Question on H.spinifer enclosure

draconian22

Arachnopeon
Allright so im picking up some H.spinifer soon, and I intend to possibly have a larger colony in a 70 gallon I have. Now my question is, would the false bottom setup work if I used a peice of plexiglass with holes drilled in it in between the gravel and substrate? Would it still retain a nice humidity? I have read they burrow a bit and would just prefer to be on the safe side though it may be overkill.

Also any idea how many H.spinifer a 70gallon could hold comfortably?

Any info would be appreciated.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the plexiglass idea would work, but you will have to drill alot of holes..

And I think a 70 gal could hold 12 or 13, mabye more. :) just make sure these is enough food and alot of hides.

draconian22

Arachnopeon
I think the plexiglass idea would work, but you will have to drill alot of holes..

And I think a 70 gal could hold 12 or 13, mabye more. :) just make sure these is enough food and alot of hides.
Yeah I was thinking a small hole every inch or half inch, then a big one in the corner for the tube to pour water into.

I was planning on making some sort of second level with more hides, just a few inches off the substrate, maybe 4-5 inches wide, 20 or so wide.

So what kind of lid would be reccomended? I plan to put a lamp on top with an infrared bulb to keep the heat up a bit.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i do not think plexiglass would work as it is to thick and you could not put as many holes in it as you would need to, instead i would reccomend either some steel hardware cloth or some nylon mesh

John

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouldn't it be easier to get an undergravel filter plate for the tank and put it in between the gravel and substrate. Also you could then connect the uplift tube to the plate to fill it with water.

Art

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't even bother putting anything between my substrate and the riverbed stones I use for the false bottom. It seems to work fine. The water level I see (when I pour water in) that envelopes the rocks never even gets murky. It's weird.

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The plexiglass is a little bit overkill and could be difficult to maintain the humidity that is ideal for H. Spinifers. I have a communal of H Spinifer too and I have not had a problem at all with the gravel in my false bottom set-up.

draconian22

Arachnopeon
The plexiglass is a little bit overkill and could be difficult to maintain the humidity that is ideal for H. Spinifers. I have a communal of H Spinifer too and I have not had a problem at all with the gravel in my false bottom set-up.
You wouldnt happen to have a picture of that setup would you?

I may just go with a mesh in between, if that. Just figured I would try to be as safe as possible without them getting caught in a mesh or making it down to the gravel and shoveling any away.

Another question, anyone know the gestation period of a female H.spinifer?