Quick Question with Regalis sling

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
Greetz again. Just for some reassurance really, my regalis sling is 1 1/2 inches big and im wondering what these species do pre-molt because it appears to be webbing up his little area alot more, and now hes even started a little bit of ground housing, and has made a little cave thing. Is this normal behaviour for an arboreal? most of the time hes just sitting at the top of the box

thanks!

btw. for those who read it a while ago, my 3" vagans is still in his hole, has been for 11 days now, i notice the substrate changes slightly sometimes, does this mean hes coming out? anyhow, hope it all goes well!

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
Right, hes made an even bigger cave now and i think hes hiding in it with the front of his legs sticking out, looks like hes guna ambush something, i havnt fed him since hes been down there due to him getting a huge treat yesterday plus i dont know if hes molting or what??

Has anyone had their regalis do this before? What is it doing? help!

Thanks!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Wel my P.ornata sling used to hide and come out before a molt instead of sticking to the side of the vial 24/7. I would say just keep an eye in it and wait it out. Don't feed it for a while and se what happens!!! :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Although arboreal, they still need to construct a home base. Think of it as a bird nest.

And yes, the frenzied construction might be due to an impending molt. Make sure the spider is well watered, and wait a couple days to feed if you sense it is going to shed.

But all arboreals I have kept that are adjusted and thriving construct a web retreat.

Very normal.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
most of my Poecilotheria slings construct a *house* at the base of the cork bark. They use the end of the bark and the substrate to build a little nest. Once they are large, they don't seem to use this nest as often. My adults are usually out in the open, either on the cork bark itself, or on the side of the container.

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
Ccrazy little thing, it does sound like a little home base, he seems to have abandoned his higher web spot!

Its alot easier for him to catch stuff down there though, he ate 2 crix away no problems, leaping out of his lair and almost jumping to catch one that was ambling on the edge of a leaf about 1 1/2 inches above him! The other one fell victim to his newly acquired trap door/ambush skills :D

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My pokie slings always web more before a molt. They web themselves in and become lethargic. Then they molt and double in size :eek: . They are fascinating and one of my favorites.