Rat bedding?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am contemplating getting a rat again. I last had a rat about 5 years ago and all I rember is how much the bedding smells when soiled. Are there brands Out there to prevent smell? I want to get one from a small size to raise. I just can't stand the smell but I want the companionship that they offer. Any suggestions?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Best stuff to use for mice, rats, ferrets, chinchillas, some snakes, etc is Carefresh. I use it on all my snakes, and our guinea pigs.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
I, too, was always happy with Carefresh. Biggest key to keeping the smell down is to give it plenty of space and clean the cage regularly. Not matter the bedding, it will start to smell if not changed often enough.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I honestly loved yesterdays news for rats. I've kept rats and other rodents for most of my life, and I tried out ALL the different beddings all at once as an experient. Used carefresh, carefresh ultra, walnut bedding, yesterdays news (cat bedding, unscented variety), aspen, that weird crinkle paper stuff, etc. The bedding that held odor the best and longest was yesterdays news.

Honestly though, now I use fleece liners or towels and wash them regularly. Less chance of harmful dust

Lividium

Arachnopeon
I second something like yesterdays news (I use Good Mews it is much cheaper in my area) You don't need a lot at all if you litter box train them.
All 3 of my boys are litter box trained for poo, even litter trained ones will pee all over but its easy to just wash their fleece liners every week.

I hope you are getting more than one rat, they are extremely social and it is borderline cruel to keep one alone. It is just as easy to care for 2 as it is for one anyways, and with a buddy they tend to be bolder and compete for your attention!

If you need any help with diet/toys etc I highly recommend goosemoose.com literally any question you could possibly have about rats can be answered on there.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alot of the wood bedding produces ammonia with their urine.
I prefer not to use care fresh because of the dust, which can get in their eyes and both could effect
sensitive respiratory tracts.
I prefer news paper and a little bit of cedar.
Either way, just more frequent cleaning keeps smells and health better.
(btw get two rats)

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
Carefresh is the best, I used it for all of my rats. At first they were sneezing because of the dust, then they quit. Most likely adapted to it. :)

Elyse

Arachnopeon
Carefresh is what I used to use, my rats didn't smell if I only used a small layer, and changed it often =)

littlelegs

Arachnopeon
We have tried a lot of different brands over the years, but Carefresh is our preferred brand. The odor control is fab. There does not seem to be a big difference between the "regular" and "super" formula, so we save the few extra bucks and just buy the brown regular.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I'm just looking for a nice low maintenance pet that will be some what more aware of me than a fish or something similar. My dog is getting to the point where I'm probably going to have to have him put down soon. He's 15. I don't have the time or heart for another dog, but I'm an animal lover and don't get out of the house often so I need a friend to keep me company. I remembered having my rat years ago and I figured that would be the best solution. A young
One so I can raise it. I love the companionship they offer.

Lividium

Arachnopeon
While they are super easy to care for over all, I wouldn't really consider a rat that low maintenance of a pet, they tend to have a lot of health issues like respiratory infections and tumors so the vet bills can really add up. I have spent over $600 on vet care for 1 rat in a 6 month period.
If you find a good breeder, a real one not a pet store breeder or a backyard breeder, the chances of the rats staying healthy for a long time are much better.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While they are super easy to care for over all, I wouldn't really consider a rat that low maintenance of a pet, they tend to have a lot of health issues like respiratory infections and tumors so the vet bills can really add up. I have spent over $600 on vet care for 1 rat in a 6 month period.
If you find a good breeder, a real one not a pet store breeder or a backyard breeder, the chances of the rats staying healthy for a long time are much better.
That's insane !! I've never brought a rat to the vet .

Lividium

Arachnopeon
Do you just let them die when they are hurt or sick? o_O
I treat mine just like I do my dog or cats, they get the best food, a clean living space, they are all spayed or neutered, get lots of attention, and are given vet care whenever needed.
I do simple medical treatment myself at home though, like abscesses and little things like that, I also no longer take them in for respiratory infections, my vet will just give me the antibiotics I need and it is usually only $6 for a 2 week course for 2 rats. (baytril)

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you just let them die when they are hurt or sick? o_O
I treat mine just like I do my dog or cats, they get the best food, a clean living space, they are all spayed or neutered, get lots of attention, and are given vet care whenever needed.
I do simple medical treatment myself at home though, like abscesses and little things like that, I also no longer take them in for respiratory infections, my vet will just give me the antibiotics I need and it is usually only $6 for a 2 week course for 2 rats. (baytril)
Wellll. . . My rats haven't ever been hurt or sick until the end of life so . . . Yes .
I don't spay or neuter my rats either, I just get all boys or all girls. I know it prevents tumors but seems unnecessary cost for the inevitable .
Just seems too much to spent 100$ on a 4$ pet , They have always done very well without any interventions other than a clean cage
and good food, which is of no special cost either. ( they mostly eat what I eat :) )
I've had one resp infection that cleared with one or two drops of colloidal silver in her water.

pperrotta03

Arachnosquire
Maybe kitty litter might be a good bedding? Or is it still too dusty? I pretty much use aspen bedding for all of my animals such as hamsters, mice, rabbits, and guinnea pigs. Best stuff in the world.

tappy tappa taparoo

Aviara

Arachnoknight
Kitty litter is pretty dusty. I haven't used any of the yesterday's news or similar litters with rats, but I found Carefresh to be worth the extra price as it is softer for the rats (and thus more comfortable) and it really does smell less than wood shavings. Spaying/neutering really is optional unless you want to keep males and females together without breeding, however it is a good idea to have a few hundred set aside for emergency veterinary visits, just like with any other companion animal. Rats are very prone to cancer, and in addition pet store and other lower-quality stock can get respiratory infections frequently. Other incidents can occur including injuries, and it is always a good idea to have vet savings. Rats deserve proper care including veterinary treatment when they are kept as pets, just as a dog or cat does.

Keep in mind that you will need to keep 2 or more rats (of the same gender) in order to have a happy rat. Especially as you want a pet you can spend less time with, a lone rat wil quickly become bored and depressed, which can lead to health issues. There are many articles on the internet and in rat-husbandry books about this topic. Get the pair (or more if you have room) at the same time, and preferably from the same litter. It is much easier for rats to grow up together than to try introducing a grown rat to a new cagemate. Also, keep in mind that rats need large cages with multiple (preferably 3 or more) levels. My personal favorite is the critter nation line of cages - a double unit unless you are only keeping a few rats. These are very large, sturdy cages but they don't take up a lot of room and can be wheeled around. Everything else about rat care you can generally find online, but these pets are slightly more expensive than their actual price tag implies.

Lividium

Arachnopeon
Regular clay kitty litter is not safe for rats, too dusty and if they ingest any it can cause some severe issues. The pelleted paper kitty litter is great though, aspen works well too!

*Skar, I only have to spend $30 per spay/neuter at my vet and to me it is totally worth it, their hair is softer they don't smell at all and then 0 chance of hormonal aggression. I have no issues with people not spaying and neutering rats though, for most people the cost is Way higher anyways, my vet just rocks lol!

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Regular clay kitty litter is not safe for rats, too dusty and if they ingest any it can cause some severe issues. The pelleted paper kitty litter is great though, aspen works well too!

*Skar, I only have to spend $30 per spay/neuter at my vet and to me it is totally worth it, their hair is softer they don't smell at all and then 0 chance of hormonal aggression. I have no issues with people not spaying and neutering rats though, for most people the cost is Way higher anyways, my vet just rocks lol!
I've never tried to spay or neuter a rat . . .
However it's good to hear that you can have those benefits and results.

pperrotta03

Arachnosquire
How much would it be to spay/neuter them regularly? Without the amazing benefit for 30 bucks per rat

tappy tappa taparoo

Lividium

Arachnopeon
From my understanding it can be anywhere from $60-300 per rat for spays and neuters, if you are in the NE though you can adopt them already spayed and neutered for cheaper than that from mainly rat rescue!