Red Ear Sliders

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well here we go. The latest in stupid legislation is that my state has banned the keeping, selling, etc. of Red Ear Sliders. Which I find hilarious given that they are native to the country.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Well here we go. The latest in stupid legislation is that my state has banned the keeping, selling, etc. of Red Ear Sliders. Which I find hilarious given that they are native to the country.
They're invasive in many parts of the US. Which state do you live in, if you don't mind my asking?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My guess is that it's to deter people from collecting them from the wild? So like most politicians they "over-fix" a problem without even the slightest interest to understand what's actually going on.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
They are being 'set free' by people who don't want them here in our waterways. Apparently they can live through winter if it not gets too cold. My husband likes to fish for carp and sees them now and then. These guys get sold when they are little and get stuffed into a mini-pool aquarium with a palm tree and some flakes for food until they don't fit the pool anymore. The equivalent of Craigslist here, Marktplaats, is full of them. :(

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I understand they're invasive, but if they banned every species that ever gets released into the wild, then every pet species would be banned, including dogs and cats.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I understand they're invasive, but if they banned every species that ever gets released into the wild, then every pet species would be banned, including dogs and cats.
If those dogs and cats would be a threat to local fauna... I don't think that would be a bad thing. Australia is having a really hard time with feral cats, rabbits running rampage on and endangering its wildlife.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Like @SonsofArachne said, it's really unfair and selective to only focus on something like that when dogs and cats (the beloved pets of many of these haters) cause more damage than anything else.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Like @SonsofArachne said, it's really unfair and selective to only focus on something like that when dogs and cats (the beloved pets of many of these haters) cause more damage than anything else.
Unfortunately, there are not as many people that keep these animals as there are cat/dog people, so these have a less big 'lobby'...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Unfortunately, there are not as many people that keep these animals as there are cat/dog people, so these have a less big 'lobby'...
Oh I know. And it's just chock full of unfairness. Say you hate dogs and you get crucified. Say you hate lizards and you get an award.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
The issue here is that red eared sliders are not only invasive, but they outcompete native turtles species many of which are endangered.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The issue here is that red eared sliders are not only invasive, but they outcompete native turtles species many of which are endangered.
Yes I know but since people will just go to other states and buy them it isnt really helping.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Yes I know but since people will just go to other states and buy them it isnt really helping.
Red eared sliders are unfortunately what many have considered to be a “disposable” pet. They are inexpensive, often bought on impulse and convenient to “release into the wild” when their owner tires of them. They are so readily available and there lies part of the problem. Dumping an animal into the wild is obviously inherently wrong ( I own one myself going on 15years). However the data does support the fact that they are invasive and this is a direct result of the pet trade. In a recent study of Trachemys scripta elegans conducted in Colorado (where the species is not native) scientists found invasive populations almost exclusively in urban and suburban area ponds indicating that their introduction was a direct result of the pet trade. (Lauren Livo et al Herpetological Review 48(4), 734-738 20017). However, with that said I can’t imagine anyone expending the effort driving out of state for a red eared slider. And, if someone did, between the time spent, gas and tolls ( I use Colorado as an example since it’s a large state), they would be less inclined to dump it in a local pond anyway.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I think things like microchips and licensing would better alternatives than outright bans. But that would take effort and thought on the lawmakers part - easier just to ban. Then they can get onto the important things like accepting bribes...I mean gifts :rolleyes: