rare find for a great price!

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just came back from the expo show, and at first I was disapointed to find that only one vender had scorps for sale. On his table he only had P. imperators and a couple of sub adult O. walberghi (a great looking scorp). After talking to the vendor I found that he had brought a scorp that was for sale but not on the table due to its toxicty, and he wasn't just going to sell it to just anyone. It turned out to be a full grown L. quinquestriatus and for the mere price of $40 I couldn't say no. I will put some pics up soon.

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice buy! I've come to realize that most invert vendors at the expo's have more to offer than what is visible, you just have to ask the right way.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Yes, Javis, that is actually quite helpful information.:D:D

Glad you got it! And yes, pictures please when you can.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't wait to see the pictures. Best of luck and be very careful, their not something you can make a mistake with.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't wait to see the pictures. Best of luck and be very careful, their not something you can make a mistake with.
I never hold any of my scorps, and I always take precuation when I move them or cleaning thier tanks, but I am definatly going to take extra precaution with this one.

sorry I haven't posted any pics yet, I had to clean and set up it's new home, not to mention sell the OBT that was occuping it, I will put some pics up tomorrow.

Last edited:

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
In Britain it does, but not in the US.
I have heard some places require a permit or buthids are not allowed to be kept in the U.S...something like that. I can't really remember where though, so maybe someone could help.

@Javis, again, congradulations, your cunning and observation was lucky this time I guess.:D:D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never hold any of my scorps, and I always take precuation when I move them or cleaning thier tanks, but I am definatly going to take extra precaution with this one.

sorry I haven't posted any pics yet, I had to clean and set up it's new home, not to mention sell the OBT that was occuping it, I will put some pics up tomorrow.
Don't forget to put together an emergency care sheet info... for the hospital, so they know what type of scorpion it was... who has the antivenin for it and so on. I plan to get one in the future... but I plan to have a fairly complicated double enclosure prepared for it. I already spoke with poison control, they directed me to the San Diego zoo for info on the nearest antivenin. I'll be calling them soon for more info.

I'm a prepare for the worst case kind of girl...

llamastick

Arachnoknight
I have heard some places require a permit or buthids are not allowed to be kept in the U.S...something like that. I can't really remember where though, so maybe someone could help.
As far as I know, there's no federal regulation regarding any arachnids. Certain insects which are deemed potentially invasive, including nearly all stick insects, are banned, though. Some states might have regulation, but most don't. I know Florida requires a permit for roaches.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
As far as I know, there's no federal regulation regarding any arachnids. Certain insects which are deemed potentially invasive, including nearly all stick insects, are banned, though. Some states might have regulation, but most don't. I know Florida requires a permit for roaches.
Thanks, I remember that Florida has some kind of law...I don't think that they have them where I live, though, so I'm okay.:D

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so here are some pics of it ( I haven't sexed it yet, but i'm pretty sure it's male) expolring it's new home. I'm keeping it in a small KK with about 2 1/2 in of substrate, a mix of 80% sand and 20% sphagnum peat moss just to help hold the soil to allow burrowing.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey jarvis nice scorp. Just curious wuts the white out looking stuff on its tail?
Good question, not sure. when I got it the white stuff was on the tail, I tried my best to clean it off with a lightly damp paint brush, it didn't like it that much:mad: so for now i will leave it alone, there are some rocks in his cage so hopefuly it will scrap off at some point.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Doesn't a scorpion like that require a liscense? :?
I have looked into this a while back, and it varies from state to state, here in Washington there is very little restrictions on keeping arachnids (except for centipedes), however there are a ton on keeping snakes.