Questions From A Newbie

Xafron

Arachnosquire
I think you got it right. Not sure why others are putting up other spiders to keep instead of the Avic.
I think you're good to go if you get a juvie or adult. Only change i'd advise is maybe switch to a Avicularia avicularia, or C.versicolor since they are a bit less fragile.
Browse on this site's gallery for 'arboreal enclosure' or 'Avicularia enclosure' to get inspired for its enclosure.
@Andrea82 But that's part of what I am trying to understand...Purpurea adults are fragile in what way? Or is there just not an answer to that right now due to them not being as common in the hobby?

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
@Andrea82 But that's part of what I am trying to understand...Purpurea adults are fragile in what way? Or is there just not an answer to that right now due to them not being as common in the hobby?
When I was starting out with Ts I thought I had read every book ever written on Ts in English AND German and most of the internet advice in both languages, too. There were still things that surprised me, because they weren't mentioned in the books and advice sites, like tarantulas can have a dark abdomen for a month or even more before molting, and after molting a large T may move wobbly for a week or two, easily. I thought they were sick and I had to do something.
It's those situations that pose the problems, when something is off. You feel compelled to do something when all you should do is wait it out and you may not notice if something is really wrong and your T needs your help. No one and no book / internet site can prepare you for those situations. If you react wrong, like add moisture when it needed conditions dryer or vice versa or mess around with it when it needed to be left alone an A. purpurea will die. All of the species people usually recommend for beginners will survive a lot of mistakes in those "off" situations.

Xafron

Arachnosquire
When I was starting out with Ts I thought I had read every book ever written on Ts in English AND German and most of the internet advice in both languages, too. There were still things that surprised me, because they weren't mentioned in the books and advice sites, like tarantulas can have a dark abdomen for a month or even more before molting, and after molting a large T may move wobbly for a week or two, easily. I thought they were sick and I had to do something.
It's those situations that pose the problems, when something is off. You feel compelled to do something when all you should do is wait it out and you may not notice if something is really wrong and your T needs your help. No one and no book / internet site can prepare you for those situations. If you react wrong, like add moisture when it needed conditions dryer or vice versa or mess around with it when it needed to be left alone an A. purpurea will die. All of the species people usually recommend for beginners will survive a lot of mistakes in those "off" situations.
Ok, I think I understand finally. Thank you. I have a lot to consider I guess.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So...what am I missing here? I've searched all over online, this place seems to have the most knowledgeable people which is why I am trusting people enough to take their word over a care sheet. What makes Avicularia purpurea adults, or ANY avicularia adults for that matter(metallica, versicolor and so on), difficult to keep? Or are they not difficult at all? Are these just misconceptions spread by poor care due to incorrect care sheets (i.e. high humidity)?
I think a lot of it is just the unfortunate the intersection of statistics (Avics are commonly available in venues where newbies are likely to make impulse purchases) and sensitivity to one particular mistake (too moist and stuffy) that is extremely common due to bad advice. (A care sheet, even if it prescribes a death sentence, is an attractive format, because it is concise and organized. In contrast, the good advice is often buried in discussion forums, and it's hard to know which stranger on the Internet is truly knowledgeable when you have no knowledge.)

Keep in mind that this particular audience has seen many threads about dead or dying Avics (more than other genera). Now, perhaps some of this is a "sampling" issue, as I mentioned earlier, but if you kept seeing these posts by newbies, you might start to believe that there is something about the genus that makes it unsuitable as a first tarantula, and that it's better to try to steer newbies away from them.

However, given that you are an above-average newbie (doing research in the right place and asking the right questions of the right people), I think that at least the hardier species of juvenile/adult Avicularia are within your capability to care for. (Avicularia avicularia is pretty hardy in my experience.) I will defer to others for the relative hardiness of other species.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think it is fine to start with a juvi or adult A.purpurea.
C.versicolor (former A.versicolor) is also a good first 'avic'.
Just get them when bigger, check out and second opinion your enclosure and you're fine. ;)

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have had no trouble raising avics in vials (although I never did Purpurea). Just don't soak them. A little mist
goes a long way with them, 2-3 days maybe. Remember not to let them dry though. My medium is always
peat moss not that awful sphagnum stuff. I bought tall plastic cookie jars at Target, drilled a bunch of small
holes in the top. The jars were about 10" to 12" high and about 5" to 6" diameter. Once the spiders get 1"
long you can move them to the jars. The jars contain small cookies or candy so you can pig out on the
contents before rinsing them and adding a couple of inches of peat moss, the avics will web the jars up
quickly and Voila! there you are.

Christian Moresco

Arachnopeon
Im rather new to the hobby and feel i can shed a little light and ease your worry over things like humidity. Firstly i recommend getting what YOU want within reason.(In other words dont get in over your head with a super defensive and fast T) However do your research and be careful and you will be good. Most taranulas dont have crazy strict humidity needs and i have yet to find one i want that is any harder than my crested gecko when it comes to humidity. If you want an Avic for T number one go for it just make sure you have the husbandry down prior to receiving the T. However here are some terrestial t's that i think are cool and well within the capabilities of someone that is new to the hobbie!

Hapaloupus Sp. Columbia Large.- I recommend this as it is a fast grower voracious eater and rather easy to care for however you do need to make sure that the lower layers of the
substrate are not bone dry you dont have to freak over it. It is a fast T. in growth and speed not to mention it can be skittish so be prepared however it is very cool looking doesn't get too big and webs like crazy! (Most people freak over tiny slings like these that can be 1/4 of an inch however these little guys will attack things far larger than themselves making it easy to know they are eating however dont put in a live feeder with them regardless for their saftey!)

GBB - Simple care no humidity eats great looks good and webs well enough said!

Megaphobema robustum - Very good looking T that gets to a pretty good size eats well and is rather simple to care for. They do however need a little bit of moisture in the substrate not a lot but a little