Red Knee Question

CAtarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
Just got my first T a week ago, a 2” Red Knee. It explored its enclosure and then went in the hide and hasn’t come out. I know that at this stage they tend to hide a lot.

She made a dirt/web wall over the entrance of the enclosure so she’s totally isolated. Is that normal? She hasn’t eaten since the pet store two weeks ago. How long might she hide before coming out for food & water?

Thanks!
Jon

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would show photos of the tarantula and enclosure. What you are describing is very normal to me. As long as the tarantula's abdomen is plump it does not need food. They can go months without food. Finally, use the scientific name. Common names are too confusing. I believe the latin name for your tarantula is B. hamorii.

CAtarantulaGuy

Arachnopeon
I would show photos of the tarantula and enclosure. What you are describing is very normal to me. As long as the tarantula's abdomen is plump it does not need food. They can go months without food. Finally, use the scientific name. Common names are too confusing. I believe the latin name for your tarantula is B. hamorii.
Here’s a picture of her handi work over the door of her hide.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Sounds like pre molt behavior, that or it just wants some privacy. Either way, its nothing to worry about, just leave it be.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I agree, nothing to worry about. Keep the water dish full and it'll come out when it wants to or when it's hungry.

But another thing that could be worrisome... how much height is there in your enclosure? Could you post a pic of the whole enclosure? If the walls are higher than about 1,5x DLS of your spider it could result in a fatal fall.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
She made a dirt/web wall over the entrance of the enclosure so she’s totally isolated. Is that normal? She hasn’t eaten since the pet store two weeks ago. How long might she hide before coming out for food & water?
Totally normal. That's tarantula for "Do not disturb!" just top up the water dish as needed and be patient, tarantulas can survive a long time without food/water.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
But another thing that could be worrisome... how much height is there in your enclosure? Could you post a pic of the whole enclosure? If the walls are higher than about 1,5x DLS of your spider it could result in a fatal fall.
This is a good point, looks like there may be a fall risk in there. Hard to tell from just one picture though.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Seems to me you have your T in a glass fish tank. If so, rehouse into something that prevent death/fall injury.
Or just add enough substrate so the height is not too much between sub and lid - No more than 1.5x the leg span of the spider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Or just add enough substrate so the height is not too much between sub and lid - No more than 1.5x the leg span of the spider.
True enough, I’m also assuming the container is too large, but again only an assumption. Many people dump their Ts into 10 gal, not 2.5a or 5s.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
A ten gallon is okay as long as there is adequate substrate height to prevent falling. But the Spider may or may not use all of the space, don't be disappointed if it does not.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have small T in a larger setup, make sure it the container is not barren like a prison cell. They like cover... also larger setups often end up with more hidden crickets.