question on handling t.blondi

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok i know some can be nasty and some are not... i have one thats about 3 inches some where around that. and it seems to be ok for me handling it. if i am wanting it to be docile how often should i handle it.. is it a good idea to start them while there young

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tcrazy said:
ok i know some can be nasty and some are not... i have one thats about 3 inches some where around that. and it seems to be ok for me handling it. if i am wanting it to be docile how often should i handle it.. is it a good idea to start them while there young

i wouldn't not so much for any agressiveness but the urticating hairs on these guys are the worst I have encoutered. It would be like handling that pink fibergalss material. That and one of any size would be more likely to die in a fall because of tehir weight.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when i handle him i keep it low to the ground. it has not yet kicked hairs. since i had it

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The "personality" of the spider as well as its behavior is at best unpredictable. Whenever you decide to handle a tarantula, you should be prepared for a good fanging. That said, I believe that if you are trying to "train" the spider to become used to regular handlings, you are probably best off handling it as often as you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't handle right after a molt or just after or during feedings. However, I would assume that the more accustomed the spider was to being handled, the less chance you would have of an accidental bite. I would also venture to say that the earlier in a spiders life that handling begins, the more time the spider will have to become used to being handled. I'm not telling you to handle any tarantula. But if you're going to want a spider you can handle regularly without incident, I guess you'll just have to try it out and see what happens.
Again, I'm NOT reccomending that anybody ever handle any spider.
Best of luck! :) :)

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
out of all my ts the versi is the only one i handle. but i took a chance. got courious. nothing happend yet... not trying to say nothing would. its hard to dicide if i wanta keep handling her or not...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jaygnar said:
The "personality" of the spider as well as its behavior is at best unpredictable. Whenever you decide to handle a tarantula, you should be prepared for a good fanging. That said, I believe that if you are trying to "train" the spider to become used to regular handlings, you are probably best off handling it as often as you feel comfortable with. I wouldn't handle right after a molt or just after or during feedings. However, I would assume that the more accustomed the spider was to being handled, the less chance you would have of an accidental bite. I would also venture to say that the earlier in a spiders life that handling begins, the more time the spider will have to become used to being handled. I'm not telling you to handle any tarantula. But if you're going to want a spider you can handle regularly without incident, I guess you'll just have to try it out and see what happens.
Again, I'm NOT reccomending that anybody ever handle any spider.
Best of luck! :) :)
I think that this is one the best pieces of advice about the topic of handling. The risks are described without any aggressive or condescending attitude. People of every opinion should agree with it!! :worship: :clap: (Just add the topic of possible fall or injury!!!)

I indeed noticed greater tolerance to handling from animals properly accustomed, but it's not enough to say we can actually tame them. I don't reccomand handling, unless you feel very secure and confident, which is not my case, so problem solved for me!!! Unsecure handlers will probably stress their animals way more than calm and careful ones, with all the negative consequences we know!!

I this specific case...Mmmmm, a blondi??????

(Hey people!!! Any account about how blondies react to handling??? Share it with us!!! We should start recording typical species reactionsto it!!!)

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, I don't think it's the spider that gets accustomed to being handled, I think it is the person that gets accustomed to handling. I don't advocate handling, but I am accustomed to handling all kinds of spiders, here's my big girl Blondie the blondi. I had just gotten her in the mail and I was confirming her sex.

Attachments

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that Tarantula keeping is a bit like motorcycling. You have dudes riding 30 km/h on main street listing to country music on their luxury bikes, and you have Evil Kenievel

Spider Tyrant

Arachnopeon
Merfolk said:
I think that Tarantula keeping is a bit like motorcycling. You have dudes riding 30 km/h on main street listing to country music on their luxury bikes, and you have Evil Kenievel
This is the single greatest quote ever. I couldnt agree more.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
arachnids cannot be tamed like reptiles. When that blondi gets bigger and gain confidence, its personality will change.

