Question on ID?

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ID please? Updated 10-05 w/PICS

I just purchased a scorpion with an unknown identity other than the fact that it was labeled as a "desert scorpion", my question is how big would the scorp have to be to get a somewhat possible ID? This little guy is maybe 2nd instar, yellow in color with light darkness on his back, very fast and aggressive, I mentioned H. arizonensis but they said they had a biologist come in and said it wasn't Hadrurus sp.(I have my doubts). As soon as I can get my friend over to take some pics I'll be sure to post them up.

Well a lot of the pics came out kind of blurry, :(

The rest can be seen here. http://www.bimmerjim.com/SeansCritters.htm

Last edited:

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Check out my thread: Calling all Hadrurus Keepers...
I have several pictures of 2nd instar H. arizonensis scorplings in there for comparison... the thread is probably on the second page of the board currently (I could be wrong about that though).

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just looked at your thread and you have some very nice pics, I would say after looking at your pics that it's not a H. arizonensis, the mesosoma is lighter in color, the chela on mine is more developed(larger) and the fingers are black.

I was doing a lot of searching yesterday and to me it resembles an H. spadix, but once again the mesosoma is lighter in color, or is it possible that because it is so young that's the reason it's light and it would get darker as it ages? :?

I just really need to get some pics up. :eek:

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heres 1 of the 5 V.spinigerus I got today

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

that´s definitely a Vaejovid, although I don´t think one can tell the exact species by that pics. Also I don´t think it´s 2nd instar, should be somewhat older, maybe even adult.

Regards
Alex

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stevenhman said:
I'm not anywhere close to an expert but maybe V. coahuilae? Seems around the right size. Neat little fella!

whoops, edited
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/v_coahuilae.jpg
I'd have to say that you are right. :clap:

Well from the short time that I've had him, he seems to be a specie that likes to hide, from the moment that I turned the half-broken dish upside down he dug under and around it and hasn't came out. :rolleyes:

On the plus side I fed him a small cricket today and he instantly went after it although I didn't see whether or not if he stung it before he ate it. :(

Anyways thanks everybody for the help with the ID. :worship:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.

I agree with everyone here respectively

It could be "subadult" of V. spinigerus or an adult of V. coahuilae. Both look the same due to the dark carinae on the ventral metasoma segments and the smooth pedipalp chela. The only real difference is adult size.

Both can be found sympatric in distribution but marginal with the presumption these are are from AZ which I do think they are. :? V. spinigerus abudant in AZ and V. coahuilae in NM/TX but some overlap regarding counties in such states.

Kind Regards.

Sinc. Chad :)

stevenhman

Arachnopeon
Kind of off topic but, where'd you get the little guy? I just love it when I see "Desert Scorpion"/"Bark Scorpion"/"Forest Scorpion" and the like on a suppliers list. It's kind of like a grab bag, you're not really sure what you're going to get!

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stevenhman said:
Kind of off topic but, where'd you get the little guy? I just love it when I see "Desert Scorpion"/"Bark Scorpion"/"Forest Scorpion" and the like on a suppliers list. It's kind of like a grab bag, you're not really sure what you're going to get!
I bought it at a local pet shop.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Snake_Eyes said:
I bought it at a local pet shop.
aside from VERY difficult keying, you are not likely to find the species of your scorp

if you knew EXACT location data, down to the county of where it came from you would have a chance... as it is, you can only get guesses

you would need to count sensor hairs on the claws & legs, look for various furrows and processes, count eyes, and random other stuff to nail it down to species

that being said, Vaejovis spp., Serradigitus spp., Paruroctonus spp. would be my guesses

maybe some others, i'll have to look at my literature

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I must note that the pictures were not there when I contributed to this thread :p.

Definitely not a Hadrurus.

I immediately thought Vaejovid too when I saw the pics... nice scorp, nonetheless! :clap: