Realistic price?

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
I have a recently sexed sub adult male B.boehmei that I have had since he was a half inch sling in 2015. He is about 3" DLS or so if I had to guess, though it is hard to really get a good measurement on him because as most of them seem to be, he loves to kick hairs. I would like to put him up for sale but am unsure what is a realistic price for him. I know he should have a few years left in him before he becomes a mature male, so to me that is a good thing. Unfortunately he had an accident after his last molt a few months ago and lost one of his legs, however he still eats like a champ and is otherwise perfectly fine. I would appreciate any advice on what to ask for him (or what I could expect his value to be in a trade), and I apologize if this is not in the right forum!

Darktiger432

Arachnopeon
I got my male 1 1/2 and got him for 80 ofcourse he was unsexed at the time. He is now 4 inches. But I would say max 150 the minimum 100. These are just my thoughts though.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I see slings for $35-$43 online. So, for a 3-inch male juvenile, I would guess $75-$100.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree, I don't think you could go higher than 100$. Also, don't let ANYONE talk you down on price because he's missing a leg. They do grow back!

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, I was asking $70 for him and no interest, and the one person who was interested told me I'd priced him way too high (I couldn't find recent males for sale, so I used older adverts for reference) so I wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
I guess it all depends on how you feel about having male T's, are you just wanting to sell him because he's male and you want females, or do you want to appeal to someone who may want a mature male in a few years?

Personally, I dont want a lot of males, when the time comes and i can sex many of the multiples per species I currently have, I may keep one, but the rest I'll just simply give away. Mind you some of the brachys I have cost me 100 dollars a piece for unsexed slings. Doesn't matter because i just dont want them.

If you just want a few dollars out of respect for raising it and having to spend money to buy it initially, I'm thinking $40.00 is the max to ask. I wouldnt pay 40 for it, but I'd think you'd have more interest with a lower price than those suggested already.

I always think that if I have a male, I can give it away to a friend or someone new to tarantulas. Or, if you have a female to sell, you could sweeten the pot a bit by including a male and picking up a few extra dollars that way.

Just my 2 cents.

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
I guess it all depends on how you feel about having male T's, are you just wanting to sell him because he's male and you want females, or do you want to appeal to someone who may want a mature male in a few years?

Personally, I dont want a lot of males, when the time comes and i can sex many of the multiples per species I currently have, I may keep one, but the rest I'll just simply give away. Mind you some of the brachys I have cost me 100 dollars a piece for unsexed slings. Doesn't matter because i just dont want them.

If you just want a few dollars out of respect for raising it and having to spend money to buy it initially, I'm thinking $40.00 is the max to ask. I wouldnt pay 40 for it, but I'd think you'd have more interest with a lower price than those suggested already.

I always think that if I have a male, I can give it away to a friend or someone new to tarantulas. Or, if you have a female to sell, you could sweeten the pot a bit by including a male and picking up a few extra dollars that way.

Just my 2 cents.
You have a good point about pricing differences.

I have a very small collection (9 total) and my reason for putting him up is two part - I'd most like him to ideally go somewhere he can mature and then be used, but also because my other half is super reactive to urticating hairs and he kicks frequently. I have started to develop an issue with the hairs as well, this past year.

I feel that time spent raising him and having paid $35 as a sling, $70 is a reasonable price for someone who knows what they're getting - a pet for a few more years and once he matures, the opportunity to make their money back and then a little more possibly, if that makes sense? I have no problem with males since I'm not looking to breed anytime in the near future, but I'd also hate to see a male "wasted" too.

cold blood

Staff member
I sell males for about what their worth is as an MM....for this t that would be about 56-60 bucks.

Darktiger432

Arachnopeon
How I look at it, is if this person is planning to breed him. it's worth the investment if they are going to make money off his baby and if they are desperate they will pay it. I paid 70 for my mm lp that might be high idk. However, As a pet I would pay less cuase I know they won't live as long.

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
After reading all this, I think I may drop him to $50 or a trade for a sling and call it a day. You folks have been super helpful and I really appreciate the feedback!

cold blood

Staff member
I paid 70 for my mm lp that might be high
I have some MMs for you to buy. You are gonna become my go to for my MMs in the future.:p

People can't give away LP MMs....you can get them free, $20 would be considered top dollar.

After reading all this, I think I may drop him to $50 or a trade for a sling and call it a day. You folks have been super helpful and I really appreciate the feedback!
In trade for slings they will fetch a better deal...you should be able to get several slings. This is a fantastic way for people too add to their collection at no cost...trades are a guaranteed return.

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
In trade for slings they will fetch a better deal...you should be able to get several slings. This is a fantastic way for people too add to their collection at no cost...trades are a guaranteed return.
I'd love that the most, the problem is the only 2 species I really want to add to my collection are apparently not that easy to find. I've only seen them for sale a time or two. They were $35 / .5" sling so not expensive but a pain in the buns to find!

cold blood

Staff member
I'd love that the most, the problem is the only 2 species I really want to add to my collection are apparently not that easy to find. I've only seen them for sale a time or two. They were $35 / .5" sling so not expensive but a pain in the buns to find!
well when you trade a MM, you get what the breeder has available...finding something uncommon from a breeder who also wants the MM you have wouldnt be very likely....its kind of you get what they have extra of.

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
Oh! See, I have no idea how this works! LoL thank you, that's really helpful. I'm out of my depth here! :rofl:

YellowBrickRoad

☆Klaasified☆
Arachnosupporter +
Which T's were you looking for? Just curious. And while I'm here, what are you currently keeping?

Have you thought about calling Regal Reptiles to see if they still have a T vendor, or Jabberwock in Winchesta, or waiting for a show in New Hampsha? Perhaps you can move him, sell, or trade without having to leave the area'r?

CasualCoffee

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure Regal is open anymore, I think they closed down a while ago?

Honestly it never occurred to me to check with a bigger shop to see if they would help/trade/consign him for me!

I'm looking for H villosella and/or H gabonensis to add to my little collection, then I'm done for a while. I'd have been also open to a G pulchra sling with trade + cash because I absolutely love that species.

Currently I have 3 Pumpkin Patch "Lg" (about 1" DLS), 2 x M balfouri (about 2.5" ish), 1 x P irminia (roughly 3"), 1 x A seemanni (unsexed, about 4"-4.5", just molted recently and destroyed it!) and 1 x G pulchra (about 2.5"). And of course the boehmei! The pulchra never even thinks about kicking so hairs are thankfully not really an issue with that little one.