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tcrazy said:
My T. Blondi was handable at that size. I held her several times. No threat displays, no kicking hairs. As she molted in my care, she started saying "NO" with full fang bared threat displays, and clouds of urticating hairs. Just because it seems docile NOW doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Tarantulas are not puppies, I doubt it will learn to "enjoy" being handled. It may even decide that it absolutely wants nothing to do with you, like mine did.

Also, T. Blondi's get to large and heavy, it could be difficult for you to handle when she's 10 inches long. Even if you are careful, you may end up with a very large splat to clean up.

I wouldn't recommend handling T. Blondi but to each there own.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love to handle and get to know some of my Ts better:} . if you do handle her you may want to have some gloves on as T blondis do tend to be a little on the itchy side that is just what I do. im not saying you should but i dont like to be itchy and I find that helps a lot. as far as getting a T used to being handled I really dont think they work like that. IMO I dont think Ts will remember you or even being handled but if you are more comfortible while you are handling them then you will shake less which will help the T to be less skitish while you are handling them. you can learn not to shake by handling them while they are younger and less defensive is the way I see it. remember Ts work from instinct not memory IMO.
scott

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a theory that Ts change personality after molts, so be careful in this period or you may get surprised, and someone can get hurt, probably your T.

Im not against it but IMO handling Ts are just for the owner´s pleasure, nothing good for the Ts and I don´t think they enjoy it at all.... only tolerate it!

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LeilaNami said:
arachnids cannot be tamed like reptiles. When that blondi gets bigger and gain confidence, its personality will change.
Granted, natral maturation of the spider into adulthood will cause the animal to exhibit new behaviors. However, as for the functioning of the arachnid brain and the ability to develop a routine of handling that, in time, may be well tollerated by the spider, I believe that the subject is still very much open to study. Even specimens of the same species and progeny sometimes vary widely in their patterns of behavior. The idea of completely "taming" the spider to make it docile may not be possible. But with time and careful regular exposure to safe handling practices, I believe that the spider could very possibly develop into an adult that could be handled frequently and without accidental injury to either owner or pet.
That said, I also would have to assume that any chances of succesfuly achieving the goal of a safely handleable adult T. Blondi would be extremely dependant on the actual temperment of the animal in question, as well as every other factor. (stress level, environmental factors, mating cues, Etc.)
Whether or not the spider will become a safely handleable animal remains to be seen but I have to believe that it could go either way untill I see some serious scientific data that would either prove or disprove the Idea.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To the very least, this is not educationnal to the T itself, but to the owner, who will learn to control his/her nervousness. An idea like that : surgeons should have 'tarantula handling' sessions in their training, so they'll shake less when they operate someone's brain!!! :)

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IguanaMama said:
Actually, I don't think it's the spider that gets accustomed to being handled, I think it is the person that gets accustomed to handling. I don't advocate handling, but I am accustomed to handling all kinds of spiders, here's my big girl Blondie the blondi. I had just gotten her in the mail and I was confirming her sex.
wow:eek: ..your my idol:clap:

_Nagash_

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of gloves are "safe"?

If I wear kevlar gloves, will a T.BLondi be able to bite trough?
I`m getting my first T.Blondi in a few days.
The reason for this question is for emergancy reasons.(if i need to catching it or something..

Anyone here got a good T.Blondi Caresheet and an idea for a setup?

Greetings
Robin

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
_Nagash_ said:
If I wear kevlar gloves, will a T.BLondi be able to bite trough?
I`m getting my first T.Blondi in a few days.
The reason for this question is for emergancy reasons.(if i need to catching it or something..

Anyone here got a good T.Blondi Caresheet and an idea for a setup?

Greetings
Robin
If you need to catch it in an emergency, you'd probably be better with a plastic tub and lid. It's not really the bite you have to worry about with T. Blondi, its the hair kicking!

When people mention out the itching, believe it - It's not overstated :)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am also wondering , I dont think Ts can really be tamed, but my Parahybana allows me to pick it up anytime, granted its still small, under 3 inch, but I started holding it right after getting it, so maybe frequent handling does have an effect. Altho she is ok now, I suspect the attitide will change later into being more defensive.