Questions about millipede care

MaeRose

Arachnopeon
Three main questions about millipede care:

1. For the water I use in the enclosure, do I have to use bottled water, or is treating tap water with the water conditioner I use for my fish okay?

2. I know that under-substrate heating pads are not recommended, but is a small heater on the side of the tank still dangerous, or would that be helpful?

3. I've heard from some that I need a water dish and others say not to use a water dish and that all of the necessary water comes from the food. Which is correct?

Thank you so much for your help!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the treated water is safe for your fish, it should be fine for your millipedes, too. (I use reverse-osmosis filtered water for my millipedes.)

The heating pad may be helpful if the room where you keep the millipedes is a bit on the chilly side and/or you are keeping millipede species that require a higher temperature, but most millipedes should do just fine at room temperature. If you do decide to use a heating pad, it should definitely be on the side of the tank rather than at the bottom, because their natural instinct if they get too hot will be to dig down - toward the heat source, in the case of an under-tank heating pad, which could end up cooking them. Also, any sort of supplemental heating will speed up water evaporation and dry out your substrate faster.

I do not use a water dish for my millipedes. I just keep their substrate a little on the moist side - but not soggy - and they get moisture from the veggies and decaying wood or leaves they eat.

Millipedes will also need a source of calcium, such as calcium powder, cuttlebone, or powdered egg shell.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
I just used bottled water.

Millipedes don't really need heat pads unless it's pretty cold. Put it on one side of the tank. That way the Millipedes can go where it is best.

If you're really worried about dehydration then put a water dish, nothing too big. Honestly, a properly set up enclosure is pretty self sustaining for the most part.

Have fun raising your Millipedes, watch out for babies . They are adorable!

MaeRose

Arachnopeon
Millipedes will also need a source of calcium said:
I have a cuttlebone. :) Wil I need to grind it up and mix it into the substrate/food, or will he be able to eat it as is?

AZCeptipede

Arachnosquire
They should be able to just eat it, their mouths are like little scraping tools.

cecdog

Arachnopeon
I use a side heat mat and put a little water dish filled with water next to it to keep the humidity up. I would use filtered or spring water, you could buy a gallon jug and it would last forever. Throw some pebbles in the water dish in case you have any babies, that way they don't drown.