Raising T. blondi...Right!

Them

Arachnopeon
I don't know how sarcasm got onto the end of that link but Hobo found the correct link...Thanks Hobo.

The whole environment looks really wet and damp and humid. Do most T. blondi owners keep their T's in a similar way?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know how sarcasm got onto the end of that link but Hobo found the correct link...Thanks Hobo.

The whole environment looks really wet and damp and humid. Do most T. blondi owners keep their T's in a similar way?
If it's T. blondi, then yes. This species requires high humidity.

Jared781

Arachnobaron

yes.. they are swamp dwellers

This is how Jon3800 houses his T. blondi <----- (note: how he covered up basically all the ventilation)

Last edited:

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Please note they aren't actually swamp dwellers. They are from the rainforest. Swamp dwellers is a terrible descriptive label for saying high humidity/damper environments.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please note they aren't actually swamp dwellers. They are from the rainforest. Swamp dwellers is a terrible descriptive label for saying high humidity/damper environments.
Ever been in a swamp?

Ever been in a rain forest?

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Swamps and a rainforests are two different things. I understand the logic in using the terms interchangeably, but they aren't the same. To my knowledge no tarantula should be kept in 'swamp' conditions. There are swamps in some areas of certain rainforest (low lying drainage) but I can't think of any terrestrial/burrowing species that would live there. Happy to be proven wrong though!

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ever been in a swamp?

Ever been in a rain forest?
Yes and yes and what Comatose said.

Please don't take offense to what I said(considering you were the one who basically coined the term): it was worded poorly. I understand the point of the high ambient humidity and moist substrate. I just know that the first image that comes to my head with swamp isn't very far off from basically marshland with more trees. I'm sure for many, especially those who have never actually been to a swamp, the first image they think of is very similar to a scene out of Scooby-Doo. Mimicking an environment like that would not be beneficial to any tarantula.

Again, I honestly couldn't come up with a better term myself, so I mean no offense.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
An analogy in the context of this discussion;

Swamp = sponge sitting half submerged in a puddle of standing water.
Rainforest = sponge with water dripping on it with varying frequency such that it never gets completely dry and excess water can drain away. It may turn into a swamp temporarily on a seasonal basis.

You probably don't want your blondi permanently living on the half submerged sponge but it's possible occasional flooding could be useful for triggering certain desired behaviors.

Bill