Questions about G.Pulchripes!

ChacoCaleb

Arachnopeon
So I recently became instantly affectionate toward T's and I eventually built up the courage to buy my own. The species I've gone for is the G.Pulchripes because after research they seem right for me. I do however have some questions about them and would help alot if I knew the answers to them. (By the way my apologies if this is the wrong thread)

1. Are smaller slings better for beginners coming into this hobby (e.g. .5") and if so how long does it take for them to reach around 2" - 3"?
2. If smaller slings are suitable for beginners how big of an enclosure is needed for them and how big do they grow before they need a bigger home?
3. Does this particular breed tend to burrow and if so how deep would the substrate need to be to fill they're needs.

Thanks in advance for your help and can't wait to have a T. of my own :).

emitellall

Arachnopeon
1. I think its a personal preference as far as size goes. Smaller spiderlings are a bit more fragile, but G. pulchripes is a hardy species. Heres a thread on growth rate: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/pulchripes-growth-exactly-how-slow-is-slow.260985/#post-2260490 I like having slings so that I can watch them grow up and have them longer.
2. This depends on how large the sling is. The "rule" of thumb is to have an enclosure 4 times longer than the leg span (on the long side or a rectangular enclosure) and 2 times the leg span on the short side. I have my 1.25" golden knee in a 16 oz deli cup (the kind you can sometimes find in the bulk food sections of bigger grocery stores...the shorter and wider ones). If a round container is your choice best to stick with a diameter that is 3 times the leg span. They wont outgrow their container until a molt happens, and when it does the dimensions will no longer be suitable as above.
3. Burrow, not exactly. Mine moves lots of dirt around, but its more like "redecorating" than burrowing. I have found him/her with its butt sticking up out of the substrate on occasion though. A delightful little T and always fun to watch.

Here is an example
gpulchripes.jpg

Some additional threads on G. pulchripes:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/juvenile-pulchripes-care.274090/#post-2376230
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-questions.274074/#post-2376105

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Welcome to the hobby! Good choice for beginner T. They are pretty tough,don't be afraid of a little sling,all you need do is cut a cricket in half,and let it scavenge feed of of it for a molt or 2 until it can take live prey.Good luck!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I can only say that my 0.1 (the only "Chaco" i have now) is by far one of the most crazy & moody Theraphosidae of my collection (my collection is made of "Baboons" and NW intermediate at 90%).
I noticed that those "type" of T's, and Grammostola genus in general, as juvenile/adults prefer to use an opportunistic hide if you offer them one (cork bark, caves etc) rather than burrow, however i offer always to my T's more inches of substrate than the "normal" rule (you never know, in case the want).
A lot of slings (arboreal ones included) burrow, that's how they survive, basically.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I recently became instantly affectionate toward T's and I eventually built up the courage to buy my own. The species I've gone for is the G.Pulchripes because after research they seem right for me. I do however have some questions about them and would help alot if I knew the answers to them. (By the way my apologies if this is the wrong thread)

1. Are smaller slings better for beginners coming into this hobby (e.g. .5") and if so how long does it take for them to reach around 2" - 3"?
2. If smaller slings are suitable for beginners how big of an enclosure is needed for them and how big do they grow before they need a bigger home?
3. Does this particular breed tend to burrow and if so how deep would the substrate need to be to fill they're needs.

Thanks in advance for your help and can't wait to have a T. of my own :).
Two things, if you are going to use the scientific names for the T. the species name is lower case, not capitalized.
And each tarantula species out there is not a breed. Each unique animal has its own genus and species name for taxonomic classification/identification.

1. No. but w/this species completely possible unless the owner doesn't care about their pet that much. Many New World terrestrials are excellent for beginners at a small size
2. At 0.5 inch a 16 oz deli cup will be fine. Rate of growth is depends on 3 three things 1. How often you feed the T 2. how warm the ambient and container temperatures are 3 and the gender of the T, males tend to grow faster than females
3. For a small one, like 0.5 inches, you could give it a few inches of substrate. My adult female doesn't really burrow too much, but she does like to utilize cork bark slabs to form structures to web on/against.

ChacoCaleb

Arachnopeon
Thanks to everyone for answering my questions and my apologies to my lack of knowledge.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks to everyone for answering my questions and my apologies to my lack of knowledge.
You are quite welcome. No need to apologize, no one was born with this knowledge, come back again!!

cold blood

Staff member
For a first, especially considering they aren't too expensive, my suggestion would be to get something at least 1.5". It will just make things easier as they t will be a better eater and its growth will be more noticeable, Plus, I wouldn't want to be waiting a year or more to see my first t's colors.

Wonderful species, and a great first choice.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
G. pulchripes is an ideal tarantula if you want affordable, pretty, tough, medium-fast growth rate, and handable. Please don't start the handling Ts debate.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
G. pulchripes is an ideal tarantula if you want affordable, pretty, tough, medium-fast growth rate, and handable. Please don't start the handling Ts debate.
Without talking about the handling part i wouldn't say handable. "Chacos" are moody T's.

cold blood

Staff member
I disagree Chris, they are typically laid back unless you are a roach or cricket.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My chacos have two moods , sleepy and sleepier . All of mine quit burrowing after they reached 4" or so, now they flatten all their decor and lay on it like lazy sunbathers.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I disagree Chris, they are typically laid back unless you are a roach or cricket.
From my experience, compared to the other T's of Grammostola genus i mean, 0.1 "Chaco" are a bit moody as adults, but nothing to worry about of course. Mine acts just like my 0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata, always alert and ready to investigate, unlike Grammostola rosea (save for that rare % of 'Psycho rose hair') for instance, less active than a wardrobe.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
I had a huge 6" female who would go into a threat position at the slightest provocation. Very moody, I have seen several adults with differing temperaments from both ends of the spectrum.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I got my first ever dry bite from my JF. It sounds as though they can by as moody as the G. rosea/porteri.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why both mentioning handling at all then? That's pretty odd to mention it based on the OPs questions IMO.

My AF I've owned since a 0.5" sling. Never an issue with her, no threat etc.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'd just rather assume that the entire Grammostola genus can be moody. The porteri/rosea are just the most commonly sold and thus most notorious for it. But I've heard many instances of moody pulchripes and even pulchras as well, which are supposed to be "calm" species.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Mine just sits there and only springs to life if you're food. Usually shes plastered halfway on the wall, showing her belly to the world

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd just rather assume that the entire Grammostola genus can be moody. The porteri/rosea are just the most commonly sold and thus most notorious for it. But I've heard many instances of moody pulchripes and even pulchras as well, which are supposed to be "calm" species.
My G.pulchripes, besides my P.metallica, has attempted to bite me the most out of anything else I have and my G.iheringi has attempted to bolt more than my T.gigas ever have. I think they get the moody reputation as they are considered a good beginner genus and are pretty common so the "mood swings" really stand out. But I know that mine certainly don't play by the rules, besides growing slow.