Real Animal Skulls in inclosures

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a nice little collection of animal skulls. Would I be able to use them in my T enclosures?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I've wondered that myself . I did have a skull in a scorpion enclosure , but that was being kept bone dry (no pun intended) for a desert species . I don't know how bones would react in a humid tank . I don't think that they would mold , but I didn't want to take a chance .

CFleming

Arachnopeon
As long as they are sterlized properly I dont really see why not. Sounds pretty cool. Be sure to post some pics.

GoDsiZeSnakEyes

Arachnopeon
I would say it depends on how they were cleaned. If it's a boiled/simmered skull and cleaned well it should be no problem. If it was found with a natural decayed cleaning and sun bleached I would recomend bringing it to a boil in a pot for a few mins to kill microbes.

Be careful with taxidermy cleanings since somtimes they use chemicals. If they use flesh eating beatles I would also do a quick boil even though beatles look like they clean some bones spottless.

I've been cleaning game animal bones/skulls for years now to use in art and have used some busted up ones for spiders. Most of my T's are sling/juvies atm but I have a collection of skull pieces I'm going to set up in the permanent adult enclosures.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a cat skull in my p cancerides enclosure and she's placed all her burrowing left overs ontop of it. I still haven't had any problems with it at all, also keeping in mind that it's been soaked in bleach (few years ago so there are no worries of poisoning) and nuked in the microwave.

Mez

Arachnoknight
In a dry arid setup yeah, but not in with something that needs humidity...unless you don't care about the skulls.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i do a little taxidermy and skull cleaning...and i have a coyote skull in with my golden gecko, and im getting ready to do a coyote skull for a girl that wants one in a gecko setup....as long as you get every peice of meat out, and epoxy all the teeth in, and smooth any sharp edges with a dremel or what you have, then yeah real skulls look great in any enclosure

HotPocket

Arachnopeon
I have wanted to do something like this for a while now. But not just with a skull I am thinking a full theme with real bones like the elephant grave yard from The Lion King!

jt39565

Arachnoknight
That sounds interesting. I would like to see some pics posted of these setups.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This thread is useless without pictures people!