rarest t

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Chicken eating spider. Though I'm not 100% sure it's a T, but it seemed so. As far as I know it was only officially filmed once in the wild and is not commercially available. I don't know what scientific name it has, if it has one yet.

About more commercial T's you could also do a search, there are many threads on that topic.

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
I would say that it is Mascaraneus remotus, Gallon, 2005 which can only be found on Serpent Island, which is north of Mauritius. Can't say what the population of this spider is on this island, but the island itself is only 19 ha in size!
If I remember corect? Its main source of food is ment to be a CITES listed lizerd that can also only be found on this Island.
:)

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
commercially: P. subfusca/metallica?
non-commercially: i'd say guess the one Tescos just said.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Chicken eating spider. Though I'm not 100% sure it's a T, but it seemed so. As far as I know it was only officially filmed once in the wild and is not commercially available. I don't know what scientific name it has, if it has one yet.

About more commercial T's you could also do a search, there are many threads on that topic.
I was intrigued by this and did some Googling, I found these articles.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/deepjungle/episode2_nicholas.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/spiderman.shtml

...I want one. Bad.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm...that chicken spider stuff is pretty interesting!! So it's in the genus Pamphobeteus? I wonder how long till their in circulation in the hobby?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im wondering if the pics of it with its "babies" have been doctored?

Endugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like the blondi is gona have a freind{D

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gigus said:
im wondering if the pics of it with its "babies" have been doctored?
not unless they can doctor footage as well. i saw a special about this species on Animal Planet once. a gregarious T, who would've guessed?

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, the article says there can be up to 50 juveniles in a burrow with the mother :eek: Sounds like they'd be easy to raise in captivity if they could be kept in the same enclosure as the mother :D I wonder If there's anywhere you can buy s'lings?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scolopendra55 said:
Wow, the article says there can be up to 50 juveniles in a burrow with the mother :eek: Sounds like they'd be easy to raise in captivity if they could be kept in the same enclosure as the mother :
i would love a tank that big lol

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Molitor said:
not unless they can doctor footage as well. i saw a special about this species on Animal Planet once. a gregarious T, who would've guessed?
This is a little off topic but Holothele incei can be kept in large colonies. Many will stay in the same burrow. The mother will even feed the young and, if there is a sufficient food souce, there is almost no cannabalism. The problem seems to be that the colony gets overcrowded.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm envisioning an entire room dedicated to this species of Tarantuala.

I would use a few feet of the usual kinds of substrate with plenty of live plants, hides and artificial borrows with cameras inside. My Mom's friend raises chickens...

Now, all I have to do is convince my wife of this. It's a real chance to make some significant contributions to science. I'm sure I could sell the 'slings fairly easily too.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm... really a difficult question.

But, P. metallica or P. subfusca are IMO NOT really rare.

I think there are few who could be very rare also in wild. Just for example: S. satanas, P. alluaudi are known only from one single male specimen.
Nobody had seen them again over 100 years.

In the hobby there are quite rarely species then P. metallica/subfusca: E. olivacea, O. costalis, T. insignis, S. c. griseipes, O. andersoni, I. valentinus, C. karlamani, Augacephalus spp., Harpactira spp., Harpactirella spp., Phoneyusa spp., Anoploscelus spp., ect ....