Question for you guys with the huge collections

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you guys are serioulsy underestimating... I have 5 T's four of which are .5-1.5" slings.

120 on spiders including $40 spent on shipping

30 on feed (roaches and crickets)

25 spent on one aquarium and top

30 spent on various critter keepers for the larger slings and feeders

8 spent on tupperware for smaller slings

40 on shelving unit

This is just what I can think of... and this is in the past month and a half!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hovering around 50. I keep a spreadsheet. Included on that spreadsheet are the current values of my Ts at their current sizes. Right now, I'm at around $2500.00. As far as substrate, crix, Ts, enclosures, etc., I would say EASILY $3000.00.

AND WELL WORTH EVERY DIME!!!

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
HEHE!

I have spent 280.00 on everything including crickets form the cricket farm, gut loaders, housing, decorations. I am a bargain shopper. That includes 89 T's and a E.Scorpian. Honest

Papa.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
for me i would say 24 t's is a big collection i have probably spent all together over $600. That is a lot of money for a kid like me!

James

sinsect

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, thanks for making me add all this up :rolleyes: lol
I've acquired the majority of my collection via wholesale/bulk discounts and such.

But even then, a rough estimate for my CURRENT collection alone would easily top $8,000. That's not including feeders, cages, housing matierials, substrate, shelving units, etc. With those included, the cost would probably hover around the $10-12,000 range.
Then again, if I were to insure my spider collection (ha!), the value would probably be in the neighborhood of $50-75,000. yikes. :8o

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anybody checked out getting an "Insurance rider" to cover these, in case of loss?

Ernie

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
I would say, but my wife reads the site... ;)

Scott
hahahahahahahahahha:D :D

Tanks, $150
Shelves $200
Substrate $50
T's $625

being in this hobby....priceless....

You knew it was coming sooner or later

Last edited:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrFeexit
hahahahahahahahahha:D :D

Tanks, $150
Shelves $200
Substrate $50
T's $300

being in this hobby....priceless....

You knew it was coming sooner or later
LOL=D =D =D

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kacey is pretty sure ours is around 3000.... I, have no clue, and don't really want to know either.

Lixar420

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend payed for everything so $0 :) mind you I had to build a lid so i chipped in in a way. lol{D

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In almost seven months and 12 tarantulas im estimating $1000 give or take. $1000 of washing windows and cleaning bathrooms and stairs at my house.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only have 9 tarantulas, and have spent about $300 on the spiders alone. Probably about $500 if I include the bookshelf and breeder boxes. Thanks.... then again, I paid for half my truck in 6 months and that was half of $17500. I could have spent $500 at the bar like some of my friends...

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I've got 8 T's, and I've spent about 180 on them. Some are slings, others nearly adults. I love each one, though, and it's money well spent. :)

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love each one, though, and it's money well spent.
I totally agree with this. I get annoyed when people say things like “I can think of so many better things to do with my money.”

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I have 17 Ts with a couple expensive species. Spiders+feeders were about a grand. The cages, substrate, hides etc. were left from my snake collection. Worth it...

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I realized that my bearded dragon ate about $10 a week in crickets and veggies, while my t's eat like $2 or less every week to ten days. A hobby doesn't need to be a smart investment, just entertaining.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to feel anxious about how much money I was putting into tarantulas, even though my collection is very modest. The most I've had at a time is 17, I think...

Then I got a puppy. Now I'm back to feeling just great about how LITTLE money I spend on tarantulas.

A routine trip to the vet for my darling little Sybil often costs more than most sought-after species, or several months' worth of care for a large collection... Even a couple years' worth, for those of you who are efficient/smart about your sources, materials, doing-it-yourself etc. (RobC comes to mind... That guy amazes me... So much so I'll even use one of these silly emoticons: :clap:)

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not counting as the expenses keep coming in. I used to have a wish T list, but I realized you can never really say your collection is complete.

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
After about a year and 15 adorable new family members, I have spent about $1200. I have a $600 dollar purchase that I am just waiting to gather the rest of the funds together for though.