Raising slings vs Buying adults

BrokenLegBaboon

Arachnosquire
Is it just me or does everyone also find it more satisfying to raise slings rather than buying adults? I have bought both slings and adults but somehow I just can’t seem to connect with the adults the same way I connect with those I’ve raised.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Everytime I buy adult T.'s, I know they're mines now, but it doesn't feel like it. Because they were raised and cared for by someone else, or were taken from where there from. I personally prefer raising from slings, that way I feel like the ownership is actually mines and not anyone else's.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I actually enjoy both, for different reasons.

Raising slings is great... getting to see them grow, knowing your dedication and careful attention is allowing them to thrive, etc. It is pretty cool!

But buying adults is also incredibly satisfying, as they are an immediate investment in the future of the hobby (if you breed Ts... we do). Especially finding a mature female of a species you are raising up a few slings of, thus knowing you have a mate for any that turn out to be male (though MM loans and trades are great, too!).

But I also don't have that "must raise it from a baby" mentality in general... as an equestrian, I have purchased many adult horses... as a dog trainer/handler, I have imported and purchased adult dogs...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I'm with Teal, I don't have the 'must raise it from a baby otherwise it isn't fully mine' mentality. I'm fine with buying them as slings or as adults, either way doesn't really matter for me. Sometimes I prefer buying adults for slower growing species, while other times I'll buy slings of fast growing species. Or sometimes I'll just buy the slings because I'm fascinated with the species and I'd like to watch it grow.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I would say buying slings is better because you would know how old your T is. Buying an adult T you take your chances, it could be near the end of it life.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
I went the sling route and just a couple juveniles.

Slings are boring brown spiders, most are now getting some cool colors now.

I’m at near max on my collection, and any more I buy will be adults or maybe juveniles.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I don’t feel a connection with any T I have and I buy them based on which species I want, rather than what size they are.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slings are boring brown spiders
If you think that, you're not keeping the right kinds of slings! Have you ever looked at the slings of C. cyanopubescens? C. versicolor? P. irminia? Many of the Avicularia, Hapalopus, or Pamphobeteus species? (just to name a few!) There are a great many slings that are quite colorful and beatifully marked!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Slings are boring brown spiders.
If you think that, you're not keeping the right kinds of slings! Have you ever looked at the slings of C. cyanopubescens? C. versicolor? P. irminia? Many of the Avicularia, Hapalopus, or Pamphobeteus species? (just to name a few!) There are a great many slings that are quite colorful and beatifully marked!
x2^

How can you say that they’re boring as brown when you have the nice blue slings of Phormictopus and the colorful slings of some Pamphos? Haha

0616E64A-4481-4751-9B85-4F23D080A90E.jpeg BAC4596C-9271-41DF-A88F-B75EFD269253.jpeg

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would say buying slings is better because you would know how old your T is. Buying an adult T you take your chances, it could be near the end of it life.
Unless the seller tells you a hatch date, you still have no idea how old a sling is.

I have a 3/4" sling that I have had for 2 years... a 2" juvenile that I have had for 4 years... So yeah, while you do know they aren't near the end of their life that doesn't mean you know their age.

I don’t feel a connection with any T I have and I buy them based on which species I want, rather than what size they are.
I cannot comprehend what that is like, to not have any connection to animals I have.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Doesn't matter much to me for most species. Exceptions are slings that go through color changes- C. cyaneopubescens, H. incei- absolutely love the gold on their carapaces.

View media item 41788
Another exception are the slow growing species- Aphonopelmas and the like. If I have the chance to, I'd rather go with juveniles or adults, only because it takes years for them to grow.

If it's a fast or mid growing species, it doesn't matter one bit. I will say there's a bit of nice satisfaction to get a tiny sling to juvenile/adulthood though.. loved how fast the P. cambridgei grew and became quite fond of him. Unfortunately he hit MM stage just shy of a year of having him. Felt way too short and am missing the guy. Sold him as a breeder and am already thinking of buying some of his slings back if the leggy dude was successful.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I DETEST dealing with the vials of the teensy 1/4 inch slings. However, once they're 3/4-1 inch and the care becomes less fussy, it becomes a lot more enjoyable to me and from that point, I do prefer slings over buying adults.

Sykomp

Arachnopeon
I do both, but I prefer to buy a sub-adult female if I can - the best of both worlds
I kind of agree with this. I don't really like the idea of buying adult T's, but on the other hand I have bought all of mine as decent sized juvies. I have nothing against having slings but I tend to stress a lot about stupid things, like would I find proper feeders, or what if I have to go somewhere for a while and they will die of dehydration, etc.
Getting a juvenile means less stupid worrying and yet you still can see them grow, which for me is an essential part of developing emotional connection to any pet, as I can't keep anything if I don't have that. I'm sure I'll end up getting a sling at some point, but right now watching juvies grow has been enough.

I guess that means I'm in the middle in this? Haha.

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I don't mind either. My hubby bought us Leela as an adult, but we've still love her as much as the others, and her pin wheel eating ritual cracks us up! It's so funny!!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
The vast majority of my collection are slings, and I only have a handful of juveniles and mature Ts. I like watching them grow, knowing they're growing well and are healthy is very satisfying for me.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I cannot comprehend what that is like, to not have any connection to animals I have.
That’s not to say I don’t like them, care for them and enjoy them. But there’s no emotional connection. No point in me pretending there is.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
That’s not to say I don’t like them, care for them and enjoy them. But there’s no emotional connection. No point in me pretending there is.
I'd have to agree with this, I immensely enjoy caring for them and love watching them grow, along with all the other things that go on with keeping them, but I don't form that 'emotional bond' with it as I would a cat or monitor lizard (can't really say dog yet since I never kept one). Doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset if one passed, I'd be pretty damn upset if one passed. I did have a connection with the snakes and the other reptiles (as well as cats) I had because they're more handle-able.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's nothing wrong with that! I just form emotional attachments to every living thing I have :)

I'd have to agree with this, I immensely enjoy caring for them and love watching them grow, along with all the other things that go on with keeping them, but I don't form that 'emotional bond' with it as I would a cat or monitor lizard (can't really say dog yet since I never kept one). Doesn't mean I wouldn't be upset if one passed, I'd be pretty damn upset if one passed. I did have a connection with the snakes and the other reptiles (as well as cats) I had because they're more handle-able.
You have never... had... a dog?! :astonished:

I bond with different types of animals on different levels, of course... but I do have an emotional attachment to them all. I still have dreams about my first OBT (my second T ever), in which he is dog-sized and cuddly lol. He passed away almost 10 years ago and is still in my freezer... someday I'll make a display for him.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
You have never... had... a dog?! :astonished:

I bond with different types of animals on different levels, of course... but I do have an emotional attachment to them all. I still have dreams about my first OBT (my second T ever), in which he is dog-sized and cuddly lol. He passed away almost 10 years ago and is still in my freezer... someday I'll make a display for him.
Working on it haha. Planning to get one when I move out, my parents are allergic/scared/find them a nuisance after growing up in India sadly aha.