the given space. Bottom line, if theres climbing material the boas will use it.

Lastly, I agree that they shouldn't be bred twice in one year. Although, in my experience, male boas cannot be passed around to more than one female like some pythons and colubrids. There's a possibility that he's passed his peak this season.

Best,
-Matt

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where did you hear the are semi-arboreal. Both breeders and people i asked on Redtailboas say young boas are semi-arboreal and adults are not. Considering how heavy bodied adult boas are that makes completel sense too.

In fact my boa is a year old or so right now, about 3' (roughly). He has a branch to climb on and has never once used it, at all.

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
where did you hear the are semi-arboreal.
I've seen it. That said, seeing as they're semi-arboreal, if they have a cozy hide on the ground, they may simply find that more suitable than a spot on a branch. Also, is your branch stable? Is it too thin? Is there a trough-like area large enough for it coil up? Is it too close or too far to/from your heat source? Also, keep in mind your snake is nocturnal and sensitive to your presence. As for hearing it, I believe there's a section in Vosjoli's The Boa Constrictor Manual that gives attention to perches and branches multiple times.
Considering how heavy bodied adult boas are that makes completel sense too.
We have a pair of P. m. bivittatus in a vivarium style enclosure at my work and they hang on large branches suspended from the ceiling of the enclosure frequently. As you probably know, Burmese pythons have several times the mass of a BCI.

Best,
-Matt

Phyre102887

Arachnopeon
If space is an issue, why dont you get 2 boaphile cages? they stack and are very light. also insted of the heat lights most come with heating pads. I keep my brazilian rainbow boas in them and it is much easier to keep the humidity up. Screen top cages I would have to spray everyday now I just have to keep their water dish above the heating pad. Depending on how big the are you could pick up a decent cage for about $225 ($225 with a heating pad) each. If you dont know what to get, call up jeff and ask. heres a link below.
Also if your snake is gravid, you should make sure the temps are right or the babies might not make it. Ive heard from some people of snakes being born deformed because temperatures werent right. good luck!

http://www.boaphileplastics.com/

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I don't know about anyone else's red tails, but mine are definitely semi-arboreal!

After rescuing the female with that horrid cage, we put tarps around it to keep the humidity in and installed trees. Branches, shelves, climbing branches, etc. Mine spend more time up than they do down. My approach to pet keeping is to give them the opportunity to do something they would do in the wild. If they enjoy it, great, if not, we'll adapt. We often leave pre-killed prey in the "treetops" to give them the feeling they are actually hunting, since we don't feed live prey. We also gave them large boulders to climb in, on and around, they LOVE these during that itchy pre-molt period! They also have a bathtub for that relaxing soak.

The only reason I haven't purchased new housing is that we just put our house on the market, and I don't want to cart any more enclosures than I already have! Between the Ts, scorpions, snakes and felines, I have one whole vehicle that will be driving from CA to TX full of critters! Ah, if only THEY could do the driving!!

As far as the breeding goes, they seem happy. I will make sure she gets plenty of humidity, heat and food to make sure she can get through another pregnancy if it should occur. If not, all the better for her health.

Little note: When I have to separate them, they BOTH wander constantly. It appears that they actually miss each other.:eek: I know, here I go anthromorphosizing again!!!

Phyre102887

Arachnopeon
After awhile of being separated they'll probably forget about each other 'til next breeding season lol. Ive heard some breeders only breed their females every other year, that way the female gets a year off to relax, and is probably better for her health. Imagine having to have a kid every year! You'd be exausted, maybe not feel to good and maybe a little bit cranky (but I dont know if this happens with snakes, just people lol). But of course many breeders breed snakes every year and they seem fine, I guess its just personal choice. Im just curious if you feed both snakes in the same cage at the same time? not bashing or anything, but if you do just be a bit careful. although redtails arent canniblistic, accidents can happen, even if one doesnt or cant eat the other it could attack the same prey as the other or the other snake by mistake, so just keep a close eye.just assuming because you said you put the prey on the logs and rocks of the cage. Sorry if I am mistaken :eek: . Give us an update when she gives birth! Good luck

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Midnightrdr456 said:
where did you hear the are semi-arboreal. Both breeders and people i asked on Redtailboas say young boas are semi-arboreal and adults are not. Considering how heavy bodied adult boas are that makes completel sense too.

In fact my boa is a year old or so right now, about 3' (roughly). He has a branch to climb on and has never once used it, at all.

My Vet told me that Boa's can't cough so the only way they can drain fluid from their lung is to hang it's head and front part of it's body from a branch.
My boa's was having respatory problems. Sure enough I put the branch in and she hung from it. They will also stay in my trees all day if I let them. :)

MrT

BTW: My smallest Boa is 5' and my largest is 9'

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I been to Terri's and have seen the 2 redtail boa's:D and they are beautiful and very healthy, their cage is plenty big for the two, they look happy in their home.
Congrats and Good luck,
hugs
Penney

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Phyre102887 said:
Im just curious if you feed both snakes in the same cage at the same time?
Never. Number 1 rule. With ALL creatures. They are always separated to feed, but, hmmmm, they don't seem to miss each other at all during feeding time!;)