Really dumb question

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I have a totally dumb question but feel compelled to ask anyway..... When checking on some of my T's I realized that a few of them had dead crickets in there enclosures - well, apparantely the dead crix had been there a while because when I went to remove the dead crix, well, it STANK!!! My dumb question is, will the enclosures return to their normal, non existent, smell eventually or do I need to change substrate to get the 'no smell' back? These are terrestrial, dry enclosures and I removed all cricket parts.......

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's not a dumb question lol

I'm curious though, what kind of ventilation have you got right now?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
You would either have to really dry up the substrate or replace it completely.

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's not a dumb question lol

I'm curious though, what kind of ventilation have you got right now?
Right now, I am using Kritter Keepers (small size) and a few of my T's are in the clear shoeboxes from The Container Store that I made 3 2" holes with screens in. There were about 4 containers that had dead crix in....I'm gonna have to look a lot harder after feeding time....:D

AllieCat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You would either have to really dry up the substrate or replace it completely.
thanks! It is really dry now except around a few water dishes (got overflowed with feedings).....Hopefully in a day or two it will smell better.....Can T's smell? I certainly hope not!!!

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After you remove the dead crix the smell should dissipate fairly quickly. There may be some you have missed, though.

If it's still rank in a week or so, consider changing out the substrate, I guess.

A nice dry tarantula enclosure typically has no smell at all. I have 16 tarantulas in my living room and you can't tell from the sniff even if you get real close.

Roach enclosures are a different matter...

arachi american

Arachnopeon
really?

t's can't smell? :?

i guess you can say they don't have noses or tongues, but they most certainly smell and taste.