Ready for a More Agressive T?

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much for all the advice! I actually do want to go into this area of study, but I know I have a very long way to go before being considered an "expert." My tarantulas that I have are kept in my room, which is quiet, dark (old house so no installed lights), and relatively comfortable temparture/humidity wise. I do understand your concerns about handling. Since getting my Avic I've only handled her about a handful of times. When I am handling her, I understand not to poke/prod her, speak too loudly, etc.. At this point I try to read their body language as best as I can, and believe me, she won't even let me take her out of her cage if she doesn't want to and I don't force her. What I meant by "not handling," and I also understand your concern by that statement, is just simply taking care of it and not trying to disturb it. I'm not itching to hold a more "expert level" tarantula is what I meant, and at the very least I believe I'd be able to keep up with its housing requirements, keep it hydrated, and and feed it (even if I have to wear gloves). If I had a T. Blondi for example, I know better than to just lie my hand down and nudge it to crawl onto it. Not because of what I've heard but because of many factors. I don't know what it would do, I or the t could get hurt, etc.. I'm not afraid of the challenge of taking care of a more "expert level" tarantula, but I do as much research as I can every day to just learn about species, behaviors, etc.. I'm new to the hobby, very new, but I have a passion for it like I see you definitely have. I don't mind a moody tarantula with an attitude as long as I know I can feed it and take care of it. As for the "DKS," I understand what you're saying and I know that you have much more knowledge of it at a deeper level. Erratic leg movement, very sensitive to any vibration, light, and he eventually died with no signs of dehydration or external damage, and I know I hadn't ever injured him. As for your suggestions, thank you I will definitely look into them. Again, thanks so much for the very detailed advice.
All I needed was a bit of clarification. :) The way you had stated a lot of things before mislead me a bit, and more than likely would have mislead anyone else relatively new in the hobby if no substantial advice was given following your original post. So really, I wasn't issuing what I said to you specifically, but to a body of new members within the hobby... Also, I may have come across a bit strong due to the fact that I'm lacking about a day's worth of sleep at this point, so forgive me for that as well. I think you, and probably a large number of new entries into this hobby, are quite capable of caring for fragile or extremely speedy/defensive specimens. Everybody has to start somewhere, it's just I wanted to really set a proper caution for you to yield to and suggest that you question everything with multiple people before making some bigger decisions as far as additions or care requirements are concerned. I've witnessed enough subtle, care related things add up to a larger, problematic situation in a multitude of ways even in my year of immersing myself within this hobby not to feel inclined to administer a post like the one that I did.

With that in mind, I second Jacqueline's suggestion that Michael's book is probably more on par with what you should be reading at this point in time.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
I got my first OBT the other day, she's about 4-5", the guy I got it from showed me how to put her in a new enclosure, showed me how fast and mean she was, and was generally and helpful as he could have been. I don't think anything he could have said or showed me would have prepared me for when she hit the new substrate and immediately bounded out of her new enclosure (12" tall with only about 3" of substrate!), around the dining room, and to the underside of the kitchen table. Took me 30 minutes to get her back in, after evacuating my son and the cats into a far back room. She was a real sweetheart throughout and never made a single move to bite me or my paintbrush, I spent most of the time trying not to let her fall to the floor, but I was crapping my pants the whole time.

Just saying to be a little more cautious than you think you should be, some of these experienced guys make things look easy that really aren't.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I spent most of the time trying not to let her fall to the floor, but I was crapping my pants the whole time.

Just saying to be a little more cautious than you think you should be, some of these experienced guys make things look easy that really aren't.
At least you knew in advance, a lot of people just buy w/out a 2nd thought or don't even bother to inquire.

In your case, search forum for Bag Method . It may help you, works for me!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bag method works like a charm. Its really great to hear though that you're giving this a lot of thought.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
My such rose colored glasses we have of that Cobalt Blue aka Demon Blue Hell Spawn :D, your Cobalt Blue ran up your fiancée's arm and bit him in the face- that's not defensive, that's offensive. Defensive would be running out the container or up his arm and then off hahahah
What can I say, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt, she didn't mean it:laugh: !!! I figure she was poked with a stick, her home destroyed at the pet store, jammed into a cup, rode over an hour in the cup then messed with some more. I may be inclined to act frumpy as well if someone put me through all of that!! She has been so much better now that she is settled in, I go right in the enclosure to clean and change things, no problem. She made a huge web tunnel and covered it with moss, never comes out that I know of and I can still see her which is more than most Lividum owners can say...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What can I say, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt, she didn't mean it:laugh: !!! I figure she was poked with a stick, her home destroyed at the pet store, jammed into a cup, rode over an hour in the cup then messed with some more. I may be inclined to act frumpy as well if someone put me through all of that!! She has been so much better now that she is settled in, I go right in the enclosure to clean and change things, no problem. She made a huge web tunnel and covered it with moss, never comes out that I know of and I can still see her which is more than most Lividum owners can say...

She's just biding her time waiting for the next opportunity!!!! hahahah

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
I don't normally comment on threads like this. I've only been into t's for a couple years, so there are way more experienced keepers out there.
After reading some of the comments I still find it amazing how all t's can have such different personalities.
To start, I don't handle any of my t's or scorpions. I only bother them when necessary, feeding or cleaning.
I currently have 8 pokies. They are my least nerve racking t's. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying, I show them the utmost respect. They have never threat posed or been "aggressive" in any way. Either they run to their hides, or in the case of the metallicas, they will just sit there.
Now my b vagans is a different story. He's mean. He was calm when I got him. But after 2 molts he flipped a switch. Flicking hairs and posing. Now he's mature and still not friendly.
My e murinus is also a mean t. It has attacked tweezers while cleaning. Threat poses when you open the tank for feeding, etc.
Not sure where I'm going with this. But I've come to realize not all t's always fit into their specific traits. I didn't listen to the mantra that pokies aren't for beginners, and I'm glad I didn't. They are awesome. But you have to ask yourself if you're comfortable dealing with them. If not, don't get one. I'm still a little nervous, and I don't assume they'll always be calm. But I'm aware and ready for any mishaps.
Good luck with whatever you decide to go with...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still find it amazing how all t's can have such different personalities.... But I've come to realize not all t's always fit into their specific traits.
Just like people! Some are nice..Some should be shot on site for their behavior.

So metallicas don't retreat to their burrows??? This is new info for me if so. If that is the case, that has to be more challenging. My rufi always goes home when disturbed.

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
So metallicas don't retreat to their burrows??? This is new info for me if so. If that is the case, that has to be more challenging. My rufi always goes home when disturbed.
Generally speaking... 6 out of 10 times the metallicas stay where they're at and not hide if I'm not using a flashlight. The others duck for cover as soon as I touch the tank locks. If I shine the flashlight at any of my pokies they'll look for cover. My spider room is pretty dark so most of them are out a lot during the day. I've got enough light to clearly see them but it must be dim enough that they feel comfortable being out.
What's interesting is that when they (metallicas) do move, they just walk slowly. The other pokies teleport to their hides. Not sure if my Metallica girls are just more brave or indifferent... They don't seem to fit the standard Metallica or pokie behavior. Kind of starting to wonder if maybe they lack the teleport skill...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for that! My male rufi moves in proportional response to stimuli. So if his home is tapped slightly he may not move- hit harder by accident he takes off. My T room is dark as well- regardless they are all more active at the natural time of night

Fossa

Arachnopeon
I must say it's nice to see lots of constructive responses to this thread, and even nicer to see someone new to the hobby wanting to do research before making impulse purchases!!

Some sound advice here with regards to species, Psalmos are great tarantulas and great "step up" species (although to be fair I have had more fun and games with mine over any of my old worlds haha" It does come down to individual T's to be honest...my G.rosea is down right evil)

Just take your time and things will be fine...just be warned ....that addiction of T's starts all over again when you add in old worlds....I always said no poecs....few poecs later...no baboons....few baboons later.....no asian sp. though ....got a chilobrachys the other week....

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
What's interesting is that when they (metallicas) do move, they just walk slowly. The other pokies teleport to their hides. Not sure if my Metallica girls are just more brave or indifferent... They don't seem to fit the standard Metallica or pokie behavior. Kind of starting to wonder if maybe they lack the teleport skill...
They don't lack it. I have seem them move just as fast as any other Poeci.