Red Runner Feeders' Deli-cup Has Mold

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Should I toss those feeders, as they are contaminated, and could hurt my spiderlings? Thanks and sorry for NOOB question.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How about a pic of the deli cup? Red Runners need good ventilation, some egg carton to climb on, and access to water (gel crystals work best) they do best in a dry enclosure. If you rehouse them they should be ok to feed as they will clean/groom themselves.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
How about a pic of the deli cup? Red Runners need good ventilation, some egg carton to climb on, and access to water (gel crystals work best) they do best in a dry enclosure. If you rehouse them they should be ok to feed as they will clean/groom themselves.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I am using crystals, dubia chow, but also feeding them fruit. My tiny dubias eat up their fruit, but not the red runners. I'm at work, LOL or I would upload a quick snapshot. But I will rehouse them when I get home.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Probably the fruit is the culprit for mold and any dubia chow that sucks up the moisture in the air form the fruit. Gel crystals are enough for hydration. If you have a much bigger enclosure like a lg KK then the fruit wont mold as easily.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No they dont climb smooth surfaces. Some old tubs/plastic that is scratched up or some textured new tubs will allow them to climb though.
Wow wish ida got some of those , just rob c only had dubia when I got mine.
I’d almost need a lot of big lizards to eat all these roaches. Or like 200 Ts

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Should I toss those feeders
No just rehouse to a clean enclosure, you don't need to bother feeding them fruit (it's an unnecessary complication IMO, do it as a treat now and again if you really want but they don't need it to survive/breed), my colony does just fine with roach chow (chick feed & fish food mix) and water crystals.

Same with mites, my mealworm colony ended up absolutely riddled with mites, I took care of the mite problem and then just rehoused the mealworms to a new enclosure, screw throwing feeders over minor issues.

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Awesome, thanks for the info. I am using crystals, dubia chow, but also feeding them fruit. My tiny dubias eat up their fruit, but not the red runners. I'm at work, LOL or I would upload a quick snapshot. But I will rehouse them when I get home.
I can't believe I am caring for roaches. IDK how this obsession started, but I'm in deep....
No just rehouse to a clean enclosure, you don't need to bother feeding them fruit (it's an unnecessary complication IMO, do it as a treat now and again if you really want but they don't need it to survive/breed), my colony does just fine with roach chow (chick feed & fish food mix) and water crystals.

Same with mites, my mealworm colony ended up absolutely riddled with mites, I took care of the mite problem and then just rehoused the mealworms to a new enclosure, screw throwing feeders over minor issues.
Thanks for the info. I rehoused them last night and have plenty of other feeders until they "clean up".

NatureJay

Arachnopeon
Where do these mites come from and how can you prevent them/get rid of them?

I keep getting infested with these mites. Ive had to rehouse twice already and ive only just begun to raise some superworms. My 3 beetles have died and down to 3 superworms im gonna let change to beetles. Im quite frustrated....

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Where do these mites come from
They're literally everywhere.

and how can you prevent them/get rid of them?
Keeping things clean and dry prevents them from getting established, I don't feed fruit/veggies which also helps, mealworms/supers have such low moisture requirements that it's unnecessary.

When my mealworm colony was infested I simply took the lid off of the tub I kept them in, smeared petroleum jelly around the rim and left it to air out for a few days, all the mites either dehydrated to death or got stuck in the jelly barrier trying to escape. I then sieved out all the mealworms, cleaned the tub and then put them back in with fresh bran.

I find them in my roach bin now and again but never in sufficient enough numbers to bother me.

My 3 beetles have died and down to 3 superworms im gonna let change to beetles. Im quite frustrated....
The mites won't have killed them, they're an unsightly annoyance at worst.

tewebag

Arachnoknight
I can't believe I am caring for roaches. IDK how this obsession started, but I'm in deep....
Wait until you have containers with over 1000 of them along with other types of feeders you are actively caring for. I probably have over ten thousand "pets" now though. :angelic